Geno: This has to be April Fools | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno: This has to be April Fools

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Funny how many suddenly agree with Geno here yet they won't watch a women's game. I mean if he's right then sit your a** down and watch the women game and tell me how great it is. I mean UConn and Geno are great, I expect they should beat MD by 20-30 points. Wow, that's fun LOL.....and they already beat the others too by a lot. What a great game!!

Shot clock to 30 - yep agree. Make a few calls on people that are getting away with physicality that's not acceptable? Yeah I agree.but to think you'd rather watch a game where one team has 3 players who are good, 2 who are actually athletic and the other team has 2 good players and can't guard a girls on the low post who just pivots and throws up scoops all day? Funny, while I root for them it's fairly painful most of the time. It really is and to compare it or hear about from a women's coach is even more painful since he is fielding 5-8 of the best players in the nation. Wow that's fair!!

Gene again too arrogant for his own good

I think if Geno really had his druthers, he would want more programs capable of giving him games like the first half of Dayton on Sunday. There were times in that game he was actually smiling watching Dayton execute their offense.

The funny thing about CR and the AAC is that while we're complaining about the lack of RPI in our conference on the men's side - while only going 10-8 in the conference - Geno has to schedule tough OOC opponents just to get a competitive game. You know he misses not having ND around.

Reaction Score
Hit the reply bottoms by mistake, the women's game has less fouls are called vs the men's game
I was replying to your notion that Geno's comments are hurting our chances of getting into a P5, which is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
John Wooden is dead. He coached when there were only 4 good mens programs so it's just like the women game, no parity! His thoughts, while a few are close, are mostly arrogant and pitiful. To me he threw KO under the bus as well and he doesn't care nor does he know he did.

And you know little about the game! But thanks for your input shakey.

Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:
I had this exact conversation with my sister earlier today.

Why even talk to her? She is a girl. Hardly even a human being. :)

Reaction Score
people keep talking about shot clock, thats not gonna curtail JUNK defenses. all basketball should be played under the same rules. this ish where you can sit in the paint for 10 seconds is unwatchable

Reaction Score
Funny how many suddenly agree with Geno here yet they won't watch a women's game. I mean if he's right then sit your a** down and watch the women game and tell me how great it is. I mean UConn and Geno are great, I expect they should beat MD by 20-30 points. Wow, that's fun LOL.....and they already beat the others too by a lot. What a great game!!

Shot clock to 30 - yep agree. Make a few calls on people that are getting away with physicality that's not acceptable? Yeah I agree.but to think you'd rather watch a game where one team has 3 players who are good, 2 who are actually athletic and the other team has 2 good players and can't guard a girls on the low post who just pivots and throws up scoops all day? Funny, while I root for them it's fairly painful most of the time. It really is and to compare it or hear about from a women's coach is even more painful since he is fielding 5-8 of the best players in the nation. Wow that's fair!!

Gene again too arrogant for his own good
He was asked a question... and that was his answer. The guy doesn't know how to be dishonest. I think he's a hoot, but I can see how and why a lot of people don't care for him. You must be a LadyVol fan. ;^)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My biggest gripe is the last 3 minutes of the game take forever. It could suck all the fun out of a good game.

Reaction Score
After the John Wooden comment, there is no reason to go any further,

Why he's not? And with him so is the game he loved because it hasn't been the same since the 60's and never will be in the men's because there are lots of good teams now, not just 4 or 5 like back then. Hmmmm, sounds familiar huh?;)

Reaction Score
He clarified his comments later on SVP

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12600881

"Don't get me wrong, the womens game is even less watchable" -for all you guys who think answering a question about mens basketball requires acknowledging the deficiencies of the womens game

Yeah after he stuck his foot in his mouth. Same with Calipari after the game the other night when it took him until later to actually give ND any credit for the way they played instead talking about Kentucky. There's a guy Geno would be happy to be compared to - The Squid!

Reaction Score
He was asked a question... and that was his answer. The guy doesn't know how to be dishonest. I think he's a hoot, but I can see how and why a lot of people don't care for him. You must be a LadyVol fan. ;^)

He's a hoot until he thinks he's too much as he did in this interview. The "hoot" guy is in the women's game, the arrogant guy comes out at times like this. Heck if there's only 10-15 teams who know how to play basketball and UConn didn't make the tourney they aren't one of them. Guess KO gets the Fung Wah from Geno huh? He talks too much and loves to hear himself. don't give me the deflecting business for his team, they don't need it.

As someone else said let's see him take the men's Fordham job and get a national championship out of it. Then he can spew all the BSD he wants. Until then he coaches a bunch of fairly athletic women against teams who have payers who can't guard 60 year old men. Tough job 90% of the time huh?:rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah after he stuck his foot in his mouth. Same with Calipari after the game the other night when it took him until later to actually give ND any credit for the way they played instead talking about Kentucky. There's a guy Geno would be happy to be compared to - The Squid!
Geno was effusive in his praise for Dayton, even at half time. Try again, hater.

Reaction Score
Geno was effusive in his praise for Dayton, even at half time. Try again, hater.

Read what I said FF. It was the point that the "women's game is even less watchable" well after the interview, not about Dayton where id you come up with that Waq job? I saw what he said abut dayton and he praised them as he should have. Where do you see my point on Dayton?

Thought you had more brains than them, guess again huh?:eek:

Reaction Score
Read what I said FF. It was the point that the "women's game is even less watchable" well after the interview, not about Dayton where id you come up with that Waq job? I saw what he said abut dayton and he praised them as he should have. Where do you see my point on Dayton?

I guess I don't understand why if someone is asked what do you think about problems with the men's game, they need to include anything about the women's game. (Which in the original quote he also acknowledged as being behind the times). He said he is a fan and was asked directly about the men, he has as much right to his opinion as you.

Reaction Score

He never made it a men's game versus a women's game debate - you're the only one who's doing that.

I just don't know how you can read the entire quote from Geno and disagree with his point. The men's game has gotten increasingly ugly over the years and needs a bunch of rule changes (shorter shot clock, defensive 3 seconds, ideally 2-year minimum for players, etc.).

Geno's argument isn't new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32