For those calling McNutt a hater | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For those calling McNutt a hater

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Oh God... why bring that up. I cringe every time I see him and Lobo working together. You can tell she dislikes that man..... and she dislikes him because he is offensive. Those that cannot coach, work on ESPN....

He coached at Georgia for a long time and is far better than McNutt

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know what we will see next year when the Regionals are in Greenville SC if the home court advantage favors SC or not. Let me add to that if other teams want to host the regionals then support your team. The Regionals are held at Arenas that draw crowds. If Im not mistaken it costs around $25,000 to rent Total Mortgage Arena. Thats approx 10,000 seats at $37 per game and you have to buy both games. For those of you who think the games should be played elsewhere. I will sell you a car worth 10,000 for $25,000 would you buy it? End of subject. The NCAA does not want to enter an agreement where they know they are going to loose money before they start. There are teams that draw and teams that dont draw. Where would you hold your Regional??????????

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
First off….

At least we had coverage!!!!! Hats off for that. It’s got a ways to go but it’s moving in the right direction.

There is a lot of great talent out there and I think it’s just needs to grow. As far as hosts go I was ok with Elle. Kelsey Riggs is fantastic but she is has been on the ACC network doing womens and mens coverage during the regular season so she had familiarity.

Nikki Fargas did fine. It’s to my knowledge the fist time.

Where was Lachina Robinson??

Andraya Carter is a star! I also like Kelly Gramlich from the ACC network.

Reaction Score
McNutt and that entire crew is bad for the game. Imagine you are not a women's basketball fan and you tune it to check it out during March Madness and this is what you see? Really? Compare Moe, Larry and Curley here with Kara, Rebecca and Andy in the past. Sure, Andy could be a bit boring and we complained about Rebecca overcompensating (in our eyes) to show no UConn bias. And Kara also showed no bias, even though you know she bleeds orange. Their comments were insightful for the most part. They added to the game and applied their knowledge and experience to improve the experience for fans. This threesome is just horrendous. Whoever hired them at ESPN should admit they made a mistake and clean house for the future. This isn't a Husky-Hating issue as much as it's a simple incompetence issue. They are foolish and just like to hear themselves talk. I am happy that I went to all the UConn March Madness games live thus far. I told my wife the other day that if UConn made the Final Four it might be worth the cost to go to Minneapolis and watch it live just to avoid these clowns. Now that they've won ....
In later posts it has been suggested that it is perhaps a generational thing that so many of us have been unimpressed with the current studio crew at ESPN. I don't find that to be the case. Studio, sideline and broadcast commentators have skewed towards being younger (and I'm sure hipper) for a while now. When Kara first became a part of the ESPN broadcast team I might have had fair reason to discount her commentary (being from you know where) but I immediately liked her personal and well informed approach to the games and I became her fan and enjoyed the work that she did on many UCONN games.

Fair View's comment that the current crew is bad for the game I think is a fair assessment. Those of us who have been followers of NCAA women's basketball for three decades or more have watched the game grow in popularity country wide and as new fans turn on to watch the broadcasts we hope that they'll be encouraged to continue to tune and and to follow the game throughout the season (or to possible even come to emulate the year round interest demonstrated by the members of this group of bloggers).

Its possible to present a product as being relevant to audience members of all generations if you see to it that the experts that you hire are competent and well-informed and add to the experience of seeing the game. The game has been entertaining for many years on its own. We should not be encouraged (as some fellow BY's have stated that they are) to turn away from the halftime reports because the three analysts that are paid to pontificate on the sport are strong on style but weak on substance.

Not every broadcast crew member in the past has been a strong contributor but this crew seems to represent a move by ESPN to move away from serious commentary. I can honestly say that I can't think of an observation made by any of the three during this post season run that I found added to my appreciation or understanding of the games that were taking place. I don't think that you advance the public's appreciation of your product by insulting their intelligence.

Reaction Score
It seems broadcast are scared to highlight the excellence of UCONN in depth. I believe this can happen and still spotlight all these other talented teams around the country.

Reaction Score
First off….

At least we had coverage!!!!! Hats off for that. It’s got a ways to go but it’s moving in the right direction.

There is a lot of great talent out there and I think it’s just needs to grow. As far as hosts go I was ok with Elle. Kelsey Riggs is fantastic but she is has been on the ACC network doing womens and mens coverage during the regular season so she had familiarity.

Nikki Fargas did fine. It’s to my knowledge the fist time.

Where was Lachina Robinson??

Andraya Carter is a star! I also like Kelly Gramlich from the ACC network.
I've been seeing her covering NBC Sports events like the Winter Olympics. I don't know what her status with ESPN is anymore.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I pretty much could care less who the halftime crew are because I rarely listen to them. I record games and start watching at a time where pregame and halftime chatter, as well as ads, can disappear with the click of fast forward. I highly recommend the practice!
Me too. I zip, zip through the commercials and the always annoying talking heads.

Reaction Score
It seems broadcast teams are scared to highlight the excellence of UCONN in depth. So they gloss over their talking points of UCONN. Open criticism by some high established individuals in Women's basketball, over the last couple of years, may be the reasons for the type of coverage UCONN has been receiving.

Reaction Score
In later posts it has been suggested that it is perhaps a generational thing that so many of us have been unimpressed with the current studio crew at ESPN. I don't find that to be the case. Studio, sideline and broadcast commentators have skewed towards being younger (and I'm sure hipper) for a while now. When Kara first became a part of the ESPN broadcast team I might have had fair reason to discount her commentary (being from you know where) but I immediately liked her personal and well informed approach to the games and I became her fan and enjoyed the work that she did on many UCONN games.

Fair View's comment that the current crew is bad for the game I think is a fair assessment. Those of us who have been followers of NCAA women's basketball for three decades or more have watched the game grow in popularity country wide and as new fans turn on to watch the broadcasts we hope that they'll be encouraged to continue to tune and and to follow the game throughout the season (or to possible even come to emulate the year round interest demonstrated by the members of this group of bloggers).

Its possible to present a product as being relevant to audience members of all generations if you see to it that the experts that you hire are competent and well-informed and add to the experience of seeing the game. The game has been entertaining for many years on its own. We should not be encouraged (as some fellow BY's have stated that they are) to turn away from the halftime reports because the three analysts that are paid to pontificate on the sport are strong on style but weak on substance.

Not every broadcast crew member in the past has been a strong contributor but this crew seems to represent a move by ESPN to move away from serious commentary. I can honestly say that I can't think of an observation made by any of the three during this post season run that I found added to my appreciation or understanding of the games that were taking place. I don't think that you advance the public's appreciation of your product by insulting their intelligence.

That's the challenge however. New fans may gravitate to this type of personality. It's like the NFL's partnership with Nickelodeon for some of their broadcasts. While it's not my thing, I can see where it catches the attention of a different demographic.

And when I say generational, age is only part of it. It's also music, fashion, pop culture and overall personality. It's appealing to personalities who ESPN may not have considered before. The reason why I said Elle is relatable to me, is because I was her watching that double OT game. I felt that. And I feel the same way when I watch Spain, Kimes of Kaplan on the other ESPN shows. Five or ten years ago, it wasn't like this from what I can recall.

Elle Duncan has to be doing something right as she also hosts SportsCenter and participates on other ESPN programs. She's respected by both her colleagues and athletes from various pro sports. I don't believe she's weak on substance based on the work I've seen her do over the years.

And in the end, how do we know that majority of the public are actually turning away from half time? I know I'm not. This forum is a small subset of WBB fans, with all due respect. We can't assume it's a turn off just because some in this thread say it is to them. Ratings have been trending triple digit increases from last year. Something's working to help expand the fan base. This could be part of it.

Reaction Score
I think the technical word is fossilization. ;)
Horrid would be the best word. I get the SEC Channel as one of my local South Carolina stations and Landers is the women's basketball "analyst." Body language from all the female analysts is so bad its a wonder they can get anyone to work with him. Fortunately, I know when he is one and turn him off.

Reaction Score
I have never forgiven MM for her blatant bias last year UCONN Vs SC. I could eventually be okay with her but as of now I can't trust anything she says so I don’t pay attention to her analysis because if she is blatantly bias with UCONN, then there has to be others as well along with I don't trust her observations. One bit.

I don’t listen to her and Nikki often but the little I hear from Nikki I like. I think she is fine. I tune out Monica. I did pick up though her predictions UConn VS NC State. Nikki gave her opinion in which she favored UCONN, then Monica was asked and the 1st thing she said was "I'm going the other way . . . "

And I spoke out ":Of course you are. . . "

I heard her last year doing Knick postgame on MSG and on a big issue she and Hahn were arguing with Wally. I was 100% agreeing with them. Then sometime later she is on one of those sports shows during the day and speaks of something she would be in favor of which imo completely contradicted the argument/ her pov she and Hahn were having with Wally.

As a result, I don't trust anything she says but sometimes will have to listen anyway because she is on.

Reaction Score
Monica McNutt was on broadcasts last year talking up Aaliyah and her style of play as a freshman (think when games were on the CBS Sports Network). I haven't taken anything she's said to be biased from what I've watched or listened to.
Are you a UCONN fan? Or more of an overall WCBB fan? Are you suggesting she was blatantly bias calling that game?

Reaction Score
Are you a UCONN fan? Or more of an overall WCBB fan? Are you suggesting she was blatantly bias calling that game?
1) Overall WCBB fan but an Aaliyah Edwards fan because she's from Canada.

2) Based on your response, I realize my response wasn't clear. When McNutt was talking about Aaliyah last year, she was raving about her as she liked her style of play and hustle. If I gave the impression she spoke negatively, that's on me. These would be during pre-game and half-time shows during games.

3) There was no intention of stating bias, but the opposite based on what I remember seeing on TV last year during the season.

Reaction Score
McNutt speaks as if she has marbles in her mouth. She needs elocution lessons

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How many threads are there gonna be complaining about announcers/studio hosts/outfits ? 8 ?

What I admire about Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson is that they never show any bias towards their respective schools.

I'd hope Lawson would show bias towards Duke.

Reaction Score
UConn vs Everybody right??? Seem like the media some players and coaches gang up on UConn. Yes other teams/college programs is getting better but UConn is still dominant and the best basketball program in the world. I see Twitter haters tweet about how UConn is in a weak conference but yet we had 3 teams go far in the tournament and they play the best non conference schedule. It’s not fair that they get home court advantage, they get the best players and ESPN advertising Connecticut to much. To those people who hate on UConn needs to thank them for putting woman basketball on the map.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
What I liked about ESPN in the NC State - UConn coverage:
  1. The play by play and color commentary from Ryan Ruocco and Rebecca Lobo. They were great, showed excitement and knowledge and kept it all relevant to the action. If I don't like the studio hosts, I can take a break at halftime, refill my drink, whatever. But if the in-game crew sucks, it is much worse... (of course, I could turn the sound off, but that would take away a lot from the experience)
  2. They kept live broadcast during the entire dramatic finish. From the media timeout in the middle of the fourth quarter they did not cut a single moment to commercials during any timeout or interruption all the way through the rest of the quarter, both overtimes, and beginning of celebration. This was a full 58 minutes of uninterrupted telecast, outstanding!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom