Geno being sued | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno being sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The problem is that, in civil suits like this, the best move is very often to settle. If the defendant is guilty of what s/he's accused of, paying some money to keep the story from blowing up is the smart decision. If you're innocent, it's still often best to settle. For one, the burden of proof is less for civil cases than criminal ones, and for another, the more evidence provided in open court, even if the verdict is in your favor, the more damaging it can be to your reputation.

This is a very, very serious issue. It's going to touch on a lot of underlying stuff that doesn't get talked about much, like the increasing numbers of men's coaches in WBB as salaries increased and whether there are inherent risks, etc. lots of speculation. Lots of people who want it to be true just because they don't like Geno. I'm very concerned about this.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Even if Geno did request it seems as if it is the NBA's responsibility and authority to set the personnel. Bad as it is the part involving Geno could be tossed since he had no authority or control over who the NBA assigned. Timing seems to be the plaintiff sued after getting an answer she didn't like.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I really hope this is not true but:

1) This is going to hurt Geno and UConn's images regardless of the truth.

2) As much as it pains me to say this, I don't find her claims implausible.

3) From the NYT article, she makes claims regarding her disclosures to others, including management, shortly after the event in 2009--ranging from the same night to shortly afterwards. These are claims that could be easily disproved (interviewing her boss about whether she did inform him of it back in 2009, fx). Therefore, it would be pretty foolish, for someone with a law degree and in law enforcement to make these claims unless they are true.

4) Likewise, her rationale for not pursuing action until now seems quite logical to me. If it did happen, I can see why she would just "drop" the matter as a stupid mistake by Geno...until she was removed from the Olympic security detail at Geno's request (again a detail, if not true, would again be easily discoverable)...which then led her to seek an investigation immediately. Only after the investigation was completed by the NBA counsel, without interviewing her list of witnesses, did she sue.
Conversely, it would be incredibly, astoundingly foolish for the most powerful and visible man in women's sports to engage in anything remotely akin to what he's accused of. So someone's definitely being really dumb.

Reaction Score
This is troubling on a number of levels, not the least of which
is recruiting.

Even if Geno didn't do anything wrong, his reputation has taken
a hit that a dismissal of the suit would not entirely assuage.

This is very bad - for Geno and for UConn WBB, IMO.

Reaction Score
Although some women make false reports, there are far more victims of sexual assault in the world who do not report crimes because they don't think anyone will believe them. Many who do report never get a chance at justice because the police do not take them seriously.
If this women is making a false report to gain some advantage, she's as guilty as anyone of encouraging this harmful way of thinking. Please don't stoop to that level.

Reaction Score
Although some women make false reports, there are far more victims of sexual assault in the world who do not report crimes because they don't think anyone will believe them. Many who do report never get a chance at justice because the police do not take them seriously. If this women is making a false report to gain some advantage, she's as guilty as anyone of encouraging this harmful way of thinking. Please don't stoop to that level.

+1

Reaction Score
Key point to remember: the last complaintant got $11.5 million from Tolbert and Isaih Thomas.

The filings seem to be more pissed (in general) at the NBA than Geno.
I remain skeptical.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Although some women make false reports, there are far more victims of sexual assault in the world who do not report crimes because they don't think anyone will believe them. Many who do report never get a chance at justice because the police do not take them seriously. If this women is making a false report to gain some advantage, she's as guilty as anyone of encouraging this harmful way of thinking. Please don't stoop to that level.

This is very true, ursus. Although given the recent pattern at the NBA involving suits one might expect that to have been less likely in those offices. One element in all of these accusations also seems to involve running into the glass ceiling.

Reaction Score
If Kelly Hardwick had a legitimate complaint, she would have filed it a long time ago.

Geno did her no harm in Russia. If Geno has reservations about her appointment to lead the security team for Women's basketball in London, he probably has good reasons --- and a responsibility to inform USB of his reservations.

Sexual harassment charges are a powerful tool that many women use to "punish" powerful men who have slighted them. My guess is that Kelly Hardwick has a chip on her shoulder and she is attacking Geno with the most effective weapon she has in her arsenal.

You can bet your last dollar that Geno will have a team of VERY GOOD LAWYERS all over this case. And he won't lose much sleep over it. He has many bigger issues
on his plate right now.

that's quite a bold generalization. If anything, I would bet there are more cases that are not filed due to the victim being scared of retaliation or losing her job.

EEOC stats:

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/statistics/enforcement/sexual_harassment.cfm

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sexual harassment charges are a powerful tool that many women use to "punish" powerful men who have slighted them. My guess is that Kelly Hardwick has a chip on her shoulder and she is attacking Geno with the most effective weapon she has in her arsenal.

That storyline is as old as Potiphar's wife and Joseph in Genesis 39.

There is some psychology to be considered here. The accuser claims to have reported it immediately to another supervising staff member. In cases where charges are not brought it is relatively rare that an event is reported to anyone. Women who do not bring charges rarely speak to anyone, especially, without processing the events for some time for exactly the types of reasons ursus notes.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Many?
And you base this on ... ?

I base this on personal experience. I was a coach at Rollins College from 1985-1990. I witnessed MANY instances of sexual harassment charges being filed against professors or coaches by girls who had a bone to pick with some adult who gave them a bad grade, report, evaluation etc. Other students whom I knew well often knew what was going on and said the charges were "made up and had no basis in reality."

At Rollins, as at most colleges, the rules were written so the student does not have to identify herself or be identified by the college in these S.H. cases. The accused staff usually had no idea who their protagonists were. Further, the rules prohibit the accused from making any effort to learn who his accuser is. If the accused makes an effort to find out, that is considered by the college rules as a "further act of harassment." Bottom line: the cards are stacked against the college teacher or coach. And the girls know this. They have the power and they use it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Didn't a judge sue a Mom & Pop dry cleaner for $15 million for losing his pants? Just because someone has held a position of authority doesn't make their comments unimpeachable.
Actually, $60+ million.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/LegalCenter/story?id=3119381&page=1

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/06/13/judge-who-sued-dry-cleaners-for-millions-cries-in-court/

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-05-02/...-damages-dry-cleaning-business-judge?_s=PM:US

Per Wikipedia: It has been held up as an example of frivolous litigation and the need for tort reform in the United States.

I don't think I'd want him presiding in my case.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just going to have to let this thing play out. Way too soon in the game to pass any kind of judgement against Geno or Ms. Hardwick.

What we do know is that this is going to be THE topic of conversation among many fan bases as further justification for their intense hatred of Geno. It will be a distraction as Geno coaches the US team, and on the recruiting trail as some opposing coaches will no doubt use this in negative recruiting. And it will be a distraction for UConn as long as this thing plays out.

Whether there is any validity to the accusations or not, it has the potential to be very damaging for all concerned. This just sucks.
This.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
no one witnessed it... her drinking buddy got off the elevator on a different floor

...and you know this how?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
that's quite a bold generalization. If anything, I would bet there are more cases that are not filed due to the victim being scared of retaliation or losing her job.
While that might be true, that does not not make OC's bold generalization, not true. (They really are not related.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Come on, don't exaggerate it was only 54 million.
But the initial demand was really $67 million. The plaintiff later reduced his demand to a modest $54M. So, obviously, common sense prevailed. :(

Reaction Score
While that might be true, that does not not make OC's bold generalization, not true. (They really are not related.)

OC's generalization is not true. It's completely untrue. A really really low percentage of sexual assault cases are false, like less than 3 percent.

That said, it's a completely different story when it comes to wealthy and powerful men. It could very well be as simple as Geno made a request that she is taken off the security and she sues because she can makeup an unprovable story and take his money..

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I base this on personal experience. I was a coach at Rollins College from 1985-1990. I witnessed MANY instances of sexual harassment charges being filed against professors or coaches by girls who had a bone to pick with some adult who gave them a bad grade, report, evaluation etc. Other students whom I knew well often knew what was going on and said the charges were "made up and had no basis in reality."

At Rollins, as at most colleges, the rules were written so the student does not have to identify herself or be identified by the college in these S.H. cases. The accused staff usually had no idea who their protagonists were. Further, the rules prohibit the accused from making any effort to learn who his accuser is. If the accused makes an effort to find out, that is considered by the college rules as a "further act of harassment." Bottom line: the cards are stacked against the college teacher or coach. And the girls know this. They have the power and they use it.

Not far off the mark IMO. I was falsely accused of sexual harrassment in the military. The 1st charge was quickly squashed, the accuser was a young woman that I had disciplined. Fortunately she was overheard bragging about how she was getting even with that SOB - the SOB being me.

The 2nd was much more difficult, after all it was the second accusation. The only thing that saved me was that another crewmember had served with her at a previous command where she had pulled the same stunt.

Rightly or wrongly, my first response to these sort of accusations is "what did he do to piss her off".

Reaction Score

You've got a very very small sample size in a unique community with its own rules (eg, a college).

Making inferences based on such limited data to the broader population seems more than a stretch.

Reaction Score
False accusations can be so damaging. In retrospect Diana was so lucky that she was able to disprove the results of the positive drug screen in Turkey. Even if Geno is innocent he might never find a way to prove it.

Reaction Score
OC's generalization is not true. It's completely untrue. A really really low percentage of sexual assault cases are false, like less than 3 percent.

That said, it's a completely different story when it comes to wealthy and powerful men. It could very well be as simple as Geno made a request that she is taken off the security and she sues because she can makeup an unprovable story and take his money..

With her work records, in supervising security for international events, as reflected in the brief filed in NY, why would coach A have any concerns about her?

He would only know her on a professional level, right?

Definately a bummer, true or not true, in terms of the potential impact this could/might/will have on future recruitment.

I sincerely hope that members of the team will be able to avoid getting cought up in this as it unfolds.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

I have never heard of Geno doing anything in the past that would even hint that these charges against him are true.

How distressing that some UConn fans are giving even a small amount of credence to these allegations only 4 hours after the story was reported. I shudder to think of what the many who dislike Geno are discussing on-line.

Reaction Score

This is why it's important to focus on individual cases and look into actual facts. Sweeping generalizations help very few people, and in the long run often do the most harm to victims who've already been seriously hurt. There are statistics everywhere, statistical anomalies everywhere.
At the end of the day, this woman is either lying or not, and statistics have nothing to do with it. Facts do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom