Geno on Amari | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno on Amari

Reaction Score
I think they're about equally talented, Amari is WAY ahead in her basketball skills, probably because Piath started basketball at such a late age.
No, no--Piath and Amari are not equally-talented... Certainly as you said, Piath has a lot of upside to her, but even if Piath achieves all her potential, Amari is far superior. Amari is the most skilled big that UConn has ever had--Stewie excepted... As with a lot of HS stars, Amari had A.I. syndrome: in HS she could coast in practice and still be stellar in games. Now that she has apparently gotten that out of her head and made the necessary adjustments, Amari will show her immense talent and value...

Reaction Score
This winter (November) when the 2022-2023 season begins, Amari will have spent 17 months in the program. I expect to the the "fruits of her labor" and the results of the coach's labor during that time in Amari when the season begins. ONO will be gone. She has already said SHE WILL NOT RETURN.

There will be 2 openings in Geno's starting lineup next season. Christyn's spot and ONO's spot. I'm assuming that Paige gets her spot back, and Azzi gets a spot. Aaliyah should earn a spot. As a junior, I can't see her coming off the bench, especially if she finishes the season like she's playing now.

That leaves 2 spots. A wing and a post. This will be the subject of the debate. Who fills these two spots? Unless Geno adds another player from the portal, this will be his 11 player roster for the 2022-2023 season. Note that like last year, Geno will have no seniors on this roster unless Aubrey Griffin chooses to forego a redshirt application.

It's my guess that the starters for that first exhibition game in November are in BOLD. Of course that can change for game 2 and beyond. We should know a day or two before that first game. Many things can happen between now and then that would alter this guess. which is 8 months out. Gabriel will be a junior next year. I expect to see more of her in games next year. How much more remains to be seen.

Edwards (Jr)
Bueckers (Jr)
Fudd (Soph)
Ducharme (Soph)
Juhasz (Gr) (if she returns as she says she will) Her experience and Maturity should may DeBerry's

DeBerry (Soph) - if Juhasz does not return
Muhl (Jr)
Griffin (RS/Jr) (Assuming she is cleared to play)
Gabriel (Jr)
Brady (Fr)
Patterson (Fr)

Thoughts?
I think Paige is going to have to try out to see if she keeps her spot in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
I hope Geno gives Amari and Piath more PT going forward. They seem to be a threat with the hi-low, or Amari could just take the shot.
He will. When they are ready. Little more next season and beast mode their Junior and Senior seasons. It could get nasty!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
He will. When they are ready. Little more next season and beast mode their Junior and Senior seasons. It could get nasty!!
Next season is Piath's Junior season. However, she may want to play the extra year given by the NCAA. I hope she does.

Reaction Score
I look at DeBerry's build and can see why she likes it outside. She looks like a tall version of Bueckers in the 8th grade. She would get beaten up playing against Smith & Egbo.
After the season Geno will likely tell her that he likes her ability to score from outside and that will get her 10 min/game. If she wants more she has to get a lot stronger and learn to play against physical players inside. Simple as that. And he will likely say the same to the freshmen, both of whom seem to have some range outside. Those willing to do the dirty work play.
Deberry could be a prolific shot blocker too.
DeBerry reminds me a bit of Stewey and hope she has similar success. In her Freshman year, Stewey seemed to avoid physical play and liked to play on the outside. By her Soph year, she seemed to realize that if you were a shot blocker you also had to rebound, which meant banging down low. The rest is history.

Reaction Score
Perhaps we should define a 'Stretch 4' and a 'Power Forward'. It's my understanding the difference in terminology is only on the offensive end. Both players would have to defend the opponents 4 in a man D. A 'Stretch 4' is a player who has a consistent outside game and thereby will stretch the opponent's interior defense out to the arc. This creates an opening for other players to slash to mid-range or the rim. A 'Power Forward' does not have the outside game but is physical enough to score inside amidst banging and pushing. A 'Stretch 4' is not a 3 but must also have a good inside offensive skill set. I'm sure my definition's are antiquated in light of 'position-less' basketball.
The whole concept of our read and react 1-4 offense is on keeping the middle open. So when I big can hit an outside shot it helps keeps the middle open. When we play SC they just dont guard our bigs and clog the middle leaving us to hit outside shots. Our current Bigs are not that proficient at that task. All though Dorka is starting to look better on her outside shooting. DeBerry and Ice will be able to help with outside shooting at the elbow and beyand next year. That will leaving the banging for Aaliyah, Aubrey and Pattersen With the experience of Nika , Paige, Azzi and Caroline at the guards and wings we will be VERY good and trouble for WCBB again

Reaction Score
The same as Carnac said - I'm a fan of Amari. but . . .

IMO to improve her game she needs to be better than just being a PF. Looking at both offense and defense I assume there are better PF's than her; Dorka, Edwards, when UCONN plays small ball Evina and Caroline also. These are 4. Then next year Aubrey comes back (while Aubrey doesn't have the offensive skills she is probably far superior defensively. And probably a superior Offensive Rebounder And on both transition offense and transition defense Aubrey would be far superior.). Also Ice and Ayanna are major threats. But if she could use her size for more than just jump shots – she is much different than most.

IMO she has to be more than just a High Low Post offensive Power Forward player. If that is all she can do then it's limited. Because what happens when your shot is off and you don’t have to be double-teamed? How effective will she be if her defense is also limited not only on transition, but can't guard "the Siegrist types" and can't guard the physical posts either? And can't hedge out and be effective enough to help team cause missed shots/turnovers?

She has a perimeter offense but she also needs to learn to treat smaller players like they are a small mouse in her house. There are too many other better players for her to settle on “just being good enough” as only a high post player with very limited defense (I suspect it’s limited.). There is more to a post than just “High-Low.
AD is what she is,,,,,,,,,,,basically ONO part two deux except she's a better shooter but not yet there defensively..........that gives Geno two bigs with Brady and possibly three if Dorka returns who all can shoot the three.........that's a nice problem to have especially against teams like South Carolina....

Reaction Score
No, no--Piath and Amari are not equally-talented... Certainly as you said, Piath has a lot of upside to her, but even if Piath achieves all her potential, Amari is far superior. Amari is the most skilled big that UConn has ever had--Stewie excepted... As with a lot of HS stars, Amari had A.I. syndrome: in HS she could coast in practice and still be stellar in games. Now that she has apparently gotten that out of her head and made the necessary adjustments, Amari will show her immense talent and value...
I'm not willing to say she's the most talented big yet but she certainly has the skill set to be a force.......regarding her high school competition take a look at this........

Reaction Score
Team chemistry is important, without it a team does not win very often, however, developing young players skills is paramount to future success and retaining future star players. IMO, team chemistry and player development are both important but a coach must find the correct balance between them, do you lessen the chance to win today’s games by providing game time for today’s bench, a bench that has very talented players who love the game and want to play ASAP. I personally feel Dawn does the best job of today’s coaches balancing team chemistry and bench player development. You do not see transfers away from SC very often and I feel that is a direct results of Dawn’s chemistry vs player development philosophy.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
DeBerry reminds me a bit of Stewey and hope she has similar success. In her Freshman year, Stewey seemed to avoid physical play and liked to play on the outside. By her Soph year, she seemed to realize that if you were a shot blocker you also had to rebound, which meant banging down low. The rest is history.
If she’s 75% of Stewie that is pretty good. She looks pretty confident in her O. So hard to judge players who aren’t playing until the game is decided but there certainly seems to be a lot to look forward to.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This winter (November) when the 2022-2023 season begins, Amari will have spent 17 months in the program. I expect to the the "fruits of her labor" and the results of the coach's labor during that time in Amari when the season begins. ONO will be gone. She has already said SHE WILL NOT RETURN.

There will be 2 openings in Geno's starting lineup next season. Christyn's spot and ONO's spot. I'm assuming that Paige gets her spot back, and Azzi gets a spot. Aaliyah should earn a spot. As a junior, I can't see her coming off the bench, especially if she finishes the season like she's playing now.

That leaves 2 spots. A wing and a post. This will be the subject of the debate. Who fills these two spots? Unless Geno adds another player from the portal, this will be his 11 player roster for the 2022-2023 season. Note that like last year, Geno will have no seniors on this roster unless Aubrey Griffin chooses to forego a redshirt application.

It's my guess that the starters for that first exhibition game in November are in BOLD. Of course that can change for game 2 and beyond. We should know a day or two before that first game. Many things can happen between now and then that would alter this guess. which is 8 months out. Gabriel will be a junior next year. I expect to see more of her in games next year. How much more remains to be seen.

Edwards (Jr)
Bueckers (Jr)
Fudd (Soph)
Ducharme (Soph)
Juhasz (Gr) (if she returns as she says she will) Her experience and Maturity should may DeBerry's

Muhl (Jr)
Gabriel (Jr)
Brady (Fr)
Patterson (Fr)

Thoughts?
My thoughts are yep...and, Geno goes to the portal to find another guard. We are solid in the post and on the wings but with Bueckers, Fudd and Muhl at the guard and after what we experienced this year with the injury bug...you can never have enough guards.

Reaction Score
AD is what she is,,,,,,,,,,,basically ONO part two deux except she's a better shooter but not yet there defensively..........that gives Geno two bigs with Brady and possibly three if Dorka returns who all can shoot the three.........that's a nice problem to have especially against teams like South Carolina....
I'm not sure she is Liv-. Liv could defend the 5, she has good lateral quickness and an extremely good help defender. Is Amari any of this? An occasional blocked shot doesn't make her an extremely good help defender.

If AD becomes near Liv defensively absolutely. But if not and she doesn't give much other than high post then next year she is going to struggle to get minutes unless her offense is super-tremendous. You need 2-way players and if she can't defend well then she will probably not play and especially vs SC.

And if Dorka comes back (ofc if Dorka doesn't comes back that would open up opportunities a lot) she won't beat out her and Edwards I don't think. And Griffin is better in all defense except blocked shots and is a better transition player and probably a better offensive rebounder. That takes up a lot of minutes.

And with all this there are two players coming in next year threatening her position at the 4. They are both ranked higher as seniors that Amra was when she was a senior. If just one of them is very good at many things and if all AD could do is play at the high post then imo that won't be enough unless she is super-tremendous there.

Reaction Score
Team chemistry is important, without it a team does not win very often, however, developing young players skills is paramount to future success and retaining future star players. IMO, team chemistry and player development are both important but a coach must find the correct balance between them, do you lessen the chance to win today’s games by providing game time for today’s bench, a bench that has very talented players who love the game and want to play ASAP. I personally feel Dawn does the best job of today’s coaches balancing team chemistry and bench player development. You do not see transfers away from SC very often and I feel that is a direct results of Dawn’s chemistry vs player development philosophy.
UCONN was better than SC last year. Not sure how anyone can say Dawn is better just because this year she is number 1 so far. If UCONN gets to more final fours and has more championships how is it that there chemistry is not superior to SC's? Are you suggesting because more people stay on a team they are better? Because we can agree that UCONN beat SC last year and as a result was better, right? OS after 1 year Dawn gets the award?

Reaction Score

Edwards (Jr)
Bueckers (Jr)
Fudd (Soph)
Ducharme (Soph)

Muhl (Jr)
Gabriel (Jr)
Brady (Fr)
Patterson (Fr)

Thoughts?
We may be seeing Geno send in "pairs" and "triplets" in to create extreme mismatches juxtaposed to his drive to 'positionless' basketball...

E.g. DeBerry, Gabriel & Griffin for Edwards, Juhasz & Ducharme, and/or Brady & Patterson (power, speed/athleticism "pair") for Edwards & Juhasz - it may be January 2023 for this 'pair' however....

Muhl will be the relief for Paige & Azzi when Geno or CD wants to talk to them for longer than 30 seconds at a time or for them to analyze what is going on before starting another large run to put the game away...

Reaction Score
I think talent and skills are two different entities. I see Piath as being at least equal in physical talent as Amari. I see Amari being way ahead in basketball skills. Amari is far superior in her basketball skills at this time: can Piath with her late start ever develop her skills to that level? No one, including myself, knows that, but I respectfully disagree that Amari is "far superior" in potential. Piath has a long road ahead in terms of developing her skill set, but she has the physical tools to do so if she has the motivation.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure she is Liv-. Liv could defend the 5, she has good lateral quickness and an extremely good help defender. Is Amari any of this? An occasional blocked shot doesn't make her an extremely good help defender.

If AD becomes near Liv defensively absolutely. But if not and she doesn't give much other than high post then next year she is going to struggle to get minutes unless her offense is super-tremendous. You need 2-way players and if she can't defend well then she will probably not play and especially vs SC.

And if Dorka comes back (ofc if Dorka doesn't comes back that would open up opportunities a lot) she won't beat out her and Edwards I don't think. And Griffin is better in all defense except blocked shots and is a better transition player and probably a better offensive rebounder. That takes up a lot of minutes.

And with all this there are two players coming in next year threatening her position at the 4. They are both ranked higher as seniors that Amra was when she was a senior. If just one of them is very good at many things and if all AD could do is play at the high post then imo that won't be enough unless she is super-tremendous there.
I don't think it's possible to know what exactly Deberry's defensive potential is yet........she'll never be dominant like Boston and she's clearly not the athlete ONO is but as we've seen with a player like Dolson, you don't have to be a high jumper or have the quickest feet to be an effective defender.........Deberry's plusses are certainly on the offensive side.......not only does she have a very soft touch and good range on her shot, she's already got the high post passing skills that ONO mastered over her four years........so I'd like to think she will be an adequate defender and a sold offensive threat that will benefit from UConn's coaching and play calling......

Reaction Score
I don't think it's possible to know what exactly Deberry's defensive potential is yet........she'll never be dominant like Boston and she's clearly not the athlete ONO is but as we've seen with a player like Dolson, you don't have to be a high jumper or have the quickest feet to be an effective defender.........Deberry's plusses are certainly on the offensive side.......not only does she have a very soft touch and good range on her shot, she's already got the high post passing skills that ONO mastered over her four years........so I'd like to think she will be an adequate defender and a sold offensive threat that will benefit from UConn's coaching and play calling......
But you're almost describing a "Princeton" player. "Princeton" doesn't win Nat'l Championships. If the combination of things happen below offensively vs being just mediocre on Defense - she will potentially not see many minutes,. -
The point is - the others could be good at the high post (even if not as good as her) but better than her at all other facets of offense and just much better on defense, so if that were the case, why would she play if UCONN's offense still runs well with or without her?

The point is that "adequate defensively" might not be enough. I agree though - it is way too unknown for now. I indicated on my 1st post that she needs to be better. No way am I suggesting she can't. Looking forward big time to see.

Offensively: (Potentially a player wouldn't need to be better in all of these to get more minutes than AD if they are much better than AD defensively, along with if she doesn't do other things such as)

If she can't low post well while others can she is at a deficit in this area vs that other player.

If she can't create off the dribble (drive-and-score/ drive-and-dish) while others can she is at a deficit in this area vs that other player.

If she can't offensive rebound while others can she is at a deficit in this area vs that other player..

If she doesn't get down the court well offensively to be a part of fast-pace transition (if she is not a center then some teams are going to potentially pull her outside more to defend) basketball then she is at a deficit vs that other player.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Prediction for Amari next year. More pine time.
Ok, I will play along with your fantasy, why are your predicting more "pine time" for Amari next year? Especially considering bigs take a bit longer to develop and that for as wonderful as we always think the "next best thing is coming in next year" Isunah will also have to learn, and Ayanna is not a back to the basket "big". As Amari learns more of the defensive rotations and the offenses read and react, given her skills, I do see her earning significant time next year. And if Dorka decides to turn Pro, Amari will probably be a starter by the end of next year. So, humor us and please tell why you think Amari will not play?

Reaction Score
That's like comparing the moon to the sun. Amari is not even in the same universe as Stewie as far as talent/skill goes, whether it's inside or outside.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wonder how long it's going to take her to figure out that's not a good way to get PT.
She should have already figured that out. Remember what the Wizard of Westwood, John Wooden use to say: "The bench is an excellent teacher." She's being coached and mentored everyday by her position coach. She knows. ONO is gone after this year. Amari will be in demand next year, and hopefully will be in the right frame of mind and body to fill that role.

ONO started as a freshman if you remember, out of necessity. Geno had no options. in the 2018-2019 season. The next tallest players on the team then were 6'2" junior Kyla Irwin and 6'3" senior Katie Lou Samuelsson, neither of whom were post players. Geno HAD to play ONO. If you remember ONO committed in the 11th of her senior year in HS hour AFTER Charlie Collier reneged on her oral commitment to UConn, and decided to go to Texas. Thank goodness for ONO. UConn would have been in dire straights if ONO had decided to go else where.

Things would work out perfectly IF DeBerry is able to play the 5 next year, but this time Geno does have other options if DeBerry can't answer that call. He's got Juhasz (if she returns), Incoming freshman Ayanna Patterson (I know that's a reach, but she is an option). She's listed at 6'2. , but she's super athletic.

Don't forget, Aneesah Morrow (DePaul) is only 6-1, and she's doing ok. She's got a string of 20 double-doubles going, and is leading the nation in rebounding. Then there's Piath Gabriel. Right now she doesn't appear to be ready, but neither was ONO when Geno threw her in the mix. She learned as she went along. Last but not least you've got incoming freshman Ice Brady listed at 6-4. Regardless of her state of readiness, she is an option.

DeBerry may not be a good practice player, but at least she's been in the system long enough to have an idea of what she's suppose to do. Perhaps she will made a sophomore leap great enough to pass muster and start. Geno has options THIS year. That's one reason why she's not playing. He has the luxury of allowing her to sit for a year and learn the system. There's also the possibility that Geno is able to pick up a post player from the portal. I know it's a "distant" possibility, but there's a chance. If one wants to come here like Juhasz did for the right reasons, Geno may well consider taking her.

I don't have a preference. I'm NOT advocating for one player over another. I'll take what comes. I'm a fan, not a coach. That's Geno's job. In Geno I trust. When UConn plays their first exhibition game in November 9 months from now, he's going to put his best 5 players on the floor. Whether Amari is one of them remains to be seen.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ok, I will play along with your fantasy, why are your predicting more "pine time" for Amari next year? Especially considering bigs take a bit longer to develop and that for as wonderful as we always think the "next best thing is coming in next year" Isunah will also have to learn, and Ayanna is not a back to the basket "big". As Amari learns more of the defensive rotations and the offenses read and react, given her skills, I do see her earning significant time next year. And if Dorka decides to turn Pro, Amari will probably be a starter by the end of next year. So, humor us and please tell why you think Amari will not play?
A couple of things could hold her back IMHO (not speaking for the OP, just for myself). Amari does not seem to play with intensity or a sense of urgency. Even when she runs down the court, she seems to glide, moving slower than our other bigs. Granted, that may be her top speed so it's hard to tell but...

Geno has said she's not a good practice player at all. Her practices apparently are pretty bad. So if that does not change next year, I don't know that she will play. I've also noticed a decided lack of intensity especially on the defensive end. If you compare her defense to Dorka, Liv and Aaliyah, they have their arms up, are usually in motion, and they just "look" like they are putting in a lot of effort on defense. I don't see that with Amari.

Geno has also said she's one of the most skilled bigs he's gotten in a while. I believe the talent is there. I just think the effort and intensity needs to ramp up. But that's just my couch potato coaching eyes. Geno sees much better than I do of course!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom