Geno's Comment About Azura and Batouly | The Boneyard

Geno's Comment About Azura and Batouly

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice Geno's comment at the end of the Geno Auriemma show following the game? When asked about the two transfers, he said that he was more excited about them for next year than the four freshmen. Then, with an unmistakable twinkle in his eye, he said, "They are going to be really, really good."

Considering that this is a judgment reached after seeing them in practice every day for three months or so, that seems like a rather strong expression of optimism about them. Not that that should be a surprise, given their previous college-level record. He certainly never said anything like that about Natalie Butler, as far as I can recall.

The show also showed brief snippets of an interview with the two players, and Azura seemed to imply that practice at UConn was a whole different kind of experience than practice at Duke had been. (Also no surprise, really.). Specifically, she said that at UConn, she needs to be mentally prepared for every single day of practice, which was not the case at Duke, and that mental preparation is more difficult than physical preparation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The freshmen, especially Megan, should be very good, but Azura has 2 years of major college ball and Batouly has 1 year, and both will have a full year of UConn practices under their belt. They will be 2 steps ahead of the freshmen. But give the frosh their due--their time will come, just as Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa have stepped up this season.

People think that Azura is a strong NPOY candidate. We could have at least 3 of those next year. :)

Reaction Score
The freshmen, especially Megan, should be very good, but Azura has 2 years of major college ball and Batouly has 1 year, and both will have a full year of UConn practices under their belt. They will be 2 steps ahead of the freshmen. But give the frosh their due--their time will come, just as Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa have stepped up this season.

People think that Azura is a strong NPOY candidate. We could have at least 3 of those next year. :)

It's almost a foregone conclusion that, barring injury, the top three picks in the WNBA draft will again be UConn players. Between now and then, there will be many, many threads trying to guess the order. Ironically, none of them may ever be Player of the Year because they may cancel each other out in the voting. If they keep winning titles, none of the three will care at all.

Reaction Score

Not so sure it isn't four

Reaction Score
He said something similar about Heather Buck.

She was I think. I mean really really good for the team. Her basketball career didn't turn out as anticipated, but she accepted her fate, stayed dedicated to the team and ended her career with cheers from her mates and the fans. Pulido-ish.
We can't all be stars in everything we do, but I'll bet Heather is a great nurse!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He said something similar about Heather Buck.
52538281.jpg

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

Note: Saniya was also once a lowly frosh, and has fought her way through injuries, self-doubt and an IMHO fully justified need to look over her shoulder after an on-court mistake to become a vital part of our new juggernaut.

Reaction Score

With what I saw of Azura and Walker in TV and video's, add them to the mix with Gabby, KLS, Collier, Nurse, Dangerfield, Batouly, Butler and the others this could be the best team they've ever put on the floor 1-8 or even 9 depending on the freshman. I mean 3-4 real chances at NPOY but they may be so good none may get it due to the fact they will be such a great team and stats will be shared. I mean incredible how good they can be next year adding Stevens alone to this team.

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice Geno's comment at the end of the Geno Auriemma show following the game? When asked about the two transfers, he said that he was more excited about them for next year than the four freshmen. Then, with an unmistakable twinkle in his eye, he said, "They are going to be really, really good."

Considering that this is a judgment reached after seeing them in practice every day for three months or so, that seems like a rather strong expression of optimism about them. Not that that should be a surprise, given their previous college-level record. He certainly never said anything like that about Natalie Butler, as far as I can recall.

The show also showed brief snippets of an interview with the two players, and Azura seemed to imply that practice at UConn was a whole different kind of experience than practice at Duke had been. (Also no surprise, really.). Specifically, she said that at UConn, she needs to be mentally prepared for every single day of practice, which was not the case at Duke, and that mental preparation is more difficult than physical preparation.
You left out Geno's qualifier about why he was more excited about them than the freshmen..... it is because they already have major college experience and will have one year of practice with UConn.

Reaction Score
Geno has improved his analytical skills since then. ;)
Buck had the redshirt year and then the stress fracture that sabotaged her first year back. I think the same thing happened to Ekmark .... she dropped out of basketball her senior year in high school and then had her own stress reaction problems .... you can't just miss almost two years of basketball and expect to return at a high level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I thought his remarks about the transfers were interesting in that he implied or said directly that they are not being critiqued in practice the same way they will be next year.

I guess I thought that everyone on the floor would come in for the same kind of butt-kicking, no matter their eligibility status.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score

GOOD POINT !!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Next season will be tremendous. Unbelievable is an understatement. Who will start????? Be question. If this team goes undefeated or not and win the NC which they will who starts? Who sits? Hey there will be alot of playtime for everybody. Saniya and TLaw will have graduated. Kia and Gabby will be a seniors. Next year will be off the charts good and the growth of this UConn program will continue to reach new levels.

Reaction Score
With what I saw of Azura and Walker in TV and video's, add them to the mix with Gabby, KLS, Collier, Nurse, Dangerfield, Batouly, Butler and the others this could be the best team they've ever put on the floor 1-8 or even 9 depending on the freshman. I mean 3-4 real chances at NPOY but they may be so good none may get it due to the fact they will be such a great team and stats will be shared. I mean incredible how good they can be next year adding Stevens alone to this team.
Could be one of Geno's toughest coaching challenges next year. Geno builds teams with little regarding for "overall" talent.

Reaction Score
Are you thinking next year or longer term? I'd count Megan and Crystal in the longer term group.

For next year, I'm thinking Azura, Napheesa, and Lou. But maybe Lawrence Taylor, I mean Gabby, beings on the list.
I was responding to next year and IMO you have the right four. Some would argue that Gabby is the best of the bunch...certainly an argument can be made that she is the most important Huskie this year. However, her unselfishness keeps her scoring stats down. IMO, she gets a kick out of making a really nice pass vs scoring a bucket. She must be licking her chops at the thought of having Azura as a target.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom