Geno on the Lowe Post Podcast | The Boneyard

Geno on the Lowe Post Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm halfway through the interview. Great job. Lots about Diana and a great story from USA BB.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Fascinating interview. The story about D and the zone defense against the Czech Republic is hilarious.

A few good rants, one directed at UConn fans which I'm sure will cause the usual suspects to get their panties all twisted. He refers to some UConn fans as so "g-d stupid it's unbelievable." He's referring to the fans who complain about blow-outs and then complain when they dare lose a game, e.g., Stanford. Maybe Geno read the ridiculous posts after the Stanford loss.

Someone put the Sporting News preseason poll on his desk and he said his players will like that (or something similar).

Talks about the NBA, WNBA, sexism, etc. Just a really good interview by Zach.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I generally love Geno's honesty, but you never ever call your fans "g-d stupid". Very very poor choice of words. I personally have no issue with the loss, nor the blowouts, or how he runs and motivates the team. But to call "some UCONN fans so g-d stupid" is just g-d awful.

Reaction Score
So if he says that "some" UConn fans are stupid, that must mean that he reads this board and maybe some others too. Otherwise he would have no opinion.

Reaction Score
Wow, didn't know Zach Lowe was such a fan. Lowe is the best NBA and basketball writer around.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Very enjoyable listen, and yes, some fans are jerks, so I am OK with that too. He has said it a few times in the past as well.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Very enjoyable listen, and yes, some fans are jerks, so I am OK with that too. He has said it a few times in the past as well.
Yeah, I agree, no problem for me either.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And I absolutely agree about that Texas semi-final. I remember watching that and being total convinced we were not going to win when they were down 9 and down 6 with 3 minutes left and the incredible finish. And from another thread, that might be the best game played by Crockett in her 4 year career - rebound after rebound and such solid defense.

And to win that game and then come back and do it again against the clearly favored TN in the finals!!! What a season. I have always felt that the teams that have beaten us in the semi-finals have never played the NC game well - that they left it all on the court in the semi- final. Uconn that year left it all on the court in that semi, but then picked it up when they returned two nights later!

Reaction Score
So if he says that "some" UConn fans are stupid, that must mean that he reads this board and maybe some others too. Otherwise he would have no opinion.
Didn't see this posted yet:

Zach Lowe of Grantland interviewed Geno Auriemma for his "Lowe Post" podcast: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=13762679

Zach Lowe is a smart basketball dude and a Husky fan, so should be a pretty good listen.

Thanks for sharing this. Although I've heard it all before, I always enjoy listening to Coach tell it like it is. His comment that he especially admires "beautiful" play in sports comes close to my feeling watching UConn play really, really, well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I got a particular kick out of Geno's story about DT's reaction and advice to Geno regarding coaching WNBAers on the National Team. He was coaching a free flowing "options" game and she told him it wouldn't work with the WNBAers. She told him he had to give them set plays, tell them exactly where they should go and what to do...then give the play a name; that's all they knew in the WNBA. I'll be chuckling now and then for a few days off of that. Geno added maybe that is why a WNBA game can be hard to watch (ever candid - eh).

Reaction Score
He doesn't have to read message boards. He his work e-mail address is in the public domain like other UConn employees and he's talked about all the e-mails he gets every time the team suffers a loss or even has a close game. And I'm sure people say stuff in person as well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Greatest team in the history of women's basketball - when Sue, Swin, Tamika and Ashja were seniors (Dee's sophomore year). This was per Geno during the podcast...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Greatest team in the history of women's basketball - when Sue, Swin, Tamika and Ashja were seniors (Dee's sophomore year). This was per Geno during the podcast...
most talented team ... the year before

Reaction Score

But he agreed with the interviewer that the 2001 team was the best assemblage of talent of all time. I think he said that eight members of that year's roster got drafted.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But he agreed with the interviewer that the 2001 team was the best assemblage of talent of all time. I think he said that eight members of that year's roster got drafted.
I believe he said ten were first rounders.

Reaction Score
I went and watched that UConn Texas final four game they were talking about. Some vintage DT moments.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
most talented team ... the year before
Maybe I got it wrong - Dee's freshman year? Sue, Swin etc as juniors? I forget the year Dee was a freshman...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maybe I got it wrong - Dee's freshman year? Sue, Swin etc as juniors? I forget the year Dee was a freshman...
I think Dee was a freshman 2000-2001.
Yes it was the 2000-2001 team - adding DT, Maria Conlon, Ashley Battle, and Jessica Moore, to the 2000 championship team. Had all the 2002 stars, plus Sveta and Shea (who both ended up injured - Sveta - achilles, Shea yet another knee.) It also had Kennitra Johnson (17+ minutes a game - transferred after the year), Kelly Schumacher (record NC game blocks the previous year), and Big Rig Christine Rigby, and Ashley Battle who also was injured in the first part of the year and ended as a red shirt. The team was so loaded in talent that it had the only healthy red shirt player in team history I believe in Jessica Moore.
So ... first round draft picks in WNBA:
#1 Sue (2002)
#1 Diana (2004)
#2 Swin (2002)
#4 Ajsha (2002)
#6 Tamika (2002)
#7 Sveta (2001 - injured)
#14 Kelly Schumacher (2001 - 16 team first round)
#24 Jessica Moore (second round and a healthy red-shirt in 2001)
#25 Ashley Battle (second round after injury red shirt after start of 2001 season)
#40 Shea Ralph (2001 third round - injured)

So seven first round selections, 2* second rounders, and 1** third rounder

* a total of only 5 games played by Battle and 0 by Jessica Moore in 2001
** if she had not been injured in the NCAA tournament for the third time in college Shea probably is a first round pick

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I went and watched that UConn Texas final four game they were talking about. Some vintage DT moments.

My favorite moment from that game - a priceless Geno moment- was when Jamie Carey (aka Crash Carey) tried to fake a monumental flop oh woe is me hold my head moment ending up on the deck practically at Geno's feet and they camera went to Geno, arms folded, with a look of total distain on his face as his eyes looked down at the faker. If looks could kill, she'd be dead.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yes it was the 2000-2001 team - adding DT, Maria Conlon, Ashley Battle, and Jessica Moore, to the 2000 championship team. Had all the 2002 stars, plus Sveta and Shea (who both ended up injured - Sveta - achilles, Shea yet another knee.) It also had Kennitra Johnson (17+ minutes a game - transferred after the year), Kelly Schumacher (record NC game blocks the previous year), and Big Rig Christine Rigby, and Ashley Battle who also was injured in the first part of the year and ended as a red shirt. The team was so loaded in talent that it had the only healthy red shirt player in team history I believe in Jessica Moore.
So ... first round draft picks in WNBA:
#1 Sue (2002)
#1 Diana (2004)
#2 Swin (2002)
#4 Ajsha (2002)
#6 Tamika (2002)
#7 Sveta (2001 - injured)
#14 Kelly Schumacher (2001 - 16 team first round)
#24 Jessica Moore (second round and a healthy red-shirt in 2001)
#25 Ashley Battle (second round after injury red shirt after start of 2001 season)
#40 Shea Ralph (2001 third round - injured)

So seven first round selections, 2* second rounders, and 1** third rounder

* a total of only 5 games played by Battle and 0 by Jessica Moore in 2001
** if she had not been injured in the NCAA tournament for the third time in college Shea probably is a first round pick
And what, six All-Americans? (Sue, D, Swin, Ajsha, Sveta, Shea)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And what, six All-Americans? (Sue, D, Swin, Ajsha, Sveta, Shea)
And even more crazy - 6 Olympians? Dee, Sue, Swin, Ashja, and then did Schuey play for Canada and Sveta play for Russia? Just an incredible amount of talent on that team...

Reaction Score
Let's see if he still says that in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom