GAME THREADDD!!!! UC Davis - Uconn | Page 12 | The Boneyard

GAME THREADDD!!!! UC Davis - Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UcMiami said:
They are like 37th string - one camera, one producer, and two talent ESPN3 travel team - but I agree they produced a good broadcast.
People complain a lot about announcers and ESPNU broadcasts or this ESPN3 only broadcast but in reality we are spoiled rotten. I doubt there are many if any other women's games that ESPN would send a crew to simply for the web cast. Kudos to them!

Even so toward the end of the game when the freshman were in and things were happening on the floor those guys started gabbing about other things. so as well as the game started they were drinking the ESPN gabbing Koolaide by the end of it

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
HoopsHoppy said:
Nurse will get plenty of minutes early and before the "dogs" get called off - I'd like to see her in with Tuck or instead of Tuck with the rest of the freshmen and walkons at the end - they could use her to control tempo and movement to develop and maintain understanding of how the women play that makes watching UConn play such a pleasure.

Towards the end of games when Gina puts in his walk ons and his freshmen, he always has an upperclassman with them.

Reaction Score
They are like 37th string - one camera, one producer, and two talent ESPN3 travel team - but I agree they produced a good broadcast.
People complain a lot about announcers and ESPNU broadcasts or this ESPN3 only broadcast but in reality we are spoiled rotten. I doubt there are many if any other women's games that ESPN would send a crew to simply for the web cast. Kudos to them!
Highly doubtful that was an ESPN crew. Espn3 usually just picks up the feed of a local crew.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Absolutely, Both Chong and Nurse will have plenty of minutes.

Unless UCONN builds a really big lead I think Geno will stick with a 7 player rotation against Stanford. Nurse looked to be the only freshman ready to play against a high quality opponent.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Highly doubtful that was an ESPN crew. Espn3 usually just picks up the feed of a local crew.
Their mike had the ESPN logo and there was no broadcast television available for this game - now they may be independent contractors hired for this specific job, very possible, but it was not another company's broadcast as sometimes happens when ESPN/SNY buys the local company's feed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The interesting thing with Nurse is she played half of her minutes in the first half replacing Chong and the other half replacing Moriah - basically a mix and match three guard rotation. I think it also gets down to who performs better coming off the bench and Chong struggled with that last year, while early returns for Nurse are that she is thriving in that role - why mess with success if you don't have to. Chong is playing well and so is Nurse.

I thought UCD played hard and ran their Princeton offense extremely well - if they had Uconn's talent, they would have caused real problems - as it was they were getting a lot of open looks but couldn't convert. I also thought defensively they controlled the paint pretty well - but that left the arc open - a pick your poison - a night when the perimeter shooting was off would have led to a tighter game - but Uconn was on fire! (I suspect, even after this display, Stanford will try something similar. They have better talent so the 'open' looks will not be quite so open, but ...they too will be challenged to defend down low this year.)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The yearly debate on this forum about second guessing Geno's decisions regarding who comes off the bench always amuses me in that it is clear the person coming off the bench isn't coming off because they're a lesser player than the people they are replacing and merely plugging a hole until the starter is rusted and can come back in. No. he looks for exciting dynamic players - a spark off the bench if you will to come in and raise the level of the team. this is something he has always done and it is no way an indication of what kind of player it is except to say that he trusts this person to come in and change the game for the better.

If you recall 2 years ago Bria Hartley became the sixth man during the NCAA tournament and provided that spark very well. these dynamic freshman that we have had and have now will fill that role well and actually we are really gifted having both Morgan and K Nurse come in because when they do, while wow what a change! it looks to me as though someone put the hammer down on the UConn Ferrari.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
RadyLady said:
Towards the end of games when Gina puts in his walk ons and his freshmen, he always has an upperclassman with them.

Damn talk to text - and I didn't check this and I can't correct it now

of course I meant Geno

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
RadyLady said:

Damn talk to text - and I didn't check this and I can't correct it now

of course I meant Geno

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
it is clear the person coming off the bench isn't coming off because they're a lesser player than the people they are replacing and merely plugging a hole until the starter is rusted and can come back in.

ahem.

rested.;)

Otherwise, spot-on.

Reaction Score
The yearly debate on this forum about second guessing Geno's decisions regarding who comes off the bench always amuses me in that it is clear the person coming off the bench isn't coming off because they're a lesser player than the people they are replacing and merely plugging a hole until the starter is rusted and can come back in. No. he looks for exciting dynamic players - a spark off the bench if you will to come in and raise the level of the team. this is something he has always done and it is no way an indication of what kind of player it is except to say that he trusts this person to come in and change the game for the better.

If you recall 2 years ago Bria Hartley became the sixth man during the NCAA tournament and provided that spark very well. these dynamic freshman that we have had and have now will fill that role well and actually we are really gifted having both Morgan and K Nurse come in because when they do, while wow what a change! it looks to me as though someone put the hammer down on the UConn Ferrari.

I thought Geno did the same type of thing with the USA team. There was a great group one followed by a substitution that was so smoking hot (offensively or defensively), that it was demoralizing to the other team.

The players are all exceptional. It is interesting to see how he manages the emotions of the competition and the specific learning capacity of the UCONN player.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
ahem.

rested.;)

Otherwise, spot-on.

Ahem. talk to text on my phone. And I was coming on to see if I could edit (which I can't) or correct with another post (which I no longer need).

The limitations of the electronic world.....

Reaction Score

Not all the time. Last year it was the best 5. IMO he "likes" to do what you suggest but he doesn't always do.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Last year was like a few of the prior years when Dolson/Hartley were feshmen & sophomores. We were so thin with talent on the bench- we didn't have options. We had 6 players. He used to like having Nel Thomas or a Tif Hayes, even Dixon or Kisha S coming off the bench with either threes, or speed/quickness that chgs the game instantly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saw the game on YouTube today and a few things struck me. Stewie was relentless with her ball hawking defense in the full court press which vexed UC Davis to no end. Tall, lanky energizer bunny there! When she was in Chong was quite comfortable telling people by word and gesture where she wanted them. The only thing wrong with 4 out of 5 threes was she didn't take more. Nurse's toughness impressed me. At one point she missed a bunny, came down in a crowd of white jerseys, clawed the ball out and brought it up to the top of the key - all with great economy of movement. Has good hands - at the top of the key a UCD player lost the ball -as it rolled toward UC's basket she pretty much scooped it up without breaking stride, accelerated and took the breakaway 2. Good signs for the future. Morgan looked pretty solid, though for sure her timing/touch is off.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
May as well keep it going! :) Morgan was a bit rusty/timing, etc... But she was moving well as far as I could see. That's the key for us right now- I would think!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure if this thread will still be going in April, but a lot of feel-good here. And yes, Nurse's role as the field commander for a talented freshman crew will be interesting to watch, and whatever stuff that posters want to work up on the Chong vs. Nurse front (just why???), the fact is that three years down the road the experience of a then-group of seniors having Nurse as the veteran steady hand together will be priceless.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Last year was like a few of the prior years when Dolson/Hartley were feshmen & sophomores. We were so thin with talent on the bench- we didn't have options. We had 6 players. He used to like having Nel Thomas or a Tif Hayes, even Dixon or Kisha S coming off the bench with either threes, or speed/quickness that chgs the game instantly.

Yeah, I get that. But still we had someone coming in who raised the level of play, even with the thing bench. That's what Geno as hoophuskie says, "likes" to do.

Reaction Score
Ahem. talk to text on my phone. And I was coming on to see if I could edit (which I can't) or correct with another post (which I no longer need).

The limitations of the electronic world.....
Rebecca Lobo complained that her talk to text insists on spelling UConn Yukon.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo complained that her talk to text insists on spelling UConn Yukon.

Mine does that, too. Sometimes it gets it right, most times I have to manually correct. Sadly, I don't catch all the errors, especially if I am texting on the go

Reaction Score
huh? 'splain

Geno likes to have that spark off the bench - heck he was even going to have Maya come off the bench he even did for a game or two even though she was the best on the team. What he likes to do and feels what he can do - are 2 different things imo. You can't put in players as starters that are significantly worse unless he uses a real quick hook. and they better be (they usally are) more experienced.

I think another post you understood what i was saying?

Reaction Score
I would go at Ek. Gets beat pretty much every time. Of course when you've got 4 other super stars on the court with you, I guess that can cover up for a lot of defensive mistakes.
Sounds like you're planning to throw Ek to the curb. Your posts have a common theme!

Reaction Score
I would go at Ek. Gets beat pretty much every time. Of course when you've got 4 other super stars on the court with you, I guess that can cover up for a lot of defensive mistakes.
I seem to remember that in her freshman year, Stef was considered slow and quite weak on the defensive end of the court. She seemed to really adjust pretty well over time and got herself into position to be a very good defender. I'm getting the impression that you're totally focused on Courtney and her perceived weakness! I wonder how many girls could deal with that type of scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom