For those worried about Uconn's short bench | The Boneyard

For those worried about Uconn's short bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a lot of discussion about the 'short bench' for Uconn (which just got better with KML's return) but I think a quick look at the ND/UNC game minutes played is instructive.
ND has 13 active players on the roster, yet in a blow out victory against UNC the minutes were distributed among only 7 players with Reimer and Mabrey getting 18 and 20 minutes off the bench. The other 6 players combined for 19 minutes with Wright and Cable getting the most at 6 and 5.
YTD Cable has actually seen more time so I am not sure what the story was in this game and if this is a trend but even with her getting significant minutes, that only brings the 'long bench' up to eight players with Cable as the eight player averaging 14 minutes per game. (And for some poster it really is amazing she hasn't left the team since she obviously isn't getting significant minutes!:eek:)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As many have noted on here, all benches shorten up in the tourneys. Not really worried about UCONN's.

Reaction Score
As long as Mosqueda-Lewis is back, having 3 on the bench is plenty. And since it is tourney time, there's no holding back, and Dolson, Hartley, Jefferson, and Stewart have all proven they can play a full 40 if need be.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
As noted elsewhere, not sure what the situation with Cable is. Over the last four games she is down to a 9.5 mpg and 2.75 ppg stat line. But last night she did pop in 7 points in 5 minutes as a spark off the bench, so I wouldn't necessarily write her off yet. There are many factors such as Muffet wanting to try out some other players or some naggy health issues that sometimes come into play in these cases. Cable does have nice shooting and rebounding stats on the season.

Wright got 1 more minute than Cable last night, but her own smallish contributions of 4.0 mpg and 0.0 ppg in the last 4 games don't indicate she will be seeing time in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Muffet doesn't play Cable much against the more athletic teams. Geno's approach with Meghan Gardler for example was pretty similar even in her senior year when she was playing in the regular rotation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This discussion is misdirected. It doesn't matter who Muffet plays sixth, it's likely that player will outscore our sixth player.

If some smart team with 15 players goes after us (as Notre Dame has done in the past) we'll soon be playing with either 4 scholarship players and a walk-on or worse.

Just foul us like mad and UConn's season is determined by the refs.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Muffet doesn't play Cable much against the more athletic teams. Geno's approach with Meghan Gardler for example was pretty similar even in her senior year when she was playing in the regular rotation.
A great comparison.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As noted elsewhere, not sure what the situation with Cable is. Over the last four games she is down to a 9.5 mpg and 2.75 ppg stat line. But last night she did pop in 7 points in 5 minutes as a spark off the bench, so I wouldn't necessarily write her off yet. There are many factors such as Muffet wanting to try out some other players or some naggy health issues that sometimes come into play in these cases. Cable does have nice shooting and rebounding stats on the season.

Wright got 1 more minute than Cable last night, but her own smallish contributions of 4.0 mpg and 0.0 ppg in the last 4 games don't indicate she will be seeing time in the tourney.
It hasn't been a topic of conversation, but Cable's last 5 points were a little weird.

ND had the ball with 41 seconds left. They move it into the front court and with 16 seconds left on the shot clock, she takes a contested 3 pointer. Then at the other end Cable and a UNC player get double technicals.

ND gets the ball back with 7.5 seconds left. They inbound the ball, one pass up the court and then another to Cable in the right corner. She could have just held the ball or pass it out but she drove to the basket hard getting fouled putting up a layup.

It just seemed a little strange that she didn't just hold the ball or look for a pass. Maybe she was pi ssed about the confrontation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thi
This discussion is misdirected. It doesn't matter who Muffet plays sixth, it's likely that player will outscore our sixth player.

If some smart team with 15 players goes after us (as Notre Dame has done in the past) we'll soon be playing with either 4 scholarship players and a walk-on or worse.

Just foul us like mad and UConn's season is determined by the refs.
This is a joke, right?

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If UConn wins another national title I don't think you'll hear anyone commenting "Wow, they did it with such a short bench!"

Reaction Score
I think you're missing the concern about a short bench. It is entirely a Plan B matter.
Ie, a player twists an ankle in warmups or gets 2 quick fouls -- then what? A short bench gives you few options. And further, with UConn the drop off is steep. If ND has to replace Braker with Reimer, there's a little decline. But having to replace KML with Chong, for example, is much more significant. No slight against Chong; but she's no KML.

If UConn has healthy players and no foul trouble, Geno will play them all 40 minutes if he has to. (All except KML should be in good enough shape.). But lack of foul trouble seems unlikely, esp since any opponent would be smart to gamble on a foul fest.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I think you're missing the concern about a short bench. It is entirely a Plan B matter.
Ie, a player twists an ankle in warmups or gets 2 quick fouls -- then what? A short bench gives you few options. And further, with UConn the drop off is steep. If ND has to replace Braker with Reimer, there's a little decline. But having to replace KML with Chong, for example, is much more significant. No slight against Chong; but she's no KML.

If UConn has healthy players and no foul trouble, Geno will play them all 40 minutes if he has to. (All except KML should be in good enough shape.). But lack of foul trouble seems unlikely, esp since any opponent would be smart to gamble on a foul fest.
But again, as has been pointed out many many times, UConn leads the nation by a lot in fouls NOT committed. So getting a team that commits very few fouls into foul trouble is infinitely harder than getting a Notre Dame or a really foul-prone team like OK into trouble. Fans can also worry about what happens if UConn's #1 defense suddenly gives up 70 points, or its #1 passing attack suddenly can't find anybody, or teams suddenly start lighting up the team's #1 band of blockers for 50% shooting, or foul-smelling cannibal aliens kidnap the team.

True, any of these things can happen, but I'd be far more worried about a situation that has happened occasionally lately where the team early on settles for long jump shots that aren't falling and takes a long time to get the offense rolling. I'm guessing that in the important tourney games that if this happens Geno will call a quick time out and calmly suggest to the players that they start attacking the basket and maybe at least pick up some FTs. But we shall see.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I don't care if you have me on ignore, this deserves a response.

Braker? You are replacing 4 ppg and 5 rpg with Reimer, 8 ppg and 5 rpg.

Now for you on you are replacing a All American type player with Chong. How is this even remotely the same.

Uconn shouldn't be thought to have a weaker bench because they have 5 starters so much better than the players on the bench.

How would ND do if McBride was out? Can they survive replacing her with Mabrey? How about if Achonwa was out? Can you imagine Reimer covering Dolson?

No slight on Reimer or Mabrey but they are no McBride or Achonwa.

Too bad you won't see this reply.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
McBride in foul trouble would be a near death experience for ND.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Now for you on you are replacing a All American type player with Chong. How is this even remotely the same.

Uconn shouldn't be thought to have a weaker bench because they have 5 starters so much better than the players on the bench.

How would ND do if McBride was out? Can they survive replacing her with Mabrey? How about if Achonwa was out? Can you imagine Reimer covering Dolson?

I was beginning to write a reply saying exactly what you've said in your post. I'm not sure why the comparison of replacing Braker vs KML was chosen but it really doesn't prove much.

Reaction Score
Loyd, or McBride in foul trouble game over, Stewie has foul trouble still have Stef, Bria, Moriah, and a KML who might not be 100%, but better then anyone else Notre Dame has. There is no one on Notre Dame who I would put in the starting lineup over a UConn player, and Kiah is a better reserve then anyone on Notre Dame's bench.

Reaction Score
I was beginning to write a reply saying exactly what you've said in your post. I'm not sure why the comparison of replacing Braker vs KML was chosen but it really doesn't prove much.

Right now I'd say KML is UConn,s 5th best starter (an embarrassment of riches I know).
I used ND as an example only because they're the only team where I know all 5 starters. Not because I was saying that UConn loses to ND.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Thanks Doggy, saved me from having to write this. Diggins got so into the heads of many Boneyarders that they come up with crazy logic to explain imagined vulnerabilities. Sure, ND has a chance against us, but I like our chances way, way better.

Reaction Score
Loyd, or McBride in foul trouble game over, Stewie has foul trouble still have Stef, Bria, Moriah, and a KML who might not be 100%, but better then anyone else Notre Dame has. There is no one on Notre Dame who I would put in the starting lineup over a UConn player, and Kiah is a better reserve then anyone on Notre Dame's bench.
A little strong (subpar KML better than Loyd/McBride?) but not far off.

Reaction Score
All that zone that Geno's played this year in preparation for a game where foul trouble rears its ugly head will have our girls well prepared to deal with anything that comes up

Reaction Score
But again, as has been pointed out many many times, UConn leads the nation by a lot in fouls NOT committed. So getting a team that commits very few fouls into foul trouble is infinitely harder than getting a Notre Dame or a really foul-prone team like OK into trouble. Fans can also worry about what happens if UConn's #1 defense suddenly gives up 70 points, or its #1 passing attack suddenly can't find anybody, or teams suddenly start lighting up the team's #1 band of blockers for 50% shooting, or foul-smelling cannibal aliens kidnap the team.

True, any of these things can happen, but I'd be far more worried about a situation that has happened occasionally lately where the team early on settles for long jump shots that aren't falling and takes a long time to get the offense rolling. I'm guessing that in the important tourney games that if this happens Geno will call a quick time out and calmly suggest to the players that they start attacking the basket and maybe at least pick up some FTs. But we shall see.
My concern would be a team like Notre Dame who, at least in the past few years, has gotten an enormous amount of blocking calls by bull charging into the paint area, even when they appear to be initiating the contact and should be called for charges. It may be somewhat different this year because the judges favorite girl (Skylar Diggins) has taken her act to the pros (WNBA) where that kind of crap isn't working nearly as well. In a well officiated game, I have little doubt that the only way UConn will be sidetracked is by injuries that I hope will never occur.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
My concern would be a team like Notre Dame who, at least in the past few years, has gotten an enormous amount of blocking calls by bull charging into the paint area, even when they appear to be initiating the contact and should be called for charges. It may be somewhat different this year because the judges favorite girl (Skylar Diggins) has taken her act to the pros (WNBA) where that kind of crap isn't working nearly as well. In a well officiated game, I have little doubt that the only way UConn will be sidetracked is by injuries that I hope will never occur.
Anything is possible, and if it does come down to a UConn and ND matchup in the NC, that would be something to think about, though to tell the truth I cannot recall an NC game that I thought was that unevenly and badly officiated. These are showcase events, and there is no desire by the sport's officials to have the NC game demeaned by a either a flopfest or a divefest. But sure, anything can happen, and it is true that ND seems to be gearing up for the tourney season since they've averaged 27 FTAs in their last four games.

Still seems like a backburner concern for me, and in any match-up of the two teams I would just be more concerned with ND playing tough defense in the paint to bump UConn off its plays and frustrate the team into taking long jump shots. And UConn would have to hold onto the ball as they averaged 15.5 TOs to ND in last season's regular time losses and had 35 in the 3 OT game. They won in the semis off 22 TOs, but at least there the Irish obliged by shooting under 30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom