Geno: This has to be April Fools | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno: This has to be April Fools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It's not like Geno is the first person to call out the state of college basketball. That's been a topic of discussion all season long involving media and coaches. And here was the question he was responding to, so it wasn't just out of the blue:

You've read a lot about the state of the men's college game this year, that the game is not as fluid, efficient, exciting, well played as it has been in years past. There's many reasons people would surmise that from more freshman, sophomores playing than juniors and seniors. I know you are obviously an authority on the women's game and your team. But you're a basketball coach and a basketball fan, so you see a lot of men's college basketball. What has been your thought about where you see the state of the men's game is right now?

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=108045

And this question is an example of bad journalism (to me). If someone asks a question...ASK IT!!! Don't precede it with commentary which basically is the answer to the question.

Reaction Score
I'm just trying to understand how the womens game is ahead of the mens game. merely the shotclock? Women can't play defense because 75% of them can't slap backboard. Was offense ever an issue in ncaaw?

the biggest issue is the defensive three seconds and there was no mention of it

Reaction Score
Not sure what he gets out of saying this. At best it comes off looking like sour grapes because no one watches the women's tournament.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Not sure what he gets out of saying this. At best it comes off looking like sour grapes because no one watches the women's tournament.

He does this every year at the FF. He absorbs all the attention/critique, his players have no pressure and they roll.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He is not wrong.

But you could not pay me to watch the women play, it is not basketball.
Mmm, disagree. It's not men's basketball, that's for sure, but watch a little of one of UConn's next couple games. You may well be surprised at their execution.

Reaction Score
well said, teams like Virginia, and Wisconsin (before the last two years) who average about 1 point a minute are killing the game. I would have enjoyed this season a lot more, even if we hadn't won more games, if we were averaging 75 points per game.

The last time we had a team like that was the '99 championship team. The way they pushed the ball upcourt and off made free throws was awesome. They were a beautiful team to watch at both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
Its an interesting comment & headline because to 95% of men's bball fans women's basketball is a joke in a very similar way. Pick your poison, too much shot clock, defense & TV BS versus skill level / athleticism.

Now that he mentions it though, this (low scoring) absolutely has factored into UConn men's attendance

Reaction Score

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. It's being reported, because a reporter asked him and thought it made a good story. He doesn't need to get anything out of this. Its not like he's running around telling everyone who will listen that men's basketball sucks

Reaction Score
I think he is right on. I liked the 30 second clock in the NIT. I certainly think it helps the women's game.

And as for those ignorati who do not appreciate GOOD women's college basketball, I suggest you go back to John Wooden's comment that if you want to see how the game was intended to be played, watch a good women's team. And for the time being, we have the best.

John Wooden is dead. He coached when there were only 4 good mens programs so it's just like the women game, no parity! His thoughts, while a few are close, are mostly arrogant and pitiful. To me he threw KO under the bus as well and he doesn't care nor does he know he did.

And you know little about the game! But thanks for your input shakey.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Eh, implicit in this statement is an indictment of the coaching in the men's game. I read this and I think, OK hotshot, if you think you can do better, let's see it.

As a coach, you can't say "all but 10 men's college teams play terrible offense" and then walk away. If you're going to say that, then take the Fordham job or something and show us what you can do.

And I like Geno. I like that he stirs the pot. I just think it's pretty silly to criticize the men's game from the other side of the stadium.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Its not like he's running around telling everyone who will listen that men's basketball sucks

Did he not think it would end up on the front of ESPN.com? Because it is.

Reaction Score
The mens game does suck! The reason the tourney is so big is gambling. I find it hard to watch in recent years. Sure i enjoy the success we`ve had in recent years and struggled watching this year but i continue to watch because Uconn is my team. What i find is that i dont watch as much cbb as i used too. I used to watch the tournament religiously whether uconn was in it or not but in the last 5 years ive really declined in interest. My opinion it has a lot to do with the one and done rule and of course the on court rules themselves. Imho one and done should be done away with and the rule should be you can declare after high school but if you go to college you have to do 2 years. Shot clock should be 25 seconds and on held balls if a team retains possession the clock should only reset to 15 seconds. Those are just a couple things they should start with.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Love the neanderthal comments on ESPN. Pretty much 90% ignored the actual comment and just went with the knee-jerk, "Women's college hoops sucks!"

Gotta love the critical thinking being displayed over there. Including ESPN's own handling of the story.

This country is really getting stupider by the day.

Reaction Score
Did he not think it would end up on the front of ESPN.com? Because it is.
don't know don't care. But its much better than another story about how the angelic john calipari at kentucky with his geez wiz aww shucks attitude and a little gumption has a team of misfits on the verge of a perfect season. tons of people from outside criticize mens college basketball, and lots of people from inside are saying the same things.

Reaction Score
This is 100% a case of Geno deflecting media attention away from his team and their games and to him in an effort to keep the unwanted swarms away.

Reaction Score
Funny how many suddenly agree with Geno here yet they won't watch a women's game. I mean if he's right then sit your a** down and watch the women game and tell me how great it is. I mean UConn and Geno are great, I expect they should beat MD by 20-30 points. Wow, that's fun LOL.....and they already beat the others too by a lot. What a great game!!

Shot clock to 30 - yep agree. Make a few calls on people that are getting away with physicality that's not acceptable? Yeah I agree......but to think you'd rather watch a game where one team has 3 players who are good, 2 who are actually athletic and the other team has 2 good players and can't guard a girls on the low post who just pivots and throws up scoops all day? Funny, while I root for them it's fairly painful most of the time. It really is and to compare it or hear about from a women's coach is even more painful since he is fielding 5-8 of the best players in the nation. Wow that's fair!!

Gene again too arrogant for his own good

Reaction Score
Funny how many suddenly agree with Geno here yet they won't watch a women's game. I mean if he's right then sit your a** down and watch the women game and tell me how great it is. I mean UConn and Geno are great, I expect they should beat MD by 20-30 points. Wow, that's fun LOL.....and they already beat the others too by a lot. What a great game!!

That's what I couldn't understand when he said this. What is enjoyable about watching a team win by an average of 45 points? To me that is unwatchable.

Reaction Score
I mean this with 100% sincerity: I absolutely love watching blowout wins. They're so satisfying. I could watch my team ruin people all day.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, Calhoun basically said the same thing about games being in the 50's and 60's rather than 70's. He talked about free flowing offense. Teams don't have a running / true push the ball mentality anymore from the outlet pass then the next guy looking up court and filling the lanes in a spaced way. The other bottom-line is guys work more at dunking than shooting. Shooting is a solitary occupation that require countless hours in the gym by oneself or another guy. Too often today guys won't make that commitment. And making that extra constructive pass after the defense commits is a lost art.

Reaction Score
This is 100% a case of Geno deflecting media attention away from his team and their games and to him in an effort to keep the unwanted swarms away.

I had this exact conversation with my sister earlier today.

Reaction Score
Nah, this is just Geno doing his thing to deflect attention off his team and onto himself. With everybody flipping out because they were down 1 at halftime the other day, it makes sense for him to deflect as much pressure off them as he can. They seem to be handling it pretty well, regardless.
I'm surprise he didn't get a tech, like he always does when uconn is on tv 2 make it about Geno

Reaction Score
John Wooden is dead. He coached when there were only 4 good mens programs so it's just like the women game, no parity! His thoughts, while a few are close, are mostly arrogant and pitiful. To me he threw KO under the bus as well and he doesn't care nor does he know he did.

And you know little about the game! But thanks for your input shakey.
I agree, uconn is trying to get into a power 5 conference, with Geno speaking out he is hold uconn back, the women's game less fouls are called with more mugging than the men's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom