Gabby continues to impress | The Boneyard

Gabby continues to impress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just love the energy she brings off the bench. Her athleticism is so evident with the way she elevates on her shots.
What is so positively surprising to me, though, is the way that it seems she never misses when she goes up for a shot in and around the paint. Contested, uncontested, it just doesn't matter. Bunnies are automatic. And the more difficult shots always seem to go in, too. Where I often groan when the other bigs miss chippies, Gabby never dissapoints.

What a bright future for her!

Reaction Score
She has scary quick elevation. I like the fact that she finishes. I can only
imagine how good she is going to get. Our own version of Nina Davis.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Gabby, Kiah, and Saniya, all brought quality to the basketball game this afternoon: 22 points combined on 9-10 shooting, 13 rebounds, five assists against a not-too-terrible four turnovers, and nine blocks. Good production off the bench, production that complements the uber-talented, well-rounded starting lineup.

Reaction Score
What impresses me most about Gabby is her persistence in attacking the basket even when her initial shot attempt is blocked. At 5'11" she is undersized in the post even with her Spiderman like ability to elevate. When her shot is blocked, she attacks the basket with even greater ferocity. When her range increases to the foul line, she will indeed have become the reincarnation of Kalana Green.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't think there's a good comparison for Williams. She's incredibly unique. There are quality post players who have played inside for years that don't have the moves and skills she does, and she's barely played there.

Reaction Score
Barring injury (perish the thought!), there is very little over the next 3+ years that potentially offers us fans as much entertainment value as watching Gabby's development. In a way, I'm almost glad for the occasional Freshman lapses to which others correctly refer, just because they will provide contrast to the greater moments yet to come. She instinctively understands where the ball is supposed to wind up, and just keeps getting better at putting it there! Before her career ends, she is destined to be one of the great ones!

Reaction Score
Gabby is one huge talent, AA in a couple of years. UConn seems to have a solid 8-player rotation with Gabby, Saniya, and Kiah coming off the bench. Given the Huskies spectacular starting five, it's hard to see this team losing another game this year.

Reaction Score
Gabby is a type of player that we rarely see at UConn. She is very raw because of her long absence from the game, but makes up for it with both athleticism and a good work ethic.

In a way, she reminds me of an athletic breed of puppy; eager, yet at times a bit clumsy. Even her mistakes rarely cause one to get frustrated at her; it's more like, "Aww, so funny/endearing!" ;)

A few games back she had two endearing 'oops' moments that made me chuckle. First she elevated for a spectacular-looking alley-oop catch from an inbounds play. Sadly the ball came two feet short of the hoop. Later on she had a head-to-head collision with an opposing team's player while they were going for a loose ball. Gabby hardly looked affected at all and was able to get the ball; the other player was laid out on the ground for a minute. That last one probably gave Geno some "hardheaded" quips to use at practice. :D

In summary, Gabby is not perfect, but she is never boring. And the potential is still only partially tapped.

Reaction Score
Gabby is playing off her natural athletic ability! As Geno says, "when she learns how to play BB she'll be scary!"
If she can remain injury free through 4 years at UCONN I hope she takes the HJ back up and tries for the USA Olympic team, she'll be able to go over her 6' jumps previously and place at the Olympics!

Reaction Score
She already knows how to play basketball. When you have the ball you throw it into the round thing with the net hanging from it, or you somehow throw the ball to somebody else to do it. If someone on the other team misses a shot you jump up high and grab the ball before someone else does. Or if someone on the other team has the ball you take it away from them. Not a very complicated game for her.

Reaction Score
I love watching the effort she puts in at a position that is foreign to her. She mentioned in her interview with Debbie on the radio yesterday that she really misses playing the guard position, but will play wherever she is needed.

Reaction Score
She may move to the back court next year with the 6'1", 6'2", and 6'3" freshmen coming in. She was even 2 for 3 on free throws!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm hoping she can expand her game - sort of like Barb Turner - an undersized post player who by her senior year was able to step out and drain the 3 (I think she hit her most famous one in a very close game in the NCAA's vs. Georgia to give UCONN the win).

In fact if I had to compare Gabby to anyone, it would be Turner - similar size, similar strength and athleticism, and both started as freshmen in the post. By the way, in that Georgia game, Turner had 31 points in a heroic effort. I think Gabby has that kind of upside, and almost unlimited potential...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm hoping she can expand her game - sort of like Barb Turner - an undersized post player who by her senior year was able to step out and drain the 3 (I think she hit her most famous one in a very close game in the NCAA's vs. Georgia to give UCONN the win).

In fact if I had to compare Gabby to anyone, it would be Turner - similar size, similar strength and athleticism, and both started as freshmen in the post. By the way, in that Georgia game, Turner had 31 points in a heroic effort. I think Gabby has that kind of upside, and almost unlimited potential...
Not to mention Kalana Greene and Kelly Faris, who had much of the same skill set. But neither they nor Turner had Gabby's scoring touch (Turner might have been close). Gabby has the potential to be the best of the four.

I do think it is almost a necessity that she be repositioned to the backcourt next year, just to balance what would otherwise be a drastically front-court-heavy roster. And I don't think she will mind. She will benefit in that role from this year's experience, and will be one of the best rebounding guards in the history of UConn basketball. It sounds as if Geno is working on tuning up her jump shot, which is a skill that we really haven't seen much in games. She will need that to play in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
Love her tools. Off the floor sooooo quickly, soooo fluid, going by people and never looking like she is exerting herself. No quit, great motor. Some goofy passes, but that is a freshman thing. She is gonna be special. Sorry for restating the obious, but we are only seeing the tip of the iceburg.

Reaction Score
She's doing a great job! This coming from me,, i plays more like a guard myself, but plays in the post.

Reaction Score
Gabby is playing off her natural athletic ability! As Geno says, "when she learns how to play BB she'll be scary!"
If she can remain injury free through 4 years at UCONN I hope she takes the HJ back up and tries for the USA Olympic team, she'll be able to go over her 6' jumps previously and place at the Olympics!
I think she jumped 6'2". Women's world record is 2.09 meters, which is roughly 6' 10-1/4". But no one has jumped this high in 28 years. The world record holder (Stefka Kostadinova) was also 5'11".

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I love her attitude when she comes into the game. She's all business, very focused and ready to play. She's high energy from her very first second in the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

That's a reasonable comparison. Barb was a warrior and very effective for her size. I think BTX was built like a rock. Gabby may be slightly taller and a much better leaper. I think she has upside to surpass Barb, who was quite good. Unlike Diana, who struggled against ND, Barb was an Irish killer. I hope Gabby kills everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom