Game Week - UConn v. Tulane (Senior Day) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn v. Tulane (Senior Day)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More EggNog less Captain Morgan please... ;)
Sorry guys. fat thumb alert on the comment. Let's try this again.

In order to properly help Diaco we need a bona-fide OC as well as much much much much better special teams. much better. a return man along with the ability to possibly block a kick/punt. None of our needs are currently showing get up as even a beep in the radar of any of our current game plans.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys. fat thumb alert on the comment. Let's try this again.

In order to properly help Diaco we need a bona-fide OC as well as much much much much better special teams. much better. a return man along with the ability to possibly block a kick/punt. None of our needs are currently showing get up as even a beep in the radar of any of our current game plans.
In the event that Diaco stays which I think is likely due to buy-out amount coupled with state's fiscal woes. Along with telling Diaco to bring in new OC with complete control of offense, Special teams needs to be large part of Benedict conversation. When the other team punts we rush guys who stop five yards from punter to protect against a fake every time. The opposing punter knows it, takes their time and gets off great kicks which we do not or can not return due to the quality of the kick. I would guess that opposing punters stats whether by yards or kicking inside the 20 are significantly higher against us than their average. Benedict needs to tell him to stop with the frequent and low chance of success with the fake FG's. They work when infrequent and with element of surprise. At this point teams are sitting on it. Diaco should be told that included in control of offense the OC would make all decisions on 4th down as well.

Reaction Score
We have a coach who doesn't believe in returning punts, has no concept of clock management or how and when to use a timeout, doesn't like to make adjustments based on opposing teams personnel and schemes, leaves players in games and smiles when they commmit boneheaded personal fouls, says our defense is fine, and so far has not shown he has the ability to properly evaluate talent on recruiting trail.

But it's definitely just our O Coordinator.

Reaction Score
You are correct, there are a number of issues for sure but the offense is the big elephant in the room. If that doesn't get fixed big time, nothing else really matters. If Diaco makes a bad decision again on his choice for OC's, I will be the first to spout off. As I said earlier, what happens here is critical.

Reaction Score
You are correct, there are a number of issues for sure but the offense is the big elephant in the room. If that doesn't get fixed big time, nothing else really matters. If Diaco makes a bad decision again on his choice for OC's, I will be the first to spout off. As I said earlier, what happens here is critical.

They are all big elephants.

Reaction Score
We should lead by example here--and that starts with honesty even if it hurts.
Diaco is a terrible coach on multiple levels.
The state is in tough financial shape.
If that is the reason for not firing the guy then so be it--but lets not pretend there is any other reason.

Reaction Score

Benedict and Diaco are going to have to be quite the salesmen when looking for an OC. It's going to be pretty tough to convince someone that it's a stable job.

Reaction Score
Benedict and Diaco are going to have to be quite the salesmen when looking for an OC. It's going to be pretty tough to convince someone that it's a stable job.

On the contrary, it's a real challenge and a great opportunity for someone to make a name for themself. No where to go but up.

Reaction Score
On the contrary, it's a real challenge and a great opportunity for someone to make a name for themself. No where to go but up.

I think the issue is that the new coordinator will be one and done because the entire staff will be fired after next season. (Still holding out hope they will come up with money to buy out HCBD 30 seconds after the final whistle on Saturday)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I donated my tickets to a buddy He's taking a woman he just started dating and a couple she knows.

I said "buddy", not friend. He has no idea I could care less if he has a good time as long as my tickets are scanned.

Now, I can sit in my chair and watch a more exciting video of turtles f^ing,

Guilt free.

jho

Reaction Score
After attending the BC fiasco, I'm passing on tomorrow's game. In fact, I wouldn't bother to look out my window if they were playing the game in my backyard.

Reaction Score

Published on Nov 24, 2016 -- RS Sr. Defensive lineman Sean Marinan grew up in a football family. He shares his head for the game with his teammates whenever he sees an opportunity. The Connecticut native also continues to shine in the classroom with a 4.0 GPA.

Reaction Score

'Gonna be all right:' Nico Marley wraps up unforgettable Tulane football career Saturday at UConn

>>If not for senior day in his freshman year, Marley would have the rare feat of starting every game in his career. He was held out for the first play to give a senior linebacker his due before entering on the second snap. He has not been out of the starting lineup before or since then, exhibiting his toughness this season by starting against SMU and Central Florida despite suffering a severely sprained ankle against Tulsa. He was held out of all practices both weeks, taking only mental reps, but he still made 15 tackles in those two games.<<

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
God. 42 consecutive offensive series without a touchdown. I don't even have the words.

I'm hoping that Williams will get his first TD pass in front of me tomorrow. Perhaps that's me being overly optimistic again... :(

Reaction Score
Fuller - 5 Things to Watch

>>TULANE AT UCONN
When: Saturday, 4 p.m.
Where: Rentschler Field, East Hartford
Records: Tulane 3-8 (0-7 AAC); UConn 3-8 (1-6)
TV: ESPNews
Internet: ESPN3
Radio: WTIC-1080, WAVZ-1300

5 THINGS TO WACTH

1. Points at a premium: In the last two games between these teams, there has been one offensive touchdown scored. UConn cornerback Jamar Summers had the only TD in the 2015 game and the defense may need to give the struggling offenses a boost. Tulane ranks last nationally with a 90.9 passing efficiency rating and a 41 percent completion percentage, the lowest since Army’s 38.1 percent mark in 2011. Meanwhile, UConn is the only FBS team yet to score in the first quarter and the Huskies have the fewest yards in the first quarter this season. The Huskies have only led for 9:30 in the first quarter and 31:38 in the first half this season. Along with Wake Forest, they are the only two teams to rank 100th or lower in total offense in each of the last four seasons with the Huskies the only squad to hold that distinction during each of the last five season.

2. Productive seniors: Only eight seniors are on UConn’s offensive or defensive two-deep chart, but the class makes up for in quality what it may lack in quantity. Safety Obi Melifonwu can become the first Husky to lead the team in tackles and interceptions in the same season since Danny Lansanah in 2006 and needs 14 tackles to break into the top 10 on UConn’s career list. Noel Thomas already holds the single-season receptions record. With 60 receiving yards he would move up four spots and into second place in that category. He is already fourth in career catches and eighth in career receiving yards. Justin Wain is third in career punting yards and tied for fourth in career punts while Bobby Puyol is third with 39 career field goals and eighth with 177 career points. Guard Richard Levy would move into sole possession of third place with his 37th straight start.

3. Bucking a trend: Donovan Williams is set to make his third career start. History has not been kind to true freshmen starters at quarterback for UConn as the Huskies have lost the last 14 games started by a quarterback one year removed from high school. Williams is 0-2, Tim Boyle was 0-4 in 2013, Dennis Brown 0-2 in 2005 and Dan Orlovsky lost his last six games in 2001. Orlovsky was the last true freshman QB to lead UConn to victory as he threw for 180 yards and a touchdown in a 19-0 win over Eastern Michigan on Oct. 6, 2001.

4. Hit the ground running: No FBS team has made more of an improvement in rushing offense than Tulane. The Green Wave went from averaging 115.6 yards per game and 3.5 yards per carry during the 2015 season to 225.64 rushing yards per contest and 4.6 yards per attempt. Auburn is the only other FBS team to average 100 more rushing yards per game during the 2016 season than in 2015. Dontrell Hilliard leads the way once again but seniors Josh Rounds and Lazedrick Thompson combine for 98 yards per game after managing less than 31 yards per game between them a season ago.

5. Turning the page: Tulane is one of 11 FBS teams with at least 10 fumbles recovered and 10 fumbles lost. The Green Wave are tied for second nationally with 13 fumble recoveries. Tulane has seven touchdowns and five field goals on drives starting with a takeaway. On the other end of the spectrum, Green Wave opponents have scored five defensive touchdowns this season. UConn was minus four in turnover margin in the BC loss, the first time that has happened since a 2013 game against Louisville.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom