FT shoooting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FT shoooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse came into tonight's game vs ND hitting 92.3% from the stripe (22-24). Maybe she can work with the guys...

Maybe Collier could show Enoch how to hit open shots in the paint.

Reaction Score
Never seen a UConn team with so many poor foul shooters. Dre FT shooting would have not even been noticed in this group. LOL
Seriously, it tells me two things - we don't have an assistant coach who is really working effectively with guys on this - and guys are not putting the time in. Again our goal is to win, too often the casual fan is bragging about perfect NCAA APRs - I rather be bragging about perfect FT shooting.

Chief - really enjoy reading your analysis of each game. Just wanted to point out however that in the early part of last decade, our FT shooting was quite unbearable to watch, and I remember thinking the same thing, how would it not get better. I had to look to it up tho and there was one year the team shot 62% from the stripe, good enough for 312th. That happened to be 03-04...

Of course this falls after the days where Rip Hamilton and Albert Mouring hit damn near 90%. Mourning may have only missed 30 over his career.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Chief - really enjoy reading your analysis of each game. Just wanted to point out however that in the early part of last decade, our FT shooting was quite unbearable to watch, and I remember thinking the same thing, how would it not get better. I had to look to it up tho and there was one year the team shot 62% from the stripe, good enough for 312th. That happened to be 03-04...

Of course this falls after the days where Rip Hamilton and Albert Mouring hit damn near 90%. Mourning may have only missed 30 over his career.
I'm surprised more people didn't recall this.

This team started with a kick to the gut and the players are approaching the line with fear. Hopefully they can win a few more games in the near future, begin to become more confident in themselves, put less pressure on themselves and elevate the averages.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

I tried to shoot like Albie when I was kid. One of the best strokes I've seen

Reaction Score
Guards who miss a lot of free throws is usually because of mental weakness. Adam's free throw percentages this year are confusing. I think we will see it rise throughout the year. Purvis is what he is in that regard.

Reaction Score

Okafor shot terrible from the line that year. He brought the team average way down with his 6 attempts per game, although he wasn't alone in struggling (Taliek and Boone were bad, too).

C

Chief00

That was mostly Okafor and Josh. Like Calhoun has said, team foul shooting is often who goes to the line. But this year it's hard to pick that guy.

C

Chief00

Okafor shot terrible from the line that year. He brought the team average way down with his 6 attempts per game, although he wasn't alone in struggling (Taliek and Boone were bad, too).
True - I forgot about Taliek.

Reaction Score
Overlooked point. When everyone is playing 30+ minutes it's tough to have good form at the end of the game
I'm not buying that excuse. They're poor freethrow shooters all the time, not just at the end of games or when they're tired. Plus there are tons of examples college players who play 30 plus minutes and are solid freethrow shooters down the stretch. Also, we may be a few scholarship players short but we use 8 players. Most college teams have a rotation 8 or MAYBE 9 players. They don't all suck at shooting freethrows.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brimah, for some inane reason, chose to change his 82% stroke to one that eliminates his left hand. Physics alone would tell you that removing that left hand also reduces the balance of the shot. He probably had a lot of success in the gym but once the adrenaline flows and the body tires the form breaks down.

Reaction Score
Yeah, well...

Vital 68.8%
Jackson 66.7%
Purvis 66.7%
Adams 62.1%
Facey 61.5%
Brimah 50.0%
Enoch 44.4%
Durham n/a

There are no Napiers in that group. And JA is the guy we'd expect to go to the line most often.

fwiw, Gilbert was 70% and Larrier 61.5%.
Those are awful numbers especially Adams because he has the ball in his hands a lot. Have a feeling we will be better by the end of the season but right now they remind me of some past Syracuse teams.

Reaction Score
Brimah, for some inane reason, chose to change his 82% stroke to one that eliminates his left hand. Physics alone would tell you that removing that left hand also reduces the balance of the shot. He probably had a lot of success in the gym but once the adrenaline flows and the body tires the form breaks down.

He always took the left hand off the ball, but it's really exaggerated this year.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Nothing gets me more mad than guards missing a lot of FT's. Especially "shooters". Vital, Adams, Jackson, Purvis etc should be shooting over 80% no matter what. This isn't pickup. Brimah is a moron for changing something that was working.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Brimah looks so robotic at the stripe. Could be that he added too much muscle and lost flexibility. Could be that he stopped working on FTs because it was a strength. Either way both those things should work their way out as the season goes on​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom