Georgetown series moved to Norwich | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Georgetown series moved to Norwich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been trying to defend their base running mistakes as a function of them being aggressive. There is a fine line between aggressive and just plain bad base-running and it gets very frustrating sometimes.

Reaction Score
This team kills me. How do you try to go down to second and get caught. This pitcher is wild, has thrown a wild pitch, just walked you and then is behind 3-0 why try to go to second unless you are absolutely positive you will make it. What one pitch and you would have been there anyway. Our base running intelligence is just awful at times. It just really kills innings. Wow, just don't get it.

No question to me that their base running adventures cost them plenty. They would be up more than 3-2 if they had not had all the runners thrown out on the bases today.

Tabakman comes out after 5.1 innings, a very good showing for him. Will Jolin comes into relieve.

Reaction Score
3-2 UConn in the 6th. One of the reasons for the poor play is Monday thru Thursday we haven't been playing outdoors. A team can just do so much indoors. Then traveling down south the outdoor field can be strange where the team isn't as sharp as it should be.
Hopefully the field will be practiceable this week.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Let's get some insurance runs here in the 8th...

mets1090

Reaction Score
Leadoff double (I think - could be an error) courtesy of a misplay by the Georgetown outfielder. These are the types of situations where you need to get a run home.

mets1090

Reaction Score
MOAR poor base running.

Reaction Score
I don't care how young this team is, stop blaming it on youth. Testani is a sophomore and that is just an absolute stupid play. It's a safety squeeze attempt, you cannot get picked off 3rd. Then what do you know, Daniello hits a fly ball which probably would have been a sac and an insurance run. They better hope the pitching holds them down in the 9th. They continue to let so many opportunities get away because of boneheaded decisions. They have already lost a few games this year because of this type of play and I'm afraid they will look back and realize it might have cost them a tourney bid.

mets1090

Reaction Score
sounds like a great play by Mazz to make a jumping catch that ends the game on what would have been an RBI single.

I can't imagine coach is going to be happy with how the team played this weekend despite taking 2 out of 3.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Marzi needs to get back on track as well. 13-7 is a nice record, and we have some nice wins, but we are far from playing our best ball right now. That can be seen as both a good and bad thing.

Reaction Score
My guess is they go with Colletti against Hartford on Tuesday and then I would say go with Marzi and Ward on Thursday and keep Cross in his normal Saturday roll.

Reaction Score
sounds like a great play by Mazz to make a jumping catch that ends the game on what would have been an RBI single.

I can't imagine coach is going to be happy with how the team played this weekend despite taking 2 out of 3.

11 day road trip takes it's toll.... Take he win!

Reaction Score
Today's game showed off some of the best and worst traits of this team. UConn continues to get excellent pitching, both starting and out of the pen. They get plenty of runners on base (look at the on base percentages) as well. The big downside is the base running, which clearly costs them more runs than it gains. And I've said this before, the fielding, while it has hiccups, is lightyears ahead of last season.

I'm sure Colletti will start against Hartford, with Ward going on Thursday if he is healthy.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Marzi needs to get back on track as well. 13-7 is a nice record, and we have some nice wins, but we are far from playing our best ball right now. That can be seen as both a good and bad thing.
Marzi dominated pretty much the entire year last year. I haven't been shy about how good I think he can be but he certainly hasn't pitched to his potential yet this year. Pitching has been a big strength this year. If Marzi can start pitching like he did last year our staff could be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom