Georgetown series moved to Norwich | The Boneyard

Georgetown series moved to Norwich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just saw this on the UConn website. Same game times, 3pm on Friday, 1pm on Saturday and Sunday. I'm going to try to make it for the Sunday game, although I'm sure the weather will be on the cool side. I'm working on Friday, and on Saturday I'm going to be in Storrs for the UConn women and the first round of the basketball tournament.

Reaction Score
Also the Cape Cod report on UConn's twitter account has the preliminary rosters for this summer's Cape league. The only two listed, for now, are Connor David & Vin Sienna both playing for Bourne.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Just saw this. Really disappointed. Was looking forward to see this team for the first time.

Reaction Score
I had a bad feeling this would happen.

My wife and I have been season ticket holders with the various Norwich minor league teams for many years (she is a huge baseball fan). I asked her if she could remember if the Norwich Navigators/Defenders ever getting snowed out when we had the AA teams. She remembered that one year in the late 1990's there was a big snow storm a day or two before opening day. She's a reporter for one of the local newspapers, so she was up at Dodd Stadium checking things out, saw all the snow on the field, and thought no way will they play. Well, the Navigator personnel managed to get all the snow off in a way that did not damage the field. Opening day went off as scheduled. Of course, a short season baseball team doesn't have on staff nearly as many people at this time of year as a AA team would.

Next year UConn baseball will be playing in a conference that includes Louisville, Rutgers, Temple, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, and Houston, a nine team league. The conference schedule will no doubt be similar to this year, 24 games, with one team being off a week from conference play during the nine weekends it takes to play the schedule. With more southern teams coming into the mix, I would hope the conference would have the good sense to schedule UConn's off weekend during the first two or three weeks of the season, and have them playing on the road in late March. They could easily avoid scheduling a conference series in Storrs in March. After all, this is not the first time an early season conference series had to be moved away from UConn.

Reaction Score
I sent Chris Jones an email asking if WHUS is still broadcasting the Georgetown series. He said yes.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Conference play usually begins right around the last weekend in March. You really just need to schedule UConn on the road in the first series or two to reasonably prevent this from happening.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Sounds like the defense is really letting Marzi down in the 4th

mets1090

Reaction Score
What should have been a scoreless inning becomes a 3 run inning after a homerun

Reaction Score
Get the first 2 guys out in the inning then give up a bunt single, steal second and then a 2 out single produces a run for G'Town. 5-0. Why does it seem that we give up so many bunt singles or infield singles. Are our catchers not getting out of the box quick enough or infielders just play too deep. I don't think we have thrown out a runner this year trying to steal. If they miss the tourney, it will be because of games like this. We have stranded 8 runners in 5 innings and they get a run after 2 outs and no one on. They need to get their heads out of their rear ends and start playing.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Cross rolled through 6 innings and danced through the 7th to avoid any damage despite loading the bases. UConn leads 4-0 after 8, Cross still pitching.

Mazz hit a 3 run homerun in the first inning

mets1090

Reaction Score
Ryan Moore comes in with runners at 1st and 2nd in the 8th. Double play and a strikeout end any chance at a rally. 3 outs away from the first conference win of the season.

Reaction Score
UConn Baseball (@UConnBaseball)
3/23/13, 4:30 PM
Recap: Cross pitches Huskies to shutout win over Georgetown...Mazzilli blasts fourth HR of the year.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/032313aaa.html

Cross is clearly the ace right now @ 5-0. Need the W tomorrow.

I was at Gampel today for the basketball games, but I had a radio with me to listen to baseball. Chris Jones reported that Ward has a bug and is under the weather, so he may not pitch tomorrow. If Ward doesn't start tomorrow, look for Tabakman to pitch.

In addition to Cross, Ryan Moore came in to pitch two excellent innings. It seems to me that the only time the bullpen really lets this team down is when funky things start happening in the field. The bullpen has been very good.

Reaction Score
Stanley Paul started at DH today, and had two hits. Good to have him back.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Gave up an unearned run in the top of the 1st.

Verdi reached base to lead off the bottom half and was promptly picked off while trying to steal on first movement against the lefty. Had 1st and 2nd with 2 out when Melley lined out right at the 1B. Bad base running combined with bad luck.

Reaction Score
Game 3. Tabakman pitching, Ward is ill.

Daniello playing shortstop for Verdi today, commits an error on the first play of the game. Georgetown plays small ball bunting him over, advances to third on a fly ball, and scores on a single.

Verdi walked to lead off for UConn, then gets picked off. Goes down as a caught stealing. That seems to happen quite a bit with him and Ferriter. Even with Verdi getting picked off UConn still leaves two on base in bottom of first, so it's 1-0 Georgetown after one inning.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Daniello RBI single to make up for the error.

Reaction Score
Daniello makes up for error with RBI single. 1-1 still threatening.

Reaction Score
G'town pitcher has 5 walks already. Sounds like we should keep being patience, I know we like to swing at first pitch.

Reaction Score
Ferriter grounds into DP. Bases Loaded and can't get anymore in. Ferriter really seems to be struggling here in his Senior year thus far. Missed opportunities again so far.

Reaction Score
Stanley Paul home run in bottom of 4th ties it up 2-2. Yes, it is good to have Paul back indeed.

Reaction Score
This team kills me. How do you try to go down to second and get caught. This pitcher is wild, has thrown a wild pitch, just walked you and then is behind 3-0 why try to go to second unless you are absolutely positive you will make it. What one pitch and you would have been there anyway. Our base running intelligence is just awful at times. It just really kills innings. Wow, just don't get it.

mets1090

Reaction Score
This team kills me. How do you try to go down to second and get caught. This pitcher is wild, has thrown a wild pitch, just walked you and then is behind 3-0 why try to go to second unless you are absolutely positive you will make it. What one pitch and you would have been there anyway. Our base running intelligence is just awful at times. It just really kills innings. Wow, just don't get it.
When you have freshmen playing key positions in the field and in the lineup you are going to get bit by freshmen mistakes a lot.

Despite their own mistakes UConn has taken a 3-2 lead. Jolin coming on in relief with 1 out in the 6th. Good start by Tabakman today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom