Gabby Williams - Local Nevada Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams - Local Nevada Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Philly coach welcome. Philly coach in which league Catholic, Public or other? Q: Was it Geno or CD who had the insight to put Gabby down low? A: It was team need more than anything else and Marissa should get the credit since she works primarily with the post players. I agree with Milford that Gabby is more explosive than Nina Davis and that Nina Davis woould be a great role model to emulate. A better role model though would be a younger Gabby. As a high schooler prior to losing the majority of Junior and Senior years of high school Gabby was the 2nd best player in the cass according to Bret McCormick of All star Girls Report and drew some eye poping ( at least for me) comparisons to Maya and DT. McCormick's twitter exchange can be found here.

The younger Gabby had all the things she is going to be working on this summer so it's just a matter of getting it back not developing it new.

Hello CocoHusky - Good info--thanks! I went to West Catholic, coached CYO basketball in Delaware County (St.Louis in Yeadon), Coached tennis at Bonner for 6 years (when Geno was coaching basketball in the Catholic League) and coached 30 years of track at Bartram HS.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hello CocoHusky - Good info--thanks! I went to West Catholic, coached CYO basketball in Delaware County (St.Louis in Yeadon), Coached tennis at Bonner for 6 years (when Geno was coaching basketball in the Catholic League) and coached 30 years of track at Bartram HS.
Ah. I went to Kenrick-was actually coached by Geno for JV basketball there. One daughter went to Carroll before they were PIAA eligible and dominated the Catholic league. Keep in touch and cover my back occasionally certain people on this board like to bash all things Philly to which I respond that Geno is only on loan, as if Muffet and Dawn Staley .....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Much love and respect to Gabby, but IMO she and Davis are on about the same level as far as vertical leap, and honestly Davis is a bit quicker overall. This is not to say that Gabby is slow - as a matter of fact I've commented (very positively) on her quick defensive feet a number of times, as well as her overall explosiveness of course. I think Gabby has a stronger base and has shown she can root out and 'bang with' substantially bigger players in the post when playing behind them. She gets the edge there.

But Nina Davis is also an elite athlete at the very top of the WCBB curve - like Gabby.
VAMike, sorry I'll sum it up for you real quickly. Nina= Very good maybe even great vertical. Gabby= DOCUMENTED World Class Vertical! No comparison.

Reaction Score
VAMike, sorry I'll sum it up for you real quickly. Nina= Very good maybe even great vertical. Gabby= DOCUMENTED World Class Vertical! No comparison.
Coco I got you covered. I agree about Gabby too. WE know she was in the Olympic trials as a high jumper and she also had the speed/balance/strength to be a national class hurdler. It looked to me she was holding back because of the operations--so we have only seen 80-90% of her gifts. I am super impressed with her touch inside and when she gains back the handle and short jumper--she will be tough to deal with. This is where IMHO Geno pulls ahead of Muffitt; UConn players keep expanding their skills each year. Gabby will be AA as a Junior.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Thanks for summing up. All uncertainty is now removed! :rolleyes:

There used to be a website that chronicled SPARQ ratings and the subscores (including vertical leap) for some notable names. That site is no longer up, but I do clearly recall Brianna Turner's name being on that list and that her vertical was even a bit higher than Lorin Dixon's, which is remarkable because Lorin's vertical (gleaned from another source) was measured at 33.7" during that same SPARQ testing. BT's, then, was measured at 34+, I just don't recall the figure. Armintie Price was also higher than Lorin.

Point being that competing in the high jump is one way, but not the only way, to have your leaping ability documented in some fashion. Another way to establish a pretty good idea is very novel: watch them play basketball! Lol! From what I've seen, Lorin Dixon made eye-popping plays, Gabby makes eye-popping plays, Armintie Price makes eye-popping plays and Nina Davis makes eye-popping plays. I could have told you that Dixon's vertical was in the same league as Gabby's just from watching her play on the floor, and the eyes were in fact correct since I only just a few moments ago found a record of Gabby's vertical, which was measured at 34" around the time she was jumping over bars at ridiculous heights before her ACL. Likewise, when I see Nina Davis play I see her do similar things to LD and Gabby and A. Price on the court, due to her exceptional hops. I'm betting that her vertical is also well over 30". Wouldn't surprise me.

So yes, all things considered, there is a very strong comparison to be made, which in this case is fun because so few players in WCBB are at that rarefied level.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for summing up. All uncertainty is now removed! :rolleyes:

There used to be a website that chronicled SPARQ ratings and the subscores (including vertical leap) for some notable names. That site is no longer up, but I do clearly recall Brianna Turner's name being on that list and that her vertical was even a bit higher than Lorin Dixon's, which is remarkable because Lorin's vertical (gleaned from another source) was measured at 33.7" during that same SPARQ testing. BT's, then, was measured at 34+, I just don't recall the figure. Armintie Price was also higher than Lorin.

Point being that competing in the high jump is one way, but not the only way, to have your leaping ability documented in some fashion. Another way to establish a pretty good idea is very novel: watch them play basketball! Lol! From what I've seen, Lorin Dixon made eye-popping plays, Gabby makes eye-popping plays, Armintie Price makes eye-popping plays and Nina Davis makes eye-popping plays. I could have told you that Dixon's vertical was in the same league as Gabby's just from watching her play on the floor, and the eyes were in fact correct since I only just a few moments ago found a record of Gabby's vertical, which was measured at 34" around the time she was jumping over bars at ridiculous heights before her ACL. Likewise, when I see Nina Davis play I see her do similar things to LD and Gabby and A. Price on the court, due to her exceptional hops. I'm betting that her vertical is also well over 30". Wouldn't surprise me.

So yes, all things considered, there is a very strong comparison to be made, which in this case is fun because so few players in WCBB are at that rarefied level.
Strangely enough on many of your points we have agreement. On the main point (Gabby Vertical =Nina Vertical) probably not. More familiar with Lorin Dixon than Armintie Price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom