Gabby Williams - Local Nevada Article | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams - Local Nevada Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"It was indescribable. It really hasn't set in," Williams said of winning the national championship. "I've been watching (the championship) on TV since I can remember. It was very surreal."

"The crowd was wild. It was a crazy experience. I had goose bumps the whole time," she said. "For every little thing, the crowd was cheering."

Williams, who is studying communication and marketing, plans to return to Sparks after her final exams are over the first week of May and spend about four weeks in Nevada.

Then she'll head back to Storrs, Conn., and help the incoming freshmen prepare to defend the title.

[LINK] to full article

Reaction Score
"It was indescribable. It really hasn't set in," Williams said of winning the national championship. "I've been watching (the championship) on TV since I can remember. It was very surreal."

"The crowd was wild. It was a crazy experience. I had goose bumps the whole time," she said. "For every little thing, the crowd was cheering."

Williams, who is studying communication and marketing, plans to return to Sparks after her final exams are over the first week of May and spend about four weeks in Nevada.

Then she'll head back to Storrs, Conn., and help the incoming freshmen prepare to defend the title.

[LINK] to full article

Java, thanks for the article. She has become one of my favorite players. I think the focus on basketball only will help her as she will improve her game. Not only improving her shooting range and free throws but also ball handling so can be the guard/forward combo player. If she can do that, she could be unstoppable as her athleticism is off the charts. I'm pulling for her.

Reaction Score

[LINK] to full article

Have you learned nothing, you Caveman?
- Geno to Team, Nov. 12 (c.) 2014: "We're not defending anything, we are attacking the rest of the country..."

... and boy did they ever !

["She said working on improving her shooting range, along with her free throws (42 of 91 this season), will be a big focus this summer." Smart kid.]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup, Gabby is one of my favs too! What's not to like about the girl? I agree that her athleticism is off the charts -- so the sky is her limit. I'm glad she's only a frosh (for now).

Reaction Score
Have you learned nothing, you Caveman?
- Geno to Team, Nov. 12 (c.) 2014: "We're not defending anything, we are attacking the rest of the country..."
... and boy did they ever !
["She said working on improving her shooting range, along with her free throws (42 of 91 this season), will be a big focus this summer." Smart kid.]
Oh ...I've learned. I remember Geno's words clearly ...they were brilliant. That line in the article popped right out at me also.

I hope she spends July and August at the free throw line. She should break the monotony though... half free throws and half jump shots. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

[LINK] to full article
Java Man--thanks great story. I love her "girly girl" comment "I had goose bumps the whole time". I loved her this season--now I feel thrilled to just read her comments. Thanks again super great!!

Reaction Score
The tip of the ice berg is right. Take her numbers and double her minutes and she would have averaged 16.6 points and 11.4 rebounds. I know that UConn players usually don't average 31.2 minutes unless it's the tournament, I'm just sayin'.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oh ...I've learned. I remember Geno's words clearly ...they were brilliant. That line in the article popped right out at me also.

I hope she spends July and August at the free throw line. She should break the monotony though... half free throws and half jump shots. :)
And the other half ball handling. Half free throws, half jump shots, and half ball handling. Wait... oh well she will figure it out!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Brian-Fantana-60-of-the-time-it-works-every-time-Anchorman.gif

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby's shooting form is actually very good, her arc is high, and the ball rotation is correct. All of her misses were long. The adjustment should be straightforward.

On this subject, kudos to Kia Nurse. Her FT shooting started out shaky and finished up stellar. She made a fabulous in-season adjustment despite the freshman wall.

HGN

Reaction Score
Java, thanks for posting the Gabby article........Looks like Geno and the Huskies have a winner in her. She gets it. She understands the sacrifices that have to be made in order to stay on top. I like the fact that she will be heading back to Storrs after taking about a month off and working on her game and with the incoming Freshmen. Hopefully Courtney will also come back to Storrs early as well. Nurse will be in Canada working with the Canadian National Team.

Gabby also states she enjoyed the FF and winning the NC.....Lets hope she wants to win another one.

Reaction Score
And the other half ball handling. Half free throws, half jump shots, and half ball handling. Wait... oh well she will figure it out!
Cute! Was that a Casey Stengel or Yogi????

Reaction Score
Was it Geno or CD who had the insight to put Gabby down low? She was smooth and quick with some advanced inside moves. As she said, it was all new to her. What a quick learner. She should watch film of Baylor's Nina Davis and imitate. IMO Gabby has equal to or greater than athletic talent and inside moves. Davis is an AA so maybe Gabby can match that in a year or two.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Was it Geno or CD who had the insight to put Gabby down low? She was smooth and quick with some advanced inside moves. As she said, it was all new to her. What a quick learner. She should watch film of Baylor's Nina Davis and imitate. IMO Gabby has equal to or greater than athletic talent and inside moves. Davis is an AA so maybe Gabby can match that in a year or two.
Nina Davis is not as explosive or strong as Gabby, but she's crafty and plays extremely hard. I like the idea of having Gabby study her.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Some of Gabby's drives to the hoop remind me of Maya, when she was convinced to get to the paint and not sit out and take jumpers. Imagine what Geno and CD will be able to do with Gabby for three more years, as she's already comfortable in the paint.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Philly coach welcome. Philly coach in which league Catholic, Public or other? Q: Was it Geno or CD who had the insight to put Gabby down low? A: It was team need more than anything else and Marissa should get the credit since she works primarily with the post players. I agree with Milford that Gabby is more explosive than Nina Davis and that Nina Davis woould be a great role model to emulate. A better role model though would be a younger Gabby. As a high schooler prior to losing the majority of Junior and Senior years of high school Gabby was the 2nd best player in the cass according to Bret McCormick of All star Girls Report and drew some eye poping ( at least for me) comparisons to Maya and DT. McCormick's twitter exchange can be found here.

The younger Gabby had all the things she is going to be working on this summer so it's just a matter of getting it back not developing it new.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

This reminds me of a parody made of Tedi Bruschi's return to football after his stroke. The connection to what Eric wrote is at the 1:56 minute mark.

Truth in advertising here. My son-in-law is from Buffalo. A friend of his made this video in response to what he felt was over the top praise on the part of announcers when Bruschi first played the Bills after his comeback.

Personally, I loved Bruschi as a player and respect him a great deal, but I also think the parody was cleverly done.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Nina Davis is not as explosive or strong as Gabby

Much love and respect to Gabby, but IMO she and Davis are on about the same level as far as vertical leap, and honestly Davis is a bit quicker overall. This is not to say that Gabby is slow - as a matter of fact I've commented (very positively) on her quick defensive feet a number of times, as well as her overall explosiveness of course. I think Gabby has a stronger base and has shown she can root out and 'bang with' substantially bigger players in the post when playing behind them. She gets the edge there.

But Nina Davis is also an elite athlete at the very top of the WCBB curve - like Gabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom