Geno on the Lowe Post Podcast | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno on the Lowe Post Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem, for better or worse, is that teams who don't like, or recruit against, Geno and UCONN will use this as fodder for their anti-UCONN agenda. Geno needs to be smarter than that if he doesn't want issues like this discussed. Just like years back when he left the profanity laced message on Kia Vaughn's home answering machine when she was being recruited - he needs to remember that he's not working or living in a vacuum. Stuff like that gets lots of "air time" for anyone who recruits against him, or fans who don't like him.

People will take what he says and if there's something controversial, or what not, they will jump on it and it will become news worthy. I do think he's gotten much better about that. I listened to about 15 minutes of the interview and at one point early on, Geno was about to swear but he stopped himself and used a different word. The interviewer said something like "Oh, go ahead and swear. It's totally allowed on my show".

Honestly colorful language doesn't bother me a bit. I have a sailor mouth at times. But I'm not the head coach of the most successful basketball program of all time.
I think a big part of Geno's charm is he doesn't seem to care what anyone thinks, gives not-necessarily-PC answers, and offers a lot of information and opinions. About 180 degrees opposite of Bill Bellichik. Fortunately he's in a position he can get away with it (If you happen to be a recruit and you AREN'T charmed, just step aside and make room for then next 5- star HS AA in line). But he was this way (even more so) BEFORE he was so successful - seems to work.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Lol and people pretend geno would be a good men's coach. Imagine if he lost 10 times a year, his head would explode from all the "stupid" fans comments. Stay classy geno, we love you.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Wow, didn't know Zach Lowe was such a fan. Lowe is the best NBA and basketball writer around.
I didnt care for his leading questions... acting like "he doesnt know" and leaves the question for Geno. He also told Geno "its ok to curse (or use foul language)"... he wanted something juicy.

guess you cant fault him, gets people to listen

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
"only losers complain" "dont like it, dont watch"... geesh best 2 comments I heard in this podcast, the content is appropriate

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
would you like for you child to be called a "head case"... well don't call any of my players that

Reaction Score
I just finished it. Had not seen it before. That pass by DT to Crockett at the 3:42 mark! One hand off the dribble, thirty feet. Sweetness.

I just watched it also. Yes, awesome pass.
Diana or not though, that team couldn't hold a candle to our present team or last year's team either, or the year before. Our team now would beat that Texas team by 20 at least.
IMO of course.

Reaction Score
Predictably, there's a lot of chirping on ESPN over Geno's comments. I do get tired of teeing up the same discussions every year: arrogance, no competition, dominates recruiting, women can't play bb. Never changes. Maybe it's time to block out all of the chatter and focus on Al Davis' classic admonishment: "Just win, baby." Some fights can only be won by winning.

Reaction Score
I generally love Geno's honesty, but you never ever call your fans "g-d stupid". Very very poor choice of words. I personally have no issue with the loss, nor the blowouts, or how he runs and motivates the team. But to call "some UCONN fans so g-d stupid" is just g-d awful.

The truth can hurt, but Geno doesn't care. Refreshing as always. Everybody loves him when he makes fun of Miss Muffet, Mrs. Freeze and Joey P. When they're the target (a nebulous one at that)...not so much. Fans are allowed to have their opinions, i.e. goofs like us. Geno has the right as well. He's a tax payer. If people are really upset, start a grass roots movement to remove Geno. Power to the People!! BTW, let the football coach (whoever that is) pander to the fans and alumni! :cool:

Reaction Score
I went and watched that UConn Texas final four game they were talking about. Some vintage DT moments.

Where did you find that game? Couldn't find it on YouTube.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I got a particular kick out of Geno's story about DT's reaction and advice to Geno regarding coaching WNBAers on the National Team. He was coaching a free flowing "options" game and she told him it wouldn't work with the WNBAers. She told him he had to give them set plays, tell them exactly where they should go and what to do...then give the play a name; that's all they knew in the WNBA. I'll be chuckling now and then for a few days off of that. Geno added maybe that is why a WNBA game can be hard to watch (ever candid - eh).
I also liked the story about Geno asking Jamelle Elliott which play to run for the 2001-2001 team. When she picks one, "41", Geno agrees and asks who should we run it for. Elliott's reply? "Who do you think, dumb ass?" That's priceless stuff.

I think the impact of the Geno coaching tree is under appreciated. He's left his mark on a lot of people.
50a10a9067997.image.jpg

Reaction Score
PhillyCoach and others---Wow--Geno isn't the only one with thin skin.

First---I respect and admire Genos Coaching abilities--his filthy mouth not so much
2nd-- Am I aware of the Teams/Geno's gifts and community services--no, neither are you. Are you aware of the Coventry dinner he and the team did for the town when devestated? Or the visits to Bethesda and Walt Reed (when separated) to visit the wounded there?
His golf tourneys are ego trips. Donating 50000 when you make over 3,000,000 per annum is a spit in a bucket.
End of game gifts for the students --nice to do--financially for him nothing much--but great to get the Students to attend.
Geno/Team have done much outside of the video cameras true

Being a winner of 10 championships is a big deal--Being in upteen final fours is an accomplishment--Win BE Titles outright and Tourneys big deal for most teams.

Geno is a MAN with failings, has he found a cure for cancer, diabetes? Discovered water on Mars--fixed the immigration problem , helped the starving in Syria, or Europe?

People with a lot less money and a lot less time have done most of the good works Geno has done--Visiting the wounded, providing clothing for the Vets in Vet hospital,
donated scholarships, cared fore the elderly, visited and cheered up children in children hospitals---I know one with a lot less money who has done all that--ME!!

I know his skin is thin because I have communicated with him for more than the last 10 years and listened to his rants on critics and fans.

When he sticks to Family and Basketball I really like Geno---as I would say to a child who did a bad thing--I love you but I don't like what you have done or the dirty words you used to express yourself. You were educated with better words and with better morality, why do you choose to drop your mentality into the gutter??

Reaction Score
Geno is a MAN with failings, has he found a cure for cancer, diabetes? Discovered water on Mars--fixed the immigration problem , helped the starving in Syria, or Europe?

People with a lot less money and a lot less time have done most of the good works Geno has done--Visiting the wounded, providing clothing for the Vets in Vet hospital,
donated scholarships, cared fore the elderly, visited and cheered up children in children hospitals---I know one with a lot less money who has done all that--ME!!

I know his skin is thin because I have communicated with him for more than the last 10 years and listened to his rants on critics and fans.

When he sticks to Family and Basketball I really like Geno---as I would say to a child who did a bad thing--I love you but I don't like what you have done or the dirty words you used to express yourself. You were educated with better words and with better morality, why do you choose to drop your mentality into the gutter??
Whoa - hold on. I think he HAS discovered water on Mars...

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
PhillyCoach and others---Wow--Geno isn't the only one with thin skin.

First---I respect and admire Genos Coaching abilities--his filthy mouth not so much
2nd-- Am I aware of the Teams/Geno's gifts and community services--no, neither are you. Are you aware of the Coventry dinner he and the team did for the town when devestated? Or the visits to Bethesda and Walt Reed (when separated) to visit the wounded there?
His golf tourneys are ego trips. Donating 50000 when you make over 3,000,000 per annum is a spit in a bucket.
End of game gifts for the students --nice to do--financially for him nothing much--but great to get the Students to attend.
Geno/Team have done much outside of the video cameras true

Being a winner of 10 championships is a big deal--Being in upteen final fours is an accomplishment--Win BE Titles outright and Tourneys big deal for most teams.

I really regret that I have to say this again but............. What on earth are you talking about? I am not even sure why are you bringing up charitable things he has done then immediately trying to down play them. Here is an idea, formulate a thought, communicate it effectively, work on YOUR english, come back and try again. As much as you don't like Geno's choice of words we could understand what he was saying, you however; not so much. Maybe try bullet points or a checklist? Or give up maybe... I don't really know how to help you at this point.

Reaction Score
I really regret that I have to say this again but... What on earth are you talking about? I am not even sure why are you bringing up charitable things he has done then immediately trying to down play them. Here is an idea, formulate a thought, communicate it effectively, work on YOUR english, come back and try again. As much as you don't like Geno's choice of words we could understand what he was saying, you however; not so much. Maybe try bullet points or a checklist? Or give up maybe... I don't really know how to help you at this point.
I think you're the one with a problem.
He has to understand when you are on top you have to deal with all of this, often nonsense, but it comes with the territory.
Geno is a great coach, good for the team, good for WBB, etc. What he says is not so much the issue, nor or the stress involved; it's the way he handles it. Usually good, but at times not very classy at all.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I think you're the one with a problem.
He has to understand when you are on top you have to deal with all of this, often nonsense, but it comes with the territory.
Geno is a great coach, good for the team, good for WBB, etc. What he says is not so much the issue, nor or the stress involved; it's the way he handles it. Usually good, but at times not very classy at all.
What problem do I have?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He has to understand when you are on top you have to deal with all of this, often nonsense

No. Not really. On the contrary, when you are on top you can ignore or ridicule or belittle your critics. That is the way our "modern society" handles things. Geno uses a couple of off-colored words and some people calling themselves fans jump all over it. Let's get some balance here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's funny how different people react to things differently. When I heard him say some of our fans are GD idiots, etc. I thought to myself, "well, what do you know? Geno reads the Boneyard."

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what Geno said on the podcast.

But where is the outspoken tell it like it is witty Geno (or any other major college outspoken figure) when it's time to speak out on really important things in college athletics? Scandals? Cheating? Hypocrisy? Greed? Conferences selling their soul in conference realignment? In particular what has happened to UConn during it. Just look at the latest Louisville and Rutgers news. Two cesspool schools who have been rewarded greatly in the last 2 years. The NCAA hypocrisy on the UNC situation especially in comparison to the absurd retroactive penalties given to the UConn men? Didn't hear much from Geno than. How about speaking out on former athletic director Jeff Hathaway and his many failings which may have led to the football program taking such huge steps backwards? Where was Geno's wise wit and tell it like it is attitude for that? I seem to recall he was very supportive of Mr. Hathaway and even regretted his dismissal. Of course these are hard topics to comment on and be blunt about. Offering colorful quotes calling out spoiled/dumb fans is a pretty easy area though for them. Every school has them. I'd have far more respect for some of these outspoken coaching figures if they also "told it like it is" in regards to some of the biggest issues in college athletics instead of going silent like they all usually do. Kinda cowardly IMO.

I do find it interesting Geno criticized the fan base for being both bored and freaking out if they lose a game. Those 2 statements seem to contradict one another.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I agree with most of what Geno said on the podcast.

But where is the outspoken tell it like it is witty Geno (or any other major college outspoken figure) when it's time to speak out on really important things in college athletics? Scandals? Cheating? Hypocrisy? Greed? Conferences selling their soul in conference realignment? In particular what has happened to UConn during it. Just look at the latest Louisville and Rutgers news. Two cesspool schools who have been rewarded greatly in the last 2 years. The NCAA hypocrisy on the UNC situation especially in comparison to the absurd retroactive penalties given to the UConn men? Didn't hear much from Geno than. How about speaking out on former athletic director Jeff Hathaway and his many failings which may have led to the football program taking such huge steps backwards? Where was Geno's wise wit and tell it like it is attitude for that? I seem to recall he was very supportive of Mr. Hathaway and even regretted his dismissal.

I think offering colorful quotes calling out spoiled/dumb fans is a pretty easy target. Every school has them. I'd have far more respect for some of these outspoken coaching figures if they also "told it like it is" in regards to some of the biggest issues in college athletics. Most of them, including Geno, seem to not be found to "tell it like it is" during those times. Hopefully Geno will be more outspoken on these important topics in the future.

I do find it interesting Geno criticized the fan base for being both bored and freaking out if they lose a game. Those 2 statements seem to contradict one another.
Seems to me that was his main thrust: extreme fan fickleness.

I wonder if a coach can be penalized for criticizing the NCAA a lot, in much the same spirit as criticizing the officiating in a game. I lose track of which rules apply to which parties, pro or college.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that was his main thrust: extreme fan fickleness.

I wonder if a coach can be penalized for criticizing the NCAA a lot, in much the same spirit as criticizing the officiating in a game. I lose track of which rules apply to which parties, pro or college.
He is probably sensitive to making statements which could undermine his own university re conference realignment, etc. If he just sticks to WBB, 1) that's his area of expertise, and 2) the mainstream doesn't pay any attention to WBB anyway so who cares what he says

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A Sweet - he has said some pretty harsh things about the dissolution of the BE and was pretty harsh about some of the schools jumping ship and NDs shopping their other sports around but keeping football to themselves. I am sure he has some pretty strong feelings about NCAA rules enforcement and scandals, but he would probably need to be asked about them by an interviewer that wanted to go 'there'.
He certainly doesn't seem to shy from making pretty sharp assessments - like his analysis of men's college BB. But I also don't think he has a big enough platform being in a 'women's sport' to truly make a difference on those issue.

As for Hathaway - the guy was his boss and presumably treated him well - not likely to be a subject he wants to get into, and why should he - from the standpoint of WCBB at Uconn which is what Geno knows, he got all the support he needed and it is a huge success story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom