Gabby Williams........OMG!!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams........OMG!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have never seen a player, man or woman, take over the game from tip-off to walk off in every aspect of the game like Gabby did. Not just taking over in the fourth quarter, but the whole game. Definitely should be on everyone's radar after the N.D. game. Still can't believe everything she did while playing 40 minutes. Even Superman took a break to chase Lois around for a bit.
You've never seen a player, man or woman take over a game from tip-off to walk off in every aspect of the game like Gabby? You don't remember Maya? You don't remember Michael? Have you watched any Golden State Warrior games with Mr. Curry? How many triple doubles Westbrook has had with OKC? Didn't Larry Bird do amazing things with the Celtics, rebounding, passing, assists, blocks that defied the expression "white men can't jump" and amaze all too often? Why does some many people have this compulsion to call so many different events the best, the most profound, the absolute this, that or whatever. Words matter. Extreme exaggeration is taking over the Boneyard, it seems. Why not talk about her performance in realistic terms? She played a wonderful game and influenced the game in numerous ways. She was the player of the game but didn't Lou show up? Didn't Napheesa show up? Didn't Butler do some nice things? The distorted sense of Gabby almost takes away from the fact that other UConn players played quite well and without THEIR contributions, anything Gabby did would have been lessened.

Reaction Score
Ran into KML, Kia and Gabby in a parking garage in Boston when Gabby and Kia were freshmen and I told Gabby then how great she was going to be once the torch was passed her way. Happy for her, the opportunity she's been given and how she has responded is just incredible. Long way to go until March but the grade right now is a pretty solid A.
She's playing great ball and her leadership is awfully impressive, as well.

Reaction Score
I'm so speechless after watching that incredible game-Gabby in particular, that it's taken me a while to form the words. As a very avg high school/college high jumper, I've always been amazed at great jumper sand track speedsters and have often thought, "Wow, it would be amazing if that athlete could perform on a basketball court".

Watching Gabby play brings that fantasy to reality. In 40 years of watching men's and women's basketball, I have never seen a player absolutely dominate a game with speed, quickness and hops like Gabby did tonight-it was like a cross between a basketball game and a Marvel comic book. Just flat out AWESOMENESS!!
And - to top it off it was incredible to see Geno give her a big-time hug before he was interviewed by Holly Rowe on the floor right after the game was over. Think he likes what he saw???

Reaction Score
Often times we like to find players to compare there games to. Gabby reminded me Dennis Rodman, about to slide thru positions and guard both the guard and forward spot effectively. But after this game I say she showed what it means to be a Uconn Husky, she embodied what it means to give all heart and hustle for a full 40 minutes.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Anyone know if Gabby can dunk?

No video, but around the time she was a senior or incoming frosh, her dad posted on social media some things to the effect that she could, for sure.

She is only an inch shorter than Maya, and Maya's vertical is around 28" give or take. Gabby's is in the low 30's to mid 30's, I would guess. So it seems like she would be able to do it.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
There are a few other players who can rival Gabby on the sheer athleticism front. Shakayla Thomas comes to mind. With all respect to Shakayla, though, I will take Gabby without hesitation.

I think I read or heard somewhere that at the end of last year, Gabby went to Geno's office to talk about what she wanted to do to get better in preparation for this year. From what I recall she wasn't merely serious, she was tearfully earnest about her desire to be exactly what the team needed in the post Stew/MJ/Tuck era.

That's the difference. Sometimes supreme basketball athletes will be guilty of coasting on their physical talent from time to time. Gabby is what happens when you take the athleticism and add a team-centered determination to go all out, all the time.

NICE post thx

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Often times we like to find players to compare there games to. Gabby reminded me Dennis Rodman, about to slide thru positions and guard both the guard and forward spot effectively. But after this game I say she showed what it means to be a Uconn Husky, she embodied what it means to give all heart and hustle for a full 40 minutes.

Gabby's parents MUST be SPECIAL people !!!

Reaction Score
Bellisimo.

I've never seen a player develop like she has. She couldn't shoot a free throw as a freshman. Although, you couldn't discount the amount of production, I certainly didn't project a player that could profoundly impact the game at anytime from anywhere on the court. A selfless interview after the game and your anecdote. It's just incredible. Wonderful player.

Of course, it's easy to be effusive tonight, this was her signature game, so far.

I love to toot my horn but I called this in her freshman year, Gabby immediately showed that she was an elite athlete. She showed hands, footwork and great hops!! This kind of athleticism is rare in the womens game. Gabby can do this every night against any opponent if she wants to.

Reaction Score

Hehehe...when they were at our table for the Endowed Athletic Scholarship dinner, Gabby took all of Pheesa's veggies, and Pheesa ate all of Gabby's meat & seafood. AND they did it as if it was SOP; didn't ask, didn't question, just DID IT.

Interesting Jack Sprat-esque relationship they have.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You've never seen a player, man or woman take over a game from tip-off to walk off in every aspect of the game like Gabby? You don't remember Maya? You don't remember Michael? Have you watched any Golden State Warrior games with Mr. Curry? How many triple doubles Westbrook has had with OKC? Didn't Larry Bird do amazing things with the Celtics, rebounding, passing, assists, blocks that defied the expression "white men can't jump" and amaze all too often? Why does some many people have this compulsion to call so many different events the best, the most profound, the absolute this, that or whatever. Words matter. Extreme exaggeration is taking over the Boneyard, it seems. Why not talk about her performance in realistic terms? She played a wonderful game and influenced the game in numerous ways. She was the player of the game but didn't Lou show up? Didn't Napheesa show up? Didn't Butler do some nice things? The distorted sense of Gabby almost takes away from the fact that other UConn players played quite well and without THEIR contributions, anything Gabby did would have been lessened.
What a buzz kill! It is sportfan hyperbole relax!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No video, but around the time she was a senior or incoming frosh, her dad posted on social media some things to the effect that she could, for sure.

She is only an inch shorter than Maya, and Maya's vertical is around 28" give or take. Gabby's is in the low 30's to mid 30's, I would guess. So it seems like she would be able to do it.
Maya has a longer reach, I believe.

I think her father said, as she was rehabbing from her second knee surgery, that things were going well and she was able to dunk softballs. I'm not sure if she can dunk basketballs or not, but she certainly is close. She played ABOVE the rim last night. My favorite aspect of her vertical is the quickness. She gets off the floor faster than other players. She's exactly like the toy Tigger on springs.

Reaction Score
I remember that Gabby in her freshman year didn't play very much in several high profile games. Her response was that it was HER JOB to make herself better so that Geno would be able to count on her in these types of games. I knew then that this girl was not only a UCONN player but would make herself into a player that we would all come to love. There is no comparison between that freshman and this junior. She is the engine that could.

Reaction Score

Your are obviously more versed in Basketball history than I am. I didn't realize my post would bring such a huge number of questions I must answer to your satisfaction concerning quite the array of topics and the knowledge of so many. I have seen a lot of the feats of which you speak and remember when Bird scored buckets of points, Patrick Ewing grabbed every board, Magic made insane passes for assists but I have never seen one person involved in what seemed like every play of the game and have such an effect on every aspect of that game... NEVER. I don't consider my post an exaggeration by any means and certainly didn't disrespect Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Michael Westbrook, Maya Moore, any other player on UCONN, the Celtics, the Bulls, the GSW, OKC or Superman. What part of my post made you think I implied she went out there and did it herself and without the help of her teammates? After reading your other posts you seem to think "so many people" are saying she is one of the greatest to wear a UCONN uniform. Take it for what it was..... she had a tremendous game and people are acknowledging that and nothing more. Embrace it, let yourself go, enjoy the moment, feel the love and have a blessed day. :)

Reaction Score
Your are obviously more versed in Basketball history than I am. I didn't realize my post would bring such a huge number of questions I must answer to your satisfaction concerning quite the array of topics and the knowledge of so many. I have seen a lot of the feats of which you speak and remember when Bird scored buckets of points, Patrick Ewing grabbed every board, Magic made insane passes for assists but I have never seen one person involved in what seemed like every play of the game and have such an effect on every aspect of that game... NEVER. I don't consider my post an exaggeration by any means and certainly didn't disrespect Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Michael Westbrook, Maya Moore, any other player on UCONN, the Celtics, the Bulls, the GSW, OKC or Superman. What part of my post made you think I implied she went out there and did it herself and without the help of her teammates? After reading your other posts you seem to think "so many people" are saying she is one of the greatest to wear a UCONN uniform. Take it for what it was..... she had a tremendous game and people are acknowledging that and nothing more. Embrace it, let yourself go, enjoy the moment, feel the love and have a blessed day. :)
I'm prone to take things literally and am probably a bit over the top. I should take a chill pill (or two) because why wouldn't there be so many people here enthused about how Gabby played, how Napheesa played, how solid and steady Saniya is and I somehow get myself to neutralizing some of this great enthusiasm. Maybe I should change my name from Buzzyboy to Doctor Killjoy! I'll try and improve my outlook but I hope you and the other Boneyarders know that I love this program and these girls and this staff and what a legacy they have created in Storrs Connecticut. In any case, GO HUSKIES!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maya has a longer reach, I believe.

I think her father said, as she was rehabbing from her second knee surgery, that things were going well and she was able to dunk softballs. I'm not sure if she can dunk basketballs or not, but she certainly is close. She played ABOVE the rim last night. My favorite aspect of her vertical is the quickness. She gets off the floor faster than other players. She's exactly like the toy Tigger on springs.
Absolutely, she is incredibly quick to elevate. It is one of the reasons she can guard in the post. Balls that would clear other players don't get past her quickness and elevation. The window with Gabby is incredibly small, too high or too quick and the other player can't reach it either too low Gabby has it, too slow and and rotational help is there. She is an amazing athlete.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
but if the losing coach only mentions "Gabby Williams" that not enough, that coach is classless and doesn't show good sportsmanship lol what a joke some people can be.

I also enjoyed Chong's performance... the assist and crashing the O-Boards. Turner was even considered a dirty for coming down on Saniya's nose smh

Reaction Score
GABBY, just think!!!! If Gabby was an average high school BB player, what did Geno & staff see to recruit her. I believe this is the GENIUS of GENO.
She is joy to see playing BB.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wonderful game by Williams last night. Seems like somebody different every night. Williams turn last night.

Being a world class athlete (not just a college athlete) in an individual sport probably has had some effect on how she approaches self improvement. She knows what it's like to work alone on specific things in order to improve herself.

Great minds! Yesterday I was thinking exactly that and particularly track and field athletes, aided, of course, by the fact that their improvement is mostly capable of empirical measurement.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
GABBY, just think!!!! If Gabby was an average high school BB player, what did Geno & staff see to recruit her. I believe this is the GENIUS of GENO.
One scouting service rated her the #2 prospect. I think everyone had her in the top 20 or so, even though she missed most of her junior and senior years due to 2 leg injuries.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

While I would not disagree the Geno is a genius, I do think that it was not that great a leap to see how Gabby could help our team. Since UConn was already stacked with offensive talent, a world class athlete with world class motivation and a team first attitude can provide incredible benefits both on the court defensively and during practice. In a moment of candor, I am sure he would say he was not sure she could ultimately grow her offensive game to the levels we see today.

I think it was an easy decision helped with the fact that all her offensive contributions would be gravy.

Reaction Score
gabby.jpg
I was looking for when this picture was taken....here is what i found to be the most likely...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom