FSU and Clemson to Big XII?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
b12 will go for a home run imo.

tex/tt/ok/okst/kan/kst/ist/byu
tcu/bay/wvu/lville/fsu/clem/gt or miami or cincy(2 of the 3)

Reaction Score
And people tell me I'm nuts? If I was them, I'd bolt for the greener pastures.

Reaction Score
http://www.leatherhelmetblog.com/2012-articles/february/big-12-waiting-on-clemson-and-fsu.html

Doubt they'll go and so, according to this article, Louisville will be with us at least through this summer. Rutgers football news' account on twitter postulates that if the ACC pair move, UConn and Rutgers would get into the ACC by summer.
Why wouldn't they go? If the article is correct, FSU and Clemson would be doubling their revenue and that's AFTER the TV revenue increase as a result of Cuse and Pitt joining.
If those TV revenue projections are in fact correct for the Big XII, I would be suprised if they did not go. Then we wouldn't have to worry about FSU not wanting us in due to our football shortcomings.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That would seem to be the best case scenario for UConn.

W0rse Case: The ACC loses it's two best football programs and further weakens the ACC brand.
Best Case: Rutgers and UConn are there to become members 13 and 14 playing essentially what would be the old Big East + Carolinas, Virginias and Maryland.

Reaction Score
It wasnt that long ago that the Big 12 had all the drama and almost collapsed. Longhorn network and the favoritism of Texas still has to be in the air over there. Curious how these moves would look in a few years

Reaction Score
Payback is a b*tch. The ACC being the raided instead of the raider would be sweet justice. My only qualm is that the Thunder Chickens would get their wish & the replacements would be Snooki & the Leprechauns while effectively shutting out the Huskies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This thread pleases me and is relevant to my interests.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I don't blame WV for jumping to B12, although I wish they'd be a more adult about how they handle themselves. I would not blame the Ville either. But I remain adamant that the B12 is a dead man walking. TX is the 800 lb elephant in the room, and they will continue to put themselves above the conference. All the while, OU continues to pine for the days when they regularly see the Pacific Ocean. OSU is tied to OU; TTU to TX. The Pac12 is not staying at 12, period and they have limited places to turn. TX will eventually try to play off the Pac12,BIG and SEC against each other in search of a sweetheart deal. They might even try to go independent. But they will continue to play with their conference mates for only as long as they are allowed to live by different rules - they are to the B12 what ND is to the BE, a royal pain in the arse who sets its own terms. The B12 is the midwest version of the BE - they are mere hunting grounds for other conferences. The only difference is that they have bigger names in their conference, for the moment. IMO by the time the toothless hillbillies from coal country learn how to spell B12, they'll realize they found fool's gold and that the water of plenty Oliver sold them on was merely a mirage. AND NO WAY IN HELL DO FSU OR CLEMSON jump on that sinking ship - they would go to the SEC in a heartbeat; they are not B12 bound, period.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Despite the money differential, I'd have to think Clemson and FSU see themselves as more successful programs (W-L) if they stay in a weaker conference. Adding 4-6 losses per year if they run to the Big12, even if it survives is a risky endeavour. MOe money/more losses. WHich way do they go?

For all our pouting about the NBE, we have a chance to finish near the top if our program contiues its trajectory - same is we move to the ACC. Big10 or 12 I think we'd really struggle to be .500.

Reaction Score
I think everybody needs to drop this knee jerk reaction of wanting to go to the ACC. What really makes you think the ACC is better than the Big East moving forward? Seriously? It's not. The only reason the ACC would be an attractive home for UConn athletics is if the Big East conference stops doing business. There's a very powerful force out there in intercollegiate athletics, that doesn't want the Big East to go away. N.D.

Notre Dame is not going to the ACC. The only way Notre Dame ever joins a conference,any conference, in football, happens for one of two reasons. The creation of a national playoff system for a national champion that is based entirely on conference champions (and it would be so freaking easy to put it in place, if not for all the money that flows through the current BCS system). and #2, if the Big East conference fails to provide a home foe all of the other sports that Notre Dame needs to field, to maintain division 1-A status as a football program.

If the Big East conference stops playing football as a 1-A conference, and the 1-A teams all go elsewhere, Notre Dame would be forced to find another home for their sports, or go back to the headaches that drove Penn State and Miami to the Big East conference so many years ago. PSU didn't get in, Miami did. Notre Dame, 4 years after Miami, manged to join the Big East, but keep football separate with an individual broadcasting contract with NBC and bulding an individual relationship with the BCS.

Notre Dame, clearly, being in position they are with the Big East, is not going to let the Big East conference fail.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'd take the ACC over the new BE going forward every day and twice on Sunday. It pains me to say that because I don't like the way the ACC has been allowed to punk the BE but it's not even close. The new BE is a crumbling house with a fresh coat of paint.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'd take the ACC over the new BE going forward every day and twice on Sunday. It pains me to say that because I don't like the way the ACC has been allowed to punk the BE but it's not even close. The new BE is a crumbling house with a fresh coat of paint.

Not only this, but basketball is still kinda important to UConn. The ACC fits us better in BB and brings better games in all sports back to CT.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I think everybody needs to drop this knee jerk reaction of wanting to go to the ACC. What really makes you think the ACC is better than the Big East moving forward? Seriously? It's not. The only reason the ACC would be an attractive home for UConn athletics is if the Big East conference stops doing business. There's a very powerful force out there in intercollegiate athletics, that doesn't want the Big East to go away. N.D.

Notre Dame is not going to the ACC. The only way Notre Dame ever joins a conference,any conference, in football, happens for one of two reasons. The creation of a national playoff system for a national champion that is based entirely on conference champions (and it would be so freaking easy to put it in place, if not for all the money that flows through the current BCS system). and #2, if the Big East conference fails to provide a home foe all of the other sports that Notre Dame needs to field, to maintain division 1-A status as a football program.

If the Big East conference stops playing football as a 1-A conference, and the 1-A teams all go elsewhere, Notre Dame would be forced to find another home for their sports, or go back to the headaches that drove Penn State and Miami to the Big East conference so many years ago. PSU didn't get in, Miami did. Notre Dame, 4 years after Miami, manged to join the Big East, but keep football separate with an individual broadcasting contract with NBC and bulding an individual relationship with the BCS.

Notre Dame, clearly, being in position they are with the Big East, is not going to let the Big East conference fail.

1. Because it consists of institutions with whom we have more in common,

2. In a much more compact and sensible geographic area,

3. Who play in front of bigger crowds,

4. Are better in basketball, and

5. Make more money?

Other than that, why would I prefer to be in the ACC? I guess I wouldn't.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
1. Because it consists of institutions with whom we have more in common,

2. In a much more compact and sensible geographic area,

3. Who play in front of bigger crowds,

4. Are better in basketball, and

5. Make more money?

Other than that, why would I prefer to be in the ACC? I guess I wouldn't.

This. You put it much more succinctly than I could have.

Reaction Score
Payback is a b*tch. The ACC being the raided instead of the raider would be sweet justice. My only qualm is that the Thunder Chickens would get their wish & the replacements would be Snooki & the Leprechauns while effectively shutting out the Huskies.

I'm more worried about USF than UND. If others see value in a Florida presence then they may be willing to heed the objections of BCU.

If there's going to be one more round of expansion, it's our last shot -- it's either get picked up or accept being minor league forever. The stakes aren't high at all . . . .

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Because the ACC has become the Big East. The Big East has become CUSA. We've been demoted except the name hasn't changed.

Reaction Score
If FSU and Clemson go to the Big XII...why should be leave for the ACC? In that scenaro the Big East could become the hunter instead of the hunted.

Reaction Score
If FSU and Clemson go to the Big XII...why should be leave for the ACC? In that scenaro the Big East could become the hunter instead of the hunted.

Not a chance in hell that any team leave even the depleted ACC for the Big whatever-you-want-to-call-it. None. Zero.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Because the ACC has become the Big East. The Big East has become CUSA. We've been demoted except the name hasn't changed.
Not really. Our Rankings with Boise and Houston and SMU in football make the NBE a better conference and possibly better for our recruiting. The only thng better about being in the ACC is playing UNC, Duke and Maryland. Who thinks Clemson and Wake, VTU and GT would be better to play than Boise UCF SMU Navy and Houston (screw Memphis). Basically not world class games but not much different from most of what the ACC offers for most of it's games. And the ACC is so bottom heavy in bball that the NBE is still going to be better - and adding Memphis in BBall for WVU or Pitt makes us almost as good as before the fall. ACC will still be hugely top heavy with 3 or 4 teams and lots of crappy ones.

Reaction Score
I wish more people would study history. This confusion and hysteria is all based on big east basketball nostalgia. what you should be focusing on,if that's what you're upset about now in 2012, is finding out why the people in Providence for so long avoided making football a priority. As long as they maintain 1-A football as priority, the big east is going to become quite powerful. Those guys aren't dumb over there, just been misguided in their priorities.

Where did conference USA come from? ANybody wonder that? It came from the Metro Conference, which started breaking up when guess which conference was involved in taking a program? It started when Georgia Tech joined the ACC.

In 1990, before big east football happened - guess what the proposed "super conference" of 1-A football programs looked like?

THis is what it looked like:

North:
Boston College, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Cincinatti, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Syracuse, Temple.

South:
Miami, Florida State (yup, that same FSU), Louisville, Memphis, Miami, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Tulane

That is for real folks. Mike Tranghese was right, when he said that intercollegiate athletics has changed dramatically since 1990. He was completely wrong about everythign else.

In the past 20 years, the BCS streams of revenue and the involvement of ESPN media has greatly changed the public perception of 1-A football.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Drumguy, think academics. Boise, Houston - good football, Memphis - good bball, but all are below the academic standard of Pitt / Cuse and below what would be our peer institutions academically in the ACC. It may not factor into what the fans of the athletic department wants, but it factors into what Herbst and the trustees are thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom