For those of you that doubt the ESPN bias | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For those of you that doubt the ESPN bias

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Watching sportcenter and i decide to time the segments each game gets and here are the results:

UK/MICH 5:13 Seconds

UCONN/MSU 1:35 Seconds.

Are you F@%king kidding me?!!!!!:mad:

Yeah, they showed like 2 plays from the game. An ELITE EIGHT game!

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I rarely watch the bloated behemoth known as ESPN any more. On any given day it's like watching LeBron's Greatest Hits(and it's always "LeBron", not "James", as if their oh-so-hip anchors are personal friends of his). Let me know the next time they cover a hockey game.

Reaction Score
espin has a conglomeration of dorks who self promote themselves as acknowledged experts.The majority are shills and homers for various conferences who feed the hurt egos of those who cannot produce.In the Carolinas where I live and work once the Tobacco Rd teams go out its as if the season is over they totally dial it out.I dont usually watch Cowherd but he did state in the past 20 years UCONN has to be rated as one of the premier teams just on achievement alone.The record speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
#1 team, not seed.

Undefeated D1 College team from a mid-major is ranked 2nd behind a 2 loss team from a very top Heavy Major conference. As I said...

If UConn had been undefeated, UConn would have still been ranked behind a 7 loss Duke team and given a 5 seed with Kentucky as a 12 seed in the first game…

Reaction Score
I'm new to the BY so sorry if I sound ignorant. I'm just wondering or can someone give me a reason why ESPN dislikes a school in their own backyard?

Reaction Score
Kentucky was ridiculously underseeded.
They were seeded appropriately if what you're doing is looking at "body of work."

They were underseeded if you were looking at "who is the best team." By the time the NCAAs came around, rating systems like KenPom and others would have had them around a 4-5.

GetRatchet

Shabazz Knapsack
Reaction Score
Wichita St may disagree with that statement…
Wichita State's biggest opponent on the year before the tourney was South Carolina school for the Deaf and Blind. They got all the media attention they deserved...

Reaction Score
Who cares? Seems pretty insecure to be so mad over ESPN. They did a whole 4 minute segment on UConn at MSG. They only show bias based on ratings. BTW, every fanbase of every school in the country thinks ESPN is biased against them. I don't get it. Go to the Florida boards, and they call UConn a "media darling". Go figure.

We should ALL care. Recruiting is the lifeline of any program and when you have uk on the screen every 5 minutes and analyst constantly sucking their sack these kids see that and start thinking uk is the place to be. Just look at the recruiting classes squid has gotten since going to uk. of course its not all because of ESPN but it plays a part in it. call me paranoid but it just really ticks me off.
You have a coach in his first tournament with a team NONE of the so called experts picked to make it to the ff4 after a year being ineligible for the tournament and all the other issues the program has been through just beat one of the best coaches in the game with a team that many thought were the best in the tournament and odds on favorite to cut down the nets. Thats a story worth more than a minute and half of coverage. But no they go on and on about how a bunch of freshmen came together as a team to make a run in the tourney with their amazing coach. !
I really really and i mean really really hope we play UK in the title game and we beat the piss out of them so that every single person that picked against us for no reason other thean jealousy and envy has to watch ko with his whole team behind him raise the trophy and all us fans can just laugh our asses off at the look on squids face and the analyst have to eat a huge buffet of crow.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So I'm at PNC Park this afternoon for opening day. Between the 1st and 2nd innings they show a feature on the big scoreboard about sports headlines. First headline is "Kentucky Beats Michigan for Final Four Spot." Then there's baseball news, hockey news and golf news. Not a mention of UConn.

It can only be concluded that the Pirates and MLB HATE UCONN.

Btw, I did yell out "UConn" first time Olt came up. Nobody around me knew what the hell I was yelling for. And I was too far away for Olt to hear. If any of y'all know him, it would be cool if you could suggest he plays the UConn pep song for his walk-up music!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm new to the BY so sorry if I sound ignorant. I'm just wondering or can someone give me a reason why ESPN dislikes a school in their own backyard?

It's more about the dismantling of the BCS system by excluding non power 5 schools than not liking UCONN. I am surprised that ESPN was not a UCONN backer during realignment and why Rutgers got the nod over UCONN by the B1G. Many believe it was all an orchestrated plan headed by John Swofford, ACC and Jim DeLany, B1G, etc and ESPN to create a Caste system/monopoly at the D-1 level. ESPN doesn't hate UCONN but a majority of power 5 schools for a variety of reasons didn't vote UCONN into the big boys club. ESPN has been accused of advising on what schools to extract from the Big East. The dollars invested by ESPN are too vast for ESPN to sit back. Thus the powers want to relegate UCONN and others in the AAC to mid major status. UCF's beat down on Baylor in the Fiesta and #10 ranking along with UCONN's final 4 berth in TX and the UCONN women's quest of their record 9th Championship has to keep network and P5 conference execs up thinking about the best spin to justify their greed and ignorance. No question there was an organized conspiracy to kill the Big East and squash any efforts to construct a representative conference. Mike Aresco has done an incredible job in negotiating with the Big East and establishing the AAC. Funny thing is once UCONN gets invited to either the ACC or B1G most of us including me won't care that much about the AAC either. We'll care about the AAC about as much as Louisville does. No time to be emotional. It all comes down to survival of the fittest! Don't get me wrong. I am one who believes the American has tremendous potential but I have a feeling next round of conference realignment will include the Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I rarely watch the bloated behemoth known as ESPN any more. On any given day it's like watching LeBron's Greatest Hits(and it's always "LeBron", not "James", as if their oh-so-hip anchors are personal friends of his). Let me know the next time they cover a hockey game.

In fairness, no one gives a ____ about hockey.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
W
ws a team to make a run in the tourney with their amazing coach. !
I really really and i mean really really hope we play UK in the title game and we beat the piss out of them so that every single person that picked against us for no reason other thean jealousy and envy has to watch ko with his whole team behind him raise the trophy and all us fans can just laugh our asses off.
If that happened the ESPN line would be "Kentucky Frosh Dreams Dashed."

Reaction Score
I've deleted everything espn long ago when I could handle any more over the top stories like linsanity. Just to much for me, I like my news simple. Like previously said, I'll only watch espn when my team is playin on their network and nothing ever more.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Florida is the most disrespected #1 team I have ever seen.

Not particularly. As stated several times in various newscasts, there really are no NBA players on Florida. Billy Donovan has done a ton with such little talent.

To me, they never really felt like a #1 team even though they have been for so long. Partially because they played in the SEC and outside of Kentucky, there really wasn't any team that ever was going to beat them. At that, Kentucky just frankly wasn't good in the regular season either. It's actually freaking impressive that the SEC got two teams in the final four, because they were the weakest basketball league of the Power 5.

I, for one, think that Florida is vulnerable to UConn. I think that's why many analysts are starting to downplay Florida. What Florida has is very good guard play. Unfortunately for them, UConn has even better guard play, both offensively and defensively. If Bazz and Boat play like they did against MSU, Florida is really going to have a hard time winning the game.

Yet, we're still doomed. Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!

Reaction Score
In fairness, you're dead wrong.

Not what the ratings say. The Penguins Vs. Blackhawks winter series game had an average of 2.8 million viewers making it the highest watched regular season game in the history of the NHL. The NCAA Tournament is averaging 9.8 million viewers per game. It's really not close. Game 6 of Bruins vs. Blackhawks last year had 8.16 million viewers. The NHL. Game 7 of the NBA Finals had 17.7 million viewers.

ESPN is driven by what these ratings say. And the ratings say nobody really watches Hockey.

(Full disclosure, I watch most Bruins games and am a hockey fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom