Geno with a great answer | The Boneyard

Geno with a great answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think women's basketball is just not compelling AT ALL. It is shoved down our throats as if we are supposed to appreciate it as much as we do the men. No one watches WNBA games and 99% of games not involving Geno. It isn't because no one is great. Uconn is. To those outside of Connecticut, It is just not interesting. The disparity in talent makes it that way. If there are 12 elite payers and 4 go to one school each year, that is a recipe for a lousy product. It isn't Genos fault. Not his job to share. His program is awesome BUT The product needs more than one program to matter. I say keep crushing it but don't act like we are all supposed to be attached to a lousy product. it isn't sexist to find the women's basketball product completely non-compelling.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I've misunderstood your comment

He's actually didn't say what you're suggesting. In fact he's said the opposite - don't watch if you don't like it (see the link to the comment responding to DS).

What he said is why aren't these type of comments (I.e. is your dominance bad for the game) made about other people/teams that show similar dominance.

He has a point. I don't think people said the original dream team was bad for the game when they were running people out of the gym. Or when Tyson was at his peak nobody said that guy shouldn't be knocking the piss out of guys because it's bad for boxing. When Dan Gable was dominating college wrestling nobody said is was bad for the sport.

Greatness is usually celebrated, not looked at as bad in any way. Especially on the collegiate level.

Personally, I only have so many hours to piss away watching sports so I don't watch women's basketball.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't follow swimming but I appreciate Michael Phelps as an extraordinary, once in a lifetime talent.
Same with UConn and USA Women.
Sorry you are always having things shoved down your throat Tyrone. I have free choice in whether I follow it They are real and they are fabulous!

Reaction Score
Perhaps I've misunderstood your comment

He's actually didn't say what you're suggesting. In fact he's said the opposite - don't watch if you don't like it (see the link to the comment responding to DS).

What he said is why aren't these type of comments (I.e. is your dominance bad for the game) made about other people/teams that show similar dominance.
They have been saying that about super-teams in the NBA. KD just joined the Warriors and they are already the far-and-away favorites to win the Finals next year. Many see a problem with such amalgamations of talent in that you, analogously, are walking in to the movie theatre knowing the ending to the movie.

Nobody is bemoaning Venus Williams's dominance.

He has a point. I don't think people said the original dream team was bad for the game when they were running people out of the gym. Or when Tyson was at his peak nobody said that guy shouldn't be knocking the piss out of guys because it's bad for boxing. When Dan Gable was dominating college wrestling nobody said is was bad for the sport.
Boxing is completely different, as is wrestling.

Greatness is usually celebrated, not looked at as bad in any way. Especially on the collegiate level.

Personally, I only have so many hours to piss away watching sports so I don't watch women's basketball.
UConn's greatness has surely become boring to the vast majority of the already minuscule fan base that supports the sport.

Reaction Score
They have been saying that about super-teams in the NBA. KD just joined the Warriors and they are already the far-and-away favorites to win the Finals next year. Many see a problem with such amalgamations of talent in that you, analogously, are walking in to the movie theatre knowing the ending to the movie.

Nobody is bemoaning Venus Williams's dominance.

Boxing is completely different, as is wrestling.

UConn's greatness has surely become boring to the vast majority of the already minuscule fan base that supports the sport.

I can pull example from any sport you like. Dominance is dominance if you want to parse it to suit your narrative that's fine. People bitch about the Warriors because a top tier talent chose to leave his very very good team to join a record holding team. This seems like a "can't beat them join them" attitude which is the anthesis of being competitive. It's mailing it it.

You are missing the point of Geno's quote. It's like people can't read or want to infer their own thoughts into his comment.

What he's saying is "why do people question his teams and not other dominate teams/athletes" - If your answer because it's different I'd like to see you argue that logic. If you can't see how wacky the double standard is I can't help you.

Either that or you didn't take the time to read the original linked article.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that there is sometimes a double standard, but at the same time Geno is one of those guys looking to find a slight when it's not always there. Not everything said about women's basketball has to be a referendum on the way the sport is covered...sometimes there are questions that deserve a legitimate response. Nobody complains about Tiger or Phelps or Serena or Bolt because they aren't manifestations of gulfs in talent between nations...they are merely individuals who happen to be generational athletes.

It isn't his fault nor UConn's fault. But it was bad for college basketball when UCLA was winning the championship every year in the men's game, it was bad - and still is, to some degree - for the sport of basketball on a world level when the U.S. was 70 points better than anybody else (though I admit I enjoyed it) and it is bad for college football when it is dominated by particular regions of the country. Athletes or even teams that dominate within confined periods of time can be great for a sport...dominance that endures in a way that seems institutionalized is probably not as good. It is one mans opinion but I don't think an unreasonable one.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
UConn's greatness has surely become boring to the vast majority of the already minuscule fan base that supports the sport.[/QUOTE said:
That must be why they are always at our near the top in attendance in their sport

Reaction Score
I don't follow swimming but I appreciate Michael Phelps as an extraordinary, once in a lifetime talent.
Same with UConn and USA Women.
Sorry you are always having things shoved down your throat Tyrone. I have free choice in whether I follow it They are real and they are fabulous!

But he's right though. I mean WNBA is not a good product and UConn beating everyone's brains is, well that's fine for our fanbase but what does it look like to others? It's really "not shoved down" anyone's throat though so it's up to you. But talking about the game it is not that compelling overall outside of UConn's dominance.

Reaction Score
No one asked the Dream Team this question. No one asks Phelps this question. No one asked Tiger this question. No one asked John Wooden this question. Geno's response came after Diana Taurasi's fourth time being asked this question. (And Taurasi has done a very unTaurasi like thing and held her tongue for the most part. Because I know what she wants to say to the next person who asks her that question..) He's not looking for a slight, he has a legitimate gripe.

Reaction Score
Here we go image.gif

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
But he's right though. I mean WNBA is not a good product and UConn beating everyone's brains is, well that's fine for our fanbase but what does it look like to others? It's really "not shoved down" anyone's throat though so it's up to you. But talking about the game it is not that compelling overall outside of UConn's dominance.

There is no doubt that there is sometimes a double standard, but at the same time Geno is one of those guys looking to find a slight when it's not always there. Not everything said about women's basketball has to be a referendum on the way the sport is covered...sometimes there are questions that deserve a legitimate response. Nobody complains about Tiger or Phelps or Serena or Bolt because they aren't manifestations of gulfs in talent between nations...they are merely individuals who happen to be generational athletes.

It isn't his fault nor UConn's fault. But it was bad for college basketball when UCLA was winning the championship every year in the men's game, it was bad - and still is, to some degree - for the sport of basketball on a world level when the U.S. was 70 points better than anybody else (though I admit I enjoyed it) and it is bad for college football when it is dominated by particular regions of the country. Athletes or even teams that dominate within confined periods of time can be great for a sport...dominance that endures in a way that seems institutionalized is probably not as good. It is one mans opinion but I don't think an unreasonable one.

so if someone/program/team is really good at something, they work their ass off, and they continue to win, should they stop and bring themselves down to their competition? or should the others strive to get to the level those teams or person is at? raise their game? competition raises everyone, some may not reach the level that's needed and some will or even surpass the ones at top... it's not uconns fault or the womens national teams fault that their competition isn't at their level... how is geno looking to find a slight when every news conference he is asked the question?

Reaction Score
@UConnSwag11 no one is saying that.

I never said they should stop doing what they're doing that's ridiculous. Can't blame our fans for loving every minute of every game but I can't watch 90% of their games for longer than 5 minutes, it's awful only because the other team isn't capable of being on the same court. The WNBA can be ugly because now you have the best players playing against each other most every night and the lack of athleticism shows when they are able to guard each other and take things away.

But hey that's just me, I can watch a UTEP vs LBSU mens game any night, I can't watch a womens game if UConn is not involved. I will go watch HS Boys basketball first.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

WNBA does struggle financially. But that has little to do with the dominance of team USA and UConn. Both of which draw well and,I think, both bring more attention to the sport.
Mike Tyson did not hurt boxing. He kept it alive. The premise is stupid. Doesn't matter if you like the sport.

Reaction Score
I think women's basketball is just not compelling AT ALL. It is shoved down our throats as if we are supposed to appreciate it as much as we do the men. No one watches WNBA games and 99% of games not involving Geno. It isn't because no one is great. Uconn is. To those outside of Connecticut, It is just not interesting. The disparity in talent makes it that way. If there are 12 elite payers and 4 go to one school each year, that is a recipe for a lousy product. It isn't Genos fault. Not his job to share. His program is awesome BUT The product needs more than one program to matter. I say keep crushing it but don't act like we are all supposed to be attached to a lousy product. it isn't sexist to find the women's basketball product completely non-compelling.
The talent is spread around more than you think in the women's game. You can check the recruiting services of years past. Genoa gets a Kentucky type class every 4 years or so, but where are they going the other 3 years? Also there have been a couple of programs who on a consistent basis have out recruited Geno if you go by the rankings. Genoa just knows his system and the type of player that fits, rankings don't matter as much to him. To me he builds them like some of Calhoun best teams. Think 99...one stud in Rip another in KEA and really good solid role players that are not great at one thing, but good at doing everything. To me it's more him and his system than who he recruits.......even though of course that matters. A coach who Geno's girls killed in the NCAA said something like, "there are a lot of all Americans on a lot of teams across the country, but the difference is that Geno doesn't let his girls settle. He gets the most out of his girls. And he's right, year after year I'm thinking what ever happened to this or that teams #1 ranked class. I'm telling you its not that there a huge talent gap like nonwatchers think. I was an only men's basketball watcher and slowly got into the girls and learned this by getting into it as much as the men...

Reaction Score
It has been a lot more fun watching the USA women in the olympics than the men in basketball. It has been a lot more fun watching the UConn women's basketball team over the last 11 years or more, than the UConn football team for the past 5 years. No one is shoving anything down your throat, so get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom