From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join | Page 5 | The Boneyard

From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, but he is too busy trying to surrender to the Germans to notice.

The only thing stranger than Rutgers in the Big 10 is Wischusky and I agreeing 90% of the time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Food for thought and not OT: do we have any games scheduled for 2014, at all? Why not? (25 words or less). Just musing.

Columbus was wrong
the world is actually flat
Rent sails over the edge

Reaction Score
ACC (12)
Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Temple

Duke
Central Florida
Louisville
Memphis
South Florida
Wake Forest

PAC 12 (12)
California
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Washington
Washington State

Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
UCLA
USC
Utah

SEC (14)
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Louisiana State
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Texas A&M

Big 12 (16)
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Iowa State
Miami
North Carolina State
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Christian
Texas Tech

Big 10 (16)
Iowa
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Nebraska
North Carolina
Northwestern

Illinois
Indiana
Penn State
Purdue
Oho State
Rutgers
Virginia
Wisconsin

Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Georgia Tech.

They are a toehold in a huge market.

I went back and looked at some of their television ratings in their DMA. The most watched Georgia game was against Florida and drew a rating of about 18. The most popular Georgia Tech game was against Clemson and drew about a 12.5.

That's very solid and anything but 'zero demand'.

The Big Ten is thinking 30, 40, 50 years out - a presence in the Atlanta market is something worth pursuing.

Fishy, I normally agree w/ most of the stuff you say, but I think you are completely wrong on the Big Ten potentially planning 30, 40, 50 years out. If any of these conferences were making serious projections into the future, I have a feeling that football viewership would not be the major criteria. The demographics are changing and football is not a participant sport for young kids. We shall see what happens with the potential lawsuits that will force the NFL, college, high school to make some drastic changes if it wants to be a major player in sports within 20 years.

If they really were planning that far out in the future, UConn would be a viable option for the Big 10 as the demise of football would theoretically lead to the rise of soccer as a spectator sport in the US (world's #1 sport by a landslide) as well basketball to increase even more in popularity here. Who knows if college soccer would even take off if football started dying, but the demographics are changing pretty rapidly where less and less kids are playing football compared to basketball and soccer. I think you're giving Delaney way too much credit to believe that he is thinking that strategically. If he really wants traction in the #1 market, he needed more than Rutgers to make even a smudge. However, I do agree that the interest in GT is not just a smokescreen and is more than willing to take them along with UVA especially if UNC says no.

Reaction Score
ATL is the 8th biggest TV market in the country.

Try not to use cardinal scales when ordinal and even rational measures are available. Saying something is "8th biggest" imparts relatively little information and can even lead to unjustifiable conclusions. The 8th biggest may be only one larger than 9th but one thousand smaller that 7th. Use the actual size of the market rather than where it ranks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is there a free resource where we can get DMA-specific ratings for games? I'd like to see some UConn stats.

Not that I am aware of, but I'm looking.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Try not to use cardinal scales when ordinal and even rational measures are available. Saying something is "8th biggest" imparts relatively little information and can even lead to unjustifiable conclusions. The 8th biggest may be only one larger than 9th but one thousand smaller that 7th. Use the actual size of the market rather than where it ranks.
This is the 3rd most intelligent post in the history of the boneyard.

Reaction Score
Hypothetically, if the AAU stuff was really so important for the B1G, they'd be pretty desperate right now to beat SEC to the punch. The SEC can invite the very schools the B1G is targeting. But if the B1G can't grab UNC or UVA, they have a bit of a problem.

I also like how that map of the potential B1G skirts Kentucky and ringfences West Virginia.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I asked Warde Manuel the OOC football scheduling situation in 2014/2015 at the Signing Day Event and got a truly bizarre mumbling answer. I didn't ask him for teams, dates or any announcements (as I knew he wouldn't say it one way or another) but he didn't even say if ANY teams were signed sealed and delivered yet.
Hmmn it could be he's hiding our eventual move to the B1G. Of course it could also be that he's a little troubled by the fact he hasn't been able to schedule any games for us.

Reaction Score
Fishy, I normally agree w/ most of the stuff you say, but I think you are completely wrong on the Big Ten potentially planning 30, 40, 50 years out. If any of these conferences were making serious projections into the future, I have a feeling that football viewership would not be the major criteria. The demographics are changing and football is not a participant sport for young kids. We shall see what happens with the potential lawsuits that will force the NFL, college, high school to make some drastic changes if it wants to be a major player in sports within 20 years.

If they really were planning that far out in the future, UConn would be a viable option for the Big 10 as the demise of football would theoretically lead to the rise of soccer as a spectator sport in the US (world's #1 sport by a landslide) as well basketball to increase even more in popularity here. Who knows if college soccer would even take off if football started dying, but the demographics are changing pretty rapidly where less and less kids are playing football compared to basketball and soccer. I think you're giving Delaney way too much credit to believe that he is thinking that strategically. If he really wants traction in the #1 market, he needed more than Rutgers to make even a smudge. However, I do agree that the interest in GT is not just a smokescreen and is more than willing to take them along with UVA especially if UNC says no.
Don't for:get Rollerball,Botball,or some other form of semi-controled violence.
Seriously long range planning is a means of keeping Corporate Types from actully harming the business by giving them something to do. It can't hurt because conditions change so rapidly. Adjusting to the changes is the key to success.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ACC (12)
Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Temple

Duke
Central Florida
Louisville
Memphis
South Florida
Wake Forest

I could live with this but shouldn't be called the Big East? Only Wake and Duke from the ACC.

Reaction Score

The TV market size debate has gone on ad nauseum on the other B1G thread, particularly after the last raid. I'm not trying to get published here but for the sake of discussion here are your numbers.

Rank Designated Market Area (DMA) TV Homes. % of US
1 New York 7,433,820 6.495
2 Los Angeles 5,654,260 4.940
3 Chicago 3,492,850 3.052
4 Philadelphia 2,950,220 2.578
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth 2,489,970 2.175
6 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose 2,476,450 2.164
7 Boston (Manchester) 2,409,080 2.105
8 Atlanta 2,369,780 2.070
9 Washington, DC (Hagrstwn) 2,321,610 2.028
10 Houston 2,106,210 1.840
11 Detroit 1,926,970 1.684
12 Phoenix (Prescott) 1,855,930 1.622
13 Tampa-St. Pete (Sarasota) 1,822,160 1.592
14 Seattle-Tacoma 1,819,970 1.590
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul 1,730,530 1.512

I'd say that the 8th largest market is still very significant

Reaction Score
I wish they would just get this damn expansion round over with. Everyone knows pretty much how it will end up...just get it done already:

it is either (most likely):
B1G : + UVA, UNC
SEC : + NC State, VT
B12 : + FSU, Clemson, GT , Miami
ACC : + UConn, Cincy, USF, Temple

or:
B1G: + UVA, GT
SEC : + UNC, VT
B12: + FSU, Clemson, Miami, NC St (maybe Duke and Louisville)
ACC: + UConn, Cincy, USF, Temple (maybe UCF, Houston, SMU, Navy)

just get it over with already. The only unanswered questions is whether Notre Dame sticks with the ACC in this scenario (most likely) or if they join the B12 for all non-football sports.
how excited would you be if this happened?
whos even left in the second scenario? syr, pitt, bc, and wf? yea!!!
anything more than 4 from the acc is not good for uconn.

Reaction Score
The TV market size debate has gone on ad nauseum on the other B1G thread, particularly after the last raid. I'm not trying to get published here but for the sake of discussion here are your numbers.

Rank Designated Market Area (DMA) TV Homes. % of US
1 New York 7,433,820 6.495
2 Los Angeles 5,654,260 4.940
3 Chicago 3,492,850 3.052
4 Philadelphia 2,950,220 2.578
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth 2,489,970 2.175
6 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose 2,476,450 2.164
7 Boston (Manchester) 2,409,080 2.105
8 Atlanta 2,369,780 2.070
9 Washington, DC (Hagrstwn) 2,321,610 2.028
10 Houston 2,106,210 1.840
11 Detroit 1,926,970 1.684
12 Phoenix (Prescott) 1,855,930 1.622
13 Tampa-St. Pete (Sarasota) 1,822,160 1.592
14 Seattle-Tacoma 1,819,970 1.590
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul 1,730,530 1.512

I'd say that the 8th largest market is still very significant
how much of that market does gt actually bring? lets say 30%. thats 600K?
i bet uconn would bring almost twice that.

Reaction Score
Given the numbers the Big Ten is talking about, it is utterly meaningless how much less than $52M Maryland ultimately pays. It just doesn't matter.
meaningless for who? md or the other 10 schools looking for landing spots that might not be the big 10?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
After this news broke I followed them. Then I remembered I don't give a rat's about Maryland sports so I unfollowed. So I'm glad rumrunner and maybe a couple other people are following them so I don't have to:p

Reaction Score
Based on everything I've seen so far, UNC and Duke are a package deal. The SEC does not have much space to grow, unless they are willing to go beyond the southeast. Also, if UNC goes to the Big 10, NC State would go to the SEC, not the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I could live with this but shouldn't be called the Big East? Only Wake and Duke from the ACC.

Yeah. If the ACC implodes I hope the schools that left the Big East can return to the conference and the ACC disappears.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's fine. The numbers he gave clearly favor UGA anyway. Might not happen but clearly the Big 10 values GT higher than you do.

Georgia Tech is seventh or eighth on the Big 10's list in my opinion.

1) UVa
2) UNC

3) UConn
4) Syracuse
5) BCU

6) Virginia Tech
7) Florida State
8) Georgia Tech

I think VTech is more valuable to the Big 10 even if the Big 10 already had UVa. I find it very unlikely that the Big 10 is going to enter a market where it knows it will get its butt handed to it and where cable providers will be completely indifferent to the BTN.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

1) UVa
2) UNC

3) UConn
4) Syracuse
5) BCU

6) Virginia Tech
7) Florida State
8) Georgia Tech

I think VTech is more valuable to the Big 10 even if the Big 10 already had UVa. I find it very unlikely that the Big 10 is going to enter a market where it knows it will get its butt handed to it and where cable providers will be completely indifferent to the BTN.

Do you just post silly opinions in the face of reality on purpose?

Their list is pretty clear and you aren't in the ballpark.

But you'll get a like from HFD for having UConn ahead of actual candidates.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you just post silly opinions in the face of reality on purpose?

Their list is pretty clear and you aren't in the ballpark.

But you'll get a like from HFD for having UConn ahead of actual candidates.

In one thread you and Zoo are attacking me for being too negative, and here you are attacking me for being too positive. Other than liking to attack other posters, do you have any consistent point of view?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

1) UVa
2) UNC

3) UConn
4) Syracuse
5) BCU

6) Virginia Tech
7) Florida State
8) Georgia Tech

interesting... I think Delaney's preference is 1) UVA, 2) UNC, 3) GT, 4) ND or FS or BC or Uconn or Syr.

I think UNC and the southern schools (sans UVA) hold together and pass on the money. Their alumni dont want it. Culture, pride and travel issues to the northern schools being the issue. For these schools, any conf not centered in the south will be unacceptable for many stakeholders. Its the south that is growing, it should be taking the best of the north, not vice versa.

UNC is the lynch pin. If they resist, then I dont think the B1G will stretch to GT or FS and the southern push will be rebuffed. That leaves a return to the north and thats where we come in. I have no idea how Delaney will ultimately decide between Syr, Uconn or BC for that pairing partner with UVA. I think all three have merit - which of course is blasphamy on this board to acknowledge. In the end, I hope its us since we are the clear #1 public university for CT and new england and have shown commitment to compete hard in a multitude of sports. Uconn is not a one trick pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom