FS1 | The Boneyard

FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bad outcome for the ESPN haters? Fox wanted 80 cents for FS1 and pretty much got 23.

Reaction Score
I think this reinforces something I've been saying.

Fox and the BTN are out of their minds if they think they're infiltrating NYC. !

It's a coup that SNY got CT to pay $2.XX. But if PSU can't get BTN on E. Pa. cable, it's not going to happen in NYC either.

Reaction Score
ESPN is the National Enquirer...of National Enquirers. Gold standard. We have to be going to a P5 conference if ESPN was playing UConn games in it's early days.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think this reinforces something I've been saying.

Fox and the BTN are out of their minds if they think they're infiltrating NYC. !

It's a coup that SNY got CT to pay $2.XX. But if PSU can't get BTN on E. Pa. cable, it's not going to happen in NYC either.
What's the difference? BTN wasn't offering UConn sports. Of course there are ways that they can fix that shortcoming.;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BTN does have the YES leverage - but it's going to be a war. Delany needs the Yankees to turn things around their ratings are way down.

Reaction Score
FS1 (and 2) launch tomorrow (8/17), if anyone cares.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I wonder if the revenue projections being so off impact the contract signed with the new BE? I haven't seen anything but guesstimates as to what the schools are actually getting.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the revenue projections being so off impact the contract signed with the new BE? I haven't seen anything but guesstimates as to what the schools are actually getting.

LOL, Fox is going to take it in the shorts on that one. No one over there bothered to notice that the football schools were carrying the conference.

Reaction Score
From what I understand, there was essentially no deal made on FS1 and basically all providers that had a deal for Speed will be getting "upgraded" for free except for Comcast which signed a long term deal already.

It makes sense - FS1 won't be getting that much in terms premium programming until next year when they start getting some pro sports on there. Until then it's basically a rebranded Speed + some Big 12 / Pac 12 games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From what I understand, there was essentially no deal made on FS1 and basically all providers that had a deal for Speed will be getting "upgraded" for free except for Comcast which signed a long term deal already.

It makes sense - FS1 won't be getting that much in terms premium programming until next year when they start getting some pro sports on there. Until then it's basically a rebranded Speed + some Big 12 / Pac 12 games.

The reality is that ESPN gets 23x more revenue per subscriber. How is Fox getting something like the NBA chasing a company that gets 6 billion a month in subscriber fees?

Going after Sportscenter is a fool's errand. Those shows are already dead men walking. Sportcenter's ratings aren't just down because the show sucks. By the time Fox can out-ESPN the entire model will have shifted again - they are too late to the game to mimic.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Anyone know what channel FS1 will be on Cox? Can't find it in my HD or non HD guide. I'm not losing sleep over it as I'm enjoying some EPL on NBCSN

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Anyone know what channel FS1 will be on Cox? Can't find it in my HD or non HD guide. I'm not losing sleep over it as I'm enjoying some EPL on NBCSN

Me too! Ironically, the whole reason FOX decided to launch FS1 is because FOX Soccer lost EPL to NBC.

Reaction Score

85 regular/1085 HD

Reaction Score
Inresting note on Fox.
When they launched last week it was a front page story in The AZ Republic(the chief Phoenix area newspaper).
Either Fox owns that paper, it was a real slow news day or., Fox has a lot of media juice.

Reaction Score
What FS1 needs now is carriage. Once they have that, they'll begin renegotiating the price they can charge.

It will be interesting to see which companies refuse to budge on the .23 they pay now.

Reaction Score
Fs1 is doing Monday might boxing via golden boy tonight. Anybody remember Tuesday night fights on USA? Those were frigging great. Troy Dorsey vs Kevin Kelly was an,all time great. I think Fs1, should move fight night to Tuesday to not compete with Monday night football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What FS1 needs now is carriage. Once they have that, they'll begin renegotiating the price they can charge.

It will be interesting to see which companies refuse to budge on the .23 they pay now.

Um... they launched with 90 million homes. There is no more carriage to get.

Reaction Score
Bad outcome for the ESPN haters? Fox wanted 80 cents for FS1 and pretty much got 23.
For how long is the $0.23 rate in effect per month? Is that renegotiated every year? 2 years? etc.

Reaction Score
For how long is the $0.23 rate in effect per month? Is that renegotiated every year? 2 years? etc.

Comcast has a long term deal for an unpublicized amount. Everyone else is riding out the speed contract which will be renegotiated when that expires sometime in the next 3 years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Except for Comcast it's their deals for Speed so it probably differs by carrier and they run out at different times.

They need more than they have if they think they are going to improve those deals but I don't know what they think they are getting.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It's one night, but it was a very good night for FS1 on Saturday. UFC will be a big part of FS1 and FS2/Fuel. Granted, this was a big card for a non-broadcast/PPV event, but impressive still.

"FOX Sports 1 on Saturday night out-rated all four major broadcast networks among Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34, Men 18-49, and Men 18-34 based on impressions within each demographic."
"UFC Fight Night 26 posted an average audience of 1.78 million for a 1.38 household rating, according to fast national information released by Nielsen Media Research on Sunday.
UFC Fight Night 26 beat out the eight UFC on FX Fight Night events by 49 percent in rating (1.38 vs. 0.93) and 38 percent in viewership (1.78 million vs. 1.29 million). Among the key advertising demographics, UFC Fight Night 26 against trumped FX’s prime time UFC events by 50 percent in viewership among Men 18-49 (994,000 vs. 663,000) and 44 percent among Men 18-34 (492,000 vs. 342,000).
On the strength of the UFC programming, FOX Sports 1 averaged 1.71 million viewers in the strict 8 to 11 p.m. ET prime time slot, which FOX says was a 10-fold increase compared to the number Speed, FOX Soccer and Fuel TV combined delivered on the comparable night a year ago, which was 141,000 viewers."

Reaction Score
Um... they launched with 90 million homes. There is no more carriage to get.

Is 90M the absolute max number? Was Speed on every single cable/satellite provider?

Not being a smartarse here, just asking honest questions.

Reaction Score
Comcast has a long term deal for an unpublicized amount. Everyone else is riding out the speed contract which will be renegotiated when that expires sometime in the next 3 years.

How many of those contracts will jump from the .23 they pay now, to .80 (or more) Fox wants, when the renegotiations begin? That will be an interesting thing to watch.

Reaction Score
How many of those contracts will jump from the .23 they pay now, to .80 (or more) Fox wants, when the renegotiations begin? That will be an interesting thing to watch.

Who knows - Fox will have a lot more leverage in a few years compared to now though, so that should help matters quite a bit. When they need to renegotiate in a few years they'll have added MLB, NASCAR, FIFA, and golf...and a chunk of Big Ten's T1 content. Not world beaters to be sure, but a lot more compelling than their current lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom