Friday conference tournament games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Friday conference tournament games

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Rizzotti's GW squad suffers a tough loss to Duquesne in the A-10 quarterfinal, 62-58.

They have a chance at an at-large bid, but it's iffy.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Middling team in a power conference that has been in a slump for seemingly a month or so.

Hmm, 5-5 in the past month counts as a slump when 4 of those losses are to top-13 teams?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hmm, 5-5 in the past month counts as a slump when 4 of those losses are to top-13 teams?

Head bang Foiled again by Plebe. :oops:

Well I just don't think the Sun is that good of a team... To be ranked all year. Is that better? :confused:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Well I just don't think the Sun is that good of a team... To be ranked all year. Is that better? :confused:
Way to keep swinging at windmills my friend!

Plebe

Reaction Score

:D I agree to a point. But they weren't ranked all year. Missed the AP top 25 twice in the early season and now for the past 3 weeks. Based on resume, they're on the fringes of the top 25 but it's true they haven't figured out how to beat anyone ahead of them in the Pac-12. If it weren't for that road win at Kentucky, they might be closer to the bubble. Remember too that the other teams likely to be seeded #7 and below have major issues as well.

Plebe

Reaction Score
2 PT game Miami up but FSU in a roll , under 2 minutes

Miami's Davenport misses an open layup and just now Romero popped a 3 to cut the lead to 2. It's going down to the wire.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
See? There goes Plebe ruining a perfectly happy guy by using logic! Sorry Triad, best defense is a good offense sometimes. I need a big win by you against the Orange! Go Devils!,,

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wow. Miami hangs on to beat Florida State, 56-54. What a hard-fought game.

That's the second year in a row that Miami has upset FSU in the ACCT quarterfinals. Miami's best win of the year and it could put Miami into the discussion for hosting.

And believe it or not, the loss might be good for FSU in the sense that it might knock them out of that overall #8/#9 seed destined for Bridgeport.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
WOW. Florida State and Miami STRUGGLED to get to 56 and 54 today.

I guess offense isn't just an SEC "problem" ...:eek:.....

Reaction Score
It is astonishing to me the lack of talent on Cincinnati's roster 7 years into Jamelle Elliot's tenure. They just look slow everywhere. Don't like the way they play.

Sad to say Jamelle is probably not the answer for Cincinnati.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maryland over Minnesota 92-80. Looks like the score was close each quarter. Not particularly impressive for the Terps against a team that was 15-15 entering the game (and 5-11 in the Big 10).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Rizzotti's GW squad suffers a tough loss to Duquesne in the A-10 quarterfinal, 62-58.

They have a chance at an at-large bid, but it's iffy.

GW did not play well down the stretch giving up a 7pt lead in the 4th quarter to 7th seed Duquense. Got hosed with a last minute 5 second violation when clear time out was called but GW did not deserve it. Oh well.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Duke-Syracuse is a very entertaining game so far.

In some ways it's a textbook performance by Syracuse, creating turnovers with defensive pressure to generate extra possessions and jack up high-volume 3s. Duke had 8 turnovers in just the 1st quarter, and Syracuse was 5 of 20 from the field, but 3 of 8 from 3. Duke was 6 of 12 but 3 of 3 from 3, including a buzzer-beating 3-pointer by Lexie Brown.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maryland over Minnesota 92-80. Looks like the score was close each quarter. Not particularly impressive for the Terps against a team that was 15-15 entering the game (and 5-11 in the Big 10).

And when MD played MN in the regular season, it was a one-point game with 6:00 to play in 4Q before MD pulled away.

Everyone keeps saying that Maryland passes their "eye test," but they're basing their eye test on just the last quarter of the UConn game and their track-meet romps over the dregs of D-I.

Did they apply their eye test when Maryland beat Penn State by only 6 and Rutgers by only 11? What about when they were tied with Washington State in the 4th quarter? And what about when they got dominated by Ohio State?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford opened the game on a 21-0 run before Washington St. finally got on the board. Cardinal leading 23-5 w/ 2 minutes left in the 1st quarter. Ouch.

edited--Karlie has splashed a pair of 3's. After the second one the announcer commented you never leave a Samuelson open. Doesn't matter what her first name is or what jersey she has on.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
26-8 Stanford after 1 quarter. McPhee leading the way w/ 9. Stanford shooting 57.9% from the floor to WSU's 18.8%. Card w/ 4 three's to none for the Cougs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford struggled most of the 2nd quarter but got it going again right before halftime. Karlie nails a 3 at the buzzer, up 39-19 at the break. She's the leading scorer w/ 15 points, 5-9 FG and 4-7 behind the arc.

edited--Stanford has 6 different players w/ at least 1 blocked shot. That's a weird stat.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Texas A&M up 14 over Missouri w/ under a minute left in the game. Duke is running away from Syracuse w/ just a few ticks of the clock left.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Duke really defeats Syracuse by more than 20 with a second half outburst.
The Orange couldn't hit the side of a barn and Duke played a smart deliberate game
finding the open man (which was usually Lexi Brown)..

As I've said before, I am a great believer in redemption...
Joanne P seemingly showed some ability prior to her run at Duke
but the last couple of seasons has been a disaster of bad losses, finger pointing and not taking responsibility.
It took a near firing to straighten her out.

This evening her team was by far the more disciplined and well-coached...that''s right
I said: well coached.

Good on her.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Texas A&M up 14 over Missouri w/ under a minute left in the game. Duke is running away from Syracuse w/ just a few ticks of the clock left.

So the semifinal matchups tomorrow:

Notre Dame vs. Louisville
Duke vs. Miami

South Carolina vs. Kentucky
Mississippi St vs. Texas A&M

Ohio State vs. Purdue
Maryland vs. Michigan St (currently leading Michigan by 16 in 4Q)

Oregon St vs. UCLA
Stanford (currently up by 24 on WSU) vs. winner of Washington/Oregon

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Those ACC and Pac 12 semi-finals look like really interesting matchups.

Stanford up 54-30 after 3 quarters. Karlie w/ 21 pts and 6-10 behind the arc. How does WSU keep losing her and let her get looks from deep?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
66-36 Stanford final. WSU 0-16 behind the arc Stanford 9-21.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Duke really defeats Syracuse by more than 20 with a second half outburst.
The Orange couldn't hit the side of a barn and Duke played a smart deliberate game
finding the open man (which was usually Lexi Brown)..

As I've said before, I am a great believer in redemption...
Joanne P seemingly showed some ability prior to her run at Duke
but the last couple of seasons has been a disaster of bad losses, finger pointing and not taking responsibility.
It took a near firing to straighten her out.

This evening her team was by far the more disciplined and well-coached...that''s right
I said: well coached.

Good on her.
They would probably be one of the most dangerous teams in the tournament if they still had Stevens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom