Game Week 2022 - UConn v. Syracuse (Saturday 9/10/22 @ 7p on CBSSN) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Game Week 2022 - UConn v. Syracuse (Saturday 9/10/22 @ 7p on CBSSN)

Reaction Score
Good kid. Was a teammate of my son. Nice parents. Dad played at UConn. You may hear mom say night - she’s a screamer.

Did you son play with Tyler Van Dyke? Any thoughts on him, if so?

Reaction Score

Still don't see it so looked at Espn stats and QBR ratings. Not sure how works but higher number is better.

Zion vs. UTS 12.3
Zion vs. CCSC 27.0

Bonner (UTS QB) vs UConn 84.9
Schrader (Fruit QB vs Loserville 77.1

So, whatever the ratings mean they suggest:

1. Zion is pretty low on scale but improving.
2. UTS QB against UConn and Fruit QB against Losers were much, much better.
3. Fruit QB is about as effective as the kid from UTS UConn faced in 1st game. For some reason thought he was thought to be so much better so maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic about our defense against the fruit.

Reaction Score
Still don't see it so looked at Espn stats and QBR ratings. Not sure how works but higher number is better.

Zion vs. UTS 12.3
Zion vs. CCSC 27.0

3. Fruit QB is about as effective as the kid from UTS UConn faced in 1st game. For some reason thought he was thought to be so much better so maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic about our defense against the fruit.
PFF QB grading is different from QBR (everyone needs an angle ;)):

GRADES VS. STATS:

We aren’t grading players based on the yardage they rack up or the stats they collect. Statistics can be indicative of performance but don’t tell the whole story and can often lie badly. Quarterbacks can throw the ball straight to defenders but if the ball is dropped, you won't see it on the stat sheet. Conversely, they can dump the ball off on a sequence of screen passes and end up with a gaudy looking stat line if those skill position players do enough work after the catch.

PFF grades the play, not its result, so the quarterback that throws the ball to defenders will be downgraded whether the defender catches the ball to notch the interception on the stat sheet or not. No amount of broken tackles and yards after the catch from a bubble screen will earn a quarterback a better grade, even though his passing stats may be getting padded.”

Reaction Score

The Syracuse QB is a heck of a runner. A poor man's Josh Allen. (Bills QB). I fear we will need to put up 30 points just to be in the game. Cuse has some weapons.

Reaction Score

Zion vs. UTS 12.3
Zion vs. CCSC 27.0

The QBR ratings are based solely on statistics. They count all incomplete passes as the same, for example, whether you're intentionally throwing the ball away because you had no pass protection or you're overthrowing a wide open TB in the flat. The game ratings that were posted are actually judging the position player for what they did individually, so making a tough downfield throw to a WR who drops it gets you a positive, while completing a swing pass to an open TB who then runs 50 yards for a TD may simply be doing what you are expected and getting you a neutral score for that play.

I'm not saying I understand Turner's high grade by the way. To the naked eye, it certainly did not appear that he was one of our five most effective players. But using a statistical scale to try to analyze a much more complex but somewhat subjective performance scale isn't going to get you very far. A QBR really measures the teams passing offense more than the QBs individual performance.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom