From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join | Page 6 | The Boneyard

From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Do you just post silly opinions in the face of reality on purpose?

Their list is pretty clear and you aren't in the ballpark.

But you'll get a like from HFD for having UConn ahead of actual candidates.

why bring me into the fight u just picked with nelson? we all know u pick fights daily here so that u can go home and not pick one with a family member after work.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech is seventh or eighth on the Big 10's list in my opinion.

1) UVa
2) UNC

3) UConn
4) Syracuse
5) BCU

6) Virginia Tech
7) Florida State
8) Georgia Tech

I think VTech is more valuable to the Big 10 even if the Big 10 already had UVa. I find it very unlikely that the Big 10 is going to enter a market where it knows it will get its butt handed to it and where cable providers will be completely indifferent to the BTN.

In my honest opinion,

You are not way off. I think UVa, UNC are givens. Notre Dame. After that, in order of preference it's GT, UConn or BC, and finally Syr.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In one thread you and Zoo are attacking me for being too negative, and here you are attacking me for being too positive. Other than liking to attack other posters, do you have any consistent point of view?

I'm not attacking you anywhere. You are the last person on the planet who gets to comment on consistency as you've pointed out - you propose shutting down football, then put UConn ahead in the Big 10 pecking order of schools that they are clearly behind.

Here is a hint, reality lies between your extremes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
why bring me into the fight u just picked with nelson? we all know u pick fights daily here so that u can go home and not pick one with a family member after work.

This from a guy who if you can read his posts pretty much calls us all clowns in every third post. Now Mr. Sensitive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I mean you guys are posting Big 10 lists that don't start:

1. NOTRE DAME.

If you can't get that right.... it's tough to take them too seriously.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

1. NOTRE DAME.

I also didn't list USC, Texas, Alabama, the Baltimore Ravens and Manchester United. Sorry about that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm not attacking you anywhere. You are the last person on the planet who gets to comment on consistency as you've pointed out - you propose shutting down football, then put UConn ahead in the Big 10 pecking order of schools that they are clearly behind.

Here is a hint, reality lies between your extremes.

You think Georgia Tech is going to be one of the next schools in. I don't. One of us will be right.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

1. NOTRE DAME.

Well, I wouldn't take anything too seriously in this forum, after all it's just an anonymous fan site....nothing more. It's meant to be fun. Sports are recrecreation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You think Georgia Tech is going to be one of the next schools in. I don't. One of us will be right.

I don't know if they will be or not. I do realize that the Big 10 clearly has them on their list higher than the UConn's and Syracuses of the world.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know if they will be or not. I do realize that the Big 10 clearly has them on their list higher than the UConn's and Syracuses of the world.

Based on what? The Dude?

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score

1. NOTRE DAME.

Whaler is right on this one. The Big10 moved on Maryland & Rutgers until the ND/ACC deal was official.

ND is the ultimate target. In order to get ND out of the ACC the Big10 needs to make the ACC unstable. Taking UNC & UVa would accomplish this.

UNC & UVa surely do not want to abandon the ACC after suing Maryland for doing the same. In order to provide motivation the Big10 lets it be know that they will go after other ACC members. With Maryland, it has already show that the ACC can be touched. GTech can not afford to pass up the invitaion if offered - they may not be asked again.

pj

Reaction Score
we all know u pick fights daily here so that u can go home and not pick one with a family member after work.

I thought we all knew he picked fights daily as practice for his fights with his family members.

Reaction Score
I am sleeping on Georgia Tech. You are comparing a Georgia Tech game against a school that is only 2 hours from Atlanta to Georgia Tech playing Iowa, Minnesota and Michigan State. GTech/Minnesota is going to lose to non-Georgia SEC games more often than not in the Atlanta market.

Georgia Tech-Minnesota would lose in a ratings battle against an 6-month old replay of the Georgia spring game. While Georgia Tech is a public school, it is a niche one. As a result, it is perceived in Georgia almost like a private university in terms of general fan interest. If Georgia Tech is invited it is because Atlanta is a huge growing market with lots of transplanted northerners, including B1G grads, and they think they can grown their share over time. I'm not convinced but those demographics must be tempting even if actually capturing them is a long shot.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Georgia Tech-Minnesota would lose in a ratings battle against an 6-month old replay of the Georgia spring game. While Georgia Tech is a public school, it is a niche one. As a result, it is perceived in Georgia almost like a private university in terms of general fan interest. If Georgia Tech is invited it is because Atlanta is a huge growing market with lots of transplanted northerners, including B1G grads, and they think they can grown their share over time. I'm not convinced but those demographics must be tempting even if actually capturing them is a long shot.
Ratings don't matter when you have your own network and subscriber fees.

Reaction Score
This is complete conjecture on my part; but, this is what I see and I do not see any moves until the Maryland exit fee issue is clarified. I also do not see B1G standing pat at 14, they are going to go to 16 or 18 now (they will not go to 20 until ND is brought in).
§ UVA – Most likely to go to the B1G. They are a Top Tier academic school up their with Michigan with a decent brand name that provides access to a growing state and helps B1G lock-up the DC metro area and gives the B1G a fertile recruiting area. B1G also needs a partner for Maryland (Rutgers is not, Rutgers is a good partner for Penn State or Syracuse or UConn). Virginia’s demographics a hybrid of north/south (see presidential election map), which makes it culturally easier for UVA to go to the B1G than UNC or other schools. Primary speed bumps are loyalty to the ACC and pressure from VA politicians to find a landing spot for V Tech. They will likely be B1G #15.
§ V Tech – Does offer part of the DC market; but, the schools’ academics and athletics are more attuned to the SEC or XII.
§ UNC – Stronger sports brand name than UVA by far; but, slightly weaker academically than UVA. NC culturally is still a ‘southern’ state, which makes it hard culturally for UNC to bolt to a ‘northern’ conference. As the king of the hill of the ACC, they will not move until it is clear that that ACC is dead. There is also the political issue of their ‘attachment’ to NC State and Duke. I see them as B1G #17.
§ NC State – The NC version of V Tech. I see them going to the SEC or XII.
§ G Tech – There are 4 reasons while the B1G is looking at G Tech: 1) the demographics of Atlanta, i.e. TV subscribers, 2) serves as a land bridge between NC and FL, 3) very fertile football recruiting ground, 4) research, i.e. federal dollars, match well with the current B1G schools. I do not see G Tech going to the B1G as #16 as the B1G does not want to let G Tech hanging in the wind without a partner or two in SEC (and potentially XII) territory; but, I do see them to the B1G as #18
§ Florida State – Florida State is playing all of the conferences right now by declaring loyalty to the ACC, talking to the XII and stating their intent to be AAU for the B1G. I believe that FSU’s top choice is the SEC; but, unless FL politicians can pressure the Gators into backing down to provide FSU with the most logical landing spot, B1G is FSU’s second choice. Obviously, FSU offers the B1G a lot from a demographics and recruiting standpoint. Thus, I picture FSU being B1G #19.
§ U Miami – Even as screwed-up as the NCAA investigation has been, the declaration of the U having a ‘lack of intuitional control’ on top of not being a private school not named ND makes them dead to the B1G.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8964435/ncaa-accuses-miami-lack-institutional-control-notice-allegations

Thus, I picture the following schools being added to the B1G over the next few years (timing depends on how fast the ACC breaks-up). #15 UVA, #16 TBD, #17 UNC, #18 G Tech, #19 Florida State, #20 Notre Dame.
G Tech’s slot is precarious due to the ability of the B1G to separate UNC from Duke. If not, Duke could be potentially #18 eliminating G Tech or eliminating the ‘open’ slot #16. UConn is likely fighting for the open slot at #16 with Syracuse (to lock-up the NYC market) and BC (F@$!).

Reaction Score
meaningless for who? md or the other 10 schools looking for landing spots that might not be the big 10?

It's not meaningful to conference realignment. Would a Wake prefer an extra, one time $5M to not having it? Of course. Would Maryland rather exit paying $10M to $50M? Of course it would.

But in neither instance is that amount relevant at all to either institution's ability to compete on any particular level long-term compared to how the conferences end up and which conference one is in.

Reaction Score
As extreme and knee jerk as Nelson is I agree on the GT thing. Money wise if you look at the b1g model it's a great move. I just think they don't fit. I think the B1G is looking for fit as much as anything else.

Reaction Score
This. If an ACC invite comes, and the league has lost FSU, GT, UVA, UNC, or whoever, you immediately say yes. At the absolute worst, it's basically the same BE we've been a part of since 2005, with a better TV deal. This protects the university from falling into complete and permanent obscurity (NNNNNBE), and positions us to grow and potentially be a candidate for future changes. Saying no to the ACC in hopes of a B1G invite would be grounds for prosecuting whoever made such a decision.
We jump at the ACC invite in a heartbeat because we are not going to get a BIG invite in this round or any other round. As Uconn fans we have a tendancy to overvalue ourselves. We would likely be next on the ACC list and I see South Florida getting an invite before Cinncinati.
The ACC remains our only reasonable option and as a basketball first fan I'd rather see us go to the ACC than the BIG. At least we have some traditional rivalries in the ACC and our football program would be better off in the ACC rather than fighting to get out of the cellar of the BIG.

Reaction Score
We jump at the ACC invite in a heartbeat because we are not going to get a BIG invite in this round or any other round. As Uconn fans we have a tendancy to overvalue ourselves. We would likely be next on the ACC list and I see South Florida getting an invite before Cinncinati.
The ACC remains our only reasonable option and as a basketball first fan I'd rather see us go to the ACC than the BIG. At least we have some traditional rivalries in the ACC and our football program would be better off in the ACC rather than fighting to get out of the cellar of the BIG.
Hypothetically u are president of uconn with invites to both. Are you still picking ACC?

Reaction Score
For all the talk about Virginia, If you talk fit, I just don't see it. that school is very southern in its outlook, at least among the student body and I suspect its alumni. Virginia may be half red, half blue, but UVa is in some ways a throwback at least in terms of campus culture. Much more inward looking, if that's the right phrase, than say Michigan. Maybe they go, but I don't think long term it works very well for either party.

Reaction Score
Do you just post silly opinions in the face of reality on purpose?

Their list is pretty clear and you aren't in the ballpark.

But you'll get a like from HFD for having UConn ahead of actual candidates.

"Their list is pretty clear ..."? Whose list is that? How you can be that negative for someone disagreeing with totally unsourced rumors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom