FS1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is 90M the absolute max number? Was Speed on every single cable/satellite provider?

Not being a smartarse here, just asking honest questions.

Just about. It's not easy to find but 103 million total household seems to be the number. A while back I saw TNT or TBS or USA led with like 97 million.

Reaction Score
How many of those contracts will jump from the .23 they pay now, to .80 (or more) Fox wants, when the renegotiations begin? That will be an interesting thing to watch.

It will all depend on how the ratings are. The MSOs are hoping they only raise marginally so they can keep the carriage cost down. Meanwhile Fox will be looking for upward trending with a significant jump by year 3 or so giving themselves an argument at the negotiating table.

Reaction Score
Who knows - Fox will have a lot more leverage in a few years compared to now though, so that should help matters quite a bit. When they need to renegotiate in a few years they'll have added MLB, NASCAR, FIFA, and golf...and a chunk of Big Ten's T1 content. Not world beaters to be sure, but a lot more compelling than their current lineup.

You hit the nail on the head with that one word...content. That is why ESPN can get 5.00 per month currently.

As FS1 acquire that new content, and have to pay for it, the price goes up. With everything you listed as coming to the network within the next 1-2 years, .80 per month would be a bargain. But, they'll be looking to go a lot higher at that time. And thats without even considering what FS2 will have.

Reaction Score
Just about. It's not easy to find but 103 million total household seems to be the number. A while back I saw TNT or TBS or USA led with like 97 million.

Thanks. Having 90M households at its launch was a crazy good number.

Reaction Score
It will all depend on how the ratings are. The MSOs are hoping they only raise marginally so they can keep the carriage cost down. Meanwhile Fox will be looking for upward trending with a significant jump by year 3 or so giving themselves an argument at the negotiating table.

Good point. The negotiations in 2016 or 2017 could be a bit contentious, if they get the ratings I believe that they will.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good point. The negotiations in 2016 or 2017 could be a bit contentious, if they get the ratings I believe that they will.

Just watch Time Warner and CBS. TW has gone to war - we'll see who blinks as the NFL season starts. There is no way the BTN is going to beat the NYC cable systems unless Jeremy Lin enrolls at Michigan.

Reaction Score
Just watch Time Warner and CBS. TW has gone to war - we'll see who blinks as the NFL season starts. There is no way the BTN is going to beat the NYC cable systems unless Jeremy Lin enrolls at Michigan.

Nobody talks about this but what happens when FOX forces the BTN with YES? Taking YES away will piss off a lot of Yankee fans

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody talks about this but what happens when FOX forces the BTN with YES? Taking YES away will piss off a lot of Yankee fans

I've mentioned it a half dozen times that the BTN thinks they have leverage because of YES. I think in this very thread I said Delany needs the Yankees ratings to improve because pre A-Rod drama they were in the toilet. It wasn't a coincidence when they had him on this season.

Reaction Score

Could backfire on Fox when the cable companies explain that YES wants each Yankee fan to pony up $1 more a month to watch B1G football and basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Could backfire on Fox when the cable companies explain that YES wants each Yankee fan to pony up $1 more a month to watch B1G football and basketball.

This is the one topic that upstater and I agree on. The battles in NY have been epic for MSG and NFL Network. And they have way more important programming than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
This is the one topic that upstater and I agree on. The battles in NY have been epic for MSG and NFL Network. And they have way more important programming than Rutgers.

I agree with you about the battles they have had over MSG & NFL but there are a lot more Yankee fans than Ranger & Knicks fans. Yankee ratings have sucked this year because the team has sucked. If they stay on the recent roll they are on I think the ratings will spike

I think The B1G is also counting on the Michigan, OSU, PSU etc. alumns to drive this as much or more than Rutgers fans/alumns

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree with you about the battles they have had over MSG & NFL but there are a lot more Yankee fans than Ranger & Knicks fans. Yankee ratings have sucked this year because the team has sucked. If they stay on the recent roll they are on I think the ratings will spike

I think The B1G is also counting on the Michigan, OSU, PSU etc. alumns to drive this as much or more than Rutgers fans/alumns

When the BTN negotiation rolls around the Yankees are going to be terrible.

Penn State hasn't gotten the money for the BTN in eastern PA. Forget NYC.

Reaction Score

TW has been pretty blunt about their POVs on this.

Reaction Score

Those Yankee fans have to be rabid enough to say, of course we'll pay $1 more a month, put the Yankees on!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How hard is the climb.

Crowd goes wild, which I haven't seen but seems terrible had an audience yesterday of..... 29k. Which makes NBCS giggle.

Reaction Score
Been watching NBC SN this morning doing Premier League games. I have to say, it's a big upgrade over Fox. Was a pleasure to watch. A lot of cameras following right behind players doing footwork in the corners. Never saw that with Fox.

It makes me think that Fox committed a colossal error when it allowed itself to be outbid on the Premier League. FS1 would've gotten a lot more credibility.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NBC has gotten a lot of buzz from the EPL. I'm curious to see if it sticks a few weeks from now once Saturday morning provides real completion.

Reaction Score
NBC has gotten a lot of buzz from the EPL. I'm curious to see if it sticks a few weeks from now once Saturday morning provides real completion.

One neat thing about the EPL when it comes to people with families like myself who aren't out every Friday night is that we have Saturday morning get togethers at a local soccer bar here, and the people are already drinking beer by 7 am. I don't arrive until 10. It is a cool thing for the guys to get together for that. We may gather in my living room now with NBC SN, but with kids around, don't think it will be the same.

I think NBC has a really good thing going with this.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's nice not having to drive to New Haven because Liverpool's game is only on Fox Soccer Plus. NBC has done a great job so far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One neat thing about the EPL when it comes to people with families like myself who aren't out every Friday night is that we have Saturday morning get togethers at a local soccer bar here, and the people are already drinking beer by 7 am. I don't arrive until 10. It is a cool thing for the guys to get together for that. We may gather in my living room now with NBC SN, but with kids around, don't think it will be the same.

I think NBC has a really good thing going with this.

I agree that NBC seems to have some momentum on this. Anyone have any numbers?

I actually bet a bunch of EPL games today. Took the big dogs and the 0-0 games killed me.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Awesome job by NBC. Well, maybe I would have been better off not watching that desultory Newcastle v West Ham match...

Anyways, Uverse has four Alt channels that broadcast NBC's EPL games on Saturday.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I caught a good amount of Sunday's coverage. NBCS is doing an incredible job. Their coverage is actually so good I look forward to seeing more. I'm not even really a club soccer fan.

Reaction Score
I caught a good amount of Sunday's coverage. NBCS is doing an incredible job. Their coverage is actually so good I look forward to seeing more. I'm not even really a club soccer fan.

They did show the wrong game though, by featuring Tottenham and Swansea. I can't blame them since Swansea has a lot more talent on the field than Cardiff. This would be the equivalent of featuring a Michigan State versus Virginia game rather than a Michigan versus Appalachian State game on the day Appalachian State upset Michigan.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the EPL coverage is any indication, the AAC missed the boat in allowing ESPN to match.

I know ESPN had the right to match. They could have worked out contract language to prevent that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If the EPL coverage is any indication, the AAC missed the boat in allowing ESPN to match.

I know ESPN had the right to match. They could have worked out contract language to prevent that.
Six years from now and things will be very different for the AAC if they can produce on the field and in the stadiums. And for those football guys who don't follow bb SMU got a top ten high school bb recruit and took him away from Kentucky.

Man do I want UConn to beat Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers and Louisville in football this season and the men's bb team to get to the sweet sixteen or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom