For those calling McNutt a hater | The Boneyard

For those calling McNutt a hater

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
McNutt and that entire crew is bad for the game. Imagine you are not a women's basketball fan and you tune it to check it out during March Madness and this is what you see? Really? Compare Moe, Larry and Curley here with Kara, Rebecca and Andy in the past. Sure, Andy could be a bit boring and we complained about Rebecca overcompensating (in our eyes) to show no UConn bias. And Kara also showed no bias, even though you know she bleeds orange. Their comments were insightful for the most part. They added to the game and applied their knowledge and experience to improve the experience for fans. This threesome is just horrendous. Whoever hired them at ESPN should admit they made a mistake and clean house for the future. This isn't a Husky-Hating issue as much as it's a simple incompetence issue. They are foolish and just like to hear themselves talk. I am happy that I went to all the UConn March Madness games live thus far. I told my wife the other day that if UConn made the Final Four it might be worth the cost to go to Minneapolis and watch it live just to avoid these clowns. Now that they've won ....

Reaction Score
Agree with most of you about the announcing crew being pretty bad. McNutt has always been very derogatory toward Louisville. She was on the ACC All Net women's show from early in the ACC Network life and she never has anything good to say about Louisville, their players, the games or anything. She constantly played down Dana Evans last year while building up every decent player from other teams. I was relieved when I saw her gone from some of the ACC coverage this year until I realized she had moved over to ESPN itself instead of their ACC branch. She is very biased plus she speaks entirely too fast to be a public commentator. She wouldn't make so many mistakes in what she says if she would slow down and actually think of what she it saying before actually saying it. The other 2 are just not impressive or interesting at all. I have seen several crews that are much better than this group.

Reaction Score
Yes, that studio crew is bad. I turned the channel to something else during halftime, just not to have to listen to them. In the past, I would never have done that.

Reaction Score
I think they are pretty good overall. Sometimes an announcer has to be the devil's advocate even when they don't want to be. They are SELLING the program folks. McNutt's job was to promote Creighton's chances also when she knew they had virtually no shot against SC. She and the entire crew are upbeat and the program flows well. They have the experienced WNBA team president with some solid analysis and McNutt keeps it current and upbeat.

Reaction Score
I think they are pretty good overall. Sometimes an announcer has to be the devil's advocate even when they don't want to be. They are SELLING the program folks. McNutt's job was to promote Creighton's chances also when she knew they had virtually no shot against SC. She and the entire crew are upbeat and the program flows well. They have the experienced WNBA team president with some solid analysis and McNutt keeps it current and upbeat.
This just proves the rest of us are right …. Thanks

Reaction Score
she speaks entirely too fast
I'm not quite as put-off with her content when I can understand it, but we're in agreement that she speaks too fast. If I want to understand her I need to turn the volume up and expend way too much effort concentrating. Having said that, I'm not shy to ask a speaker to slow down in real time be it on the phone or in person if I can't keep up.

Reaction Score
experienced WNBA team president
My beef with Nikki Vargas is a general pet peeve I have with sportscasters in general... the overuse to the point of meaningless the word "unbelievable." By the end of any of her screeds I've been told so many things are "unbelievable" I don't know if I can believe anything!

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of putting down individuals for simply stating their opinion (refs aside, lol), but rather prefer to elevate tv personalities who truly are good at their job. Shout out to R Lobo, Alexa Phillippou, Megan Cuomo, and little discussed UConn alum, Molly Qerim (first take hostess).

Reaction Score
I'm not quite as put-off with her content when I can understand it, but we're in agreement that she speaks too fast. If I want to understand her I need to turn the volume up and expend way too much effort concentrating. Having said that, I'm not shy to ask a speaker to slow down in real time be it on the phone or in person if I can't keep up.
Learn the from Green Bay Packers wide-out Max McGee? Famous for stressing fundamentals, Vince Lombardy, in his first ever meeting with the team, held up a ball and said, "Gentlemen, this is a football." McGee immediately responded, "Slow down coach, you're going too fast."

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not a fan of the present studio crew at all.

Too much hyping certain teams and players. Not enough critical analysis. Not a fan of many of the ESPN announcers.

I would rather see and hear Andraya Carter than those three. She has an easy delivery, is knowledgeable on how the game is played.

She has been teamed with Andy Landers on the SEC channel this season.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Only after the fact. Last year she chose SCar to beat UConn in the game with "the shot", and she pick UConn to lose to both Indiana and NC State.
I remember when Charles Barkley picking against our men was the best mojo ever.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I get a sense ESPN is trying to reach an expanded audience. Games like last night's will help in that regard more than anything they can do in the studio.

Reaction Score
Like several who have posted here I do not like McNutt at all. I'm a bit old (perhaps not for this group where I seem to fit in) and I found it almost impossible to understand at least half of what she was saying as she babbles way too fast. What I did hear and understand I felt was a bias and not anything that added to the conversation. I was neutral to the middle person as she added little and in general liked the one on the right who was doing the job she was given at the time pretty well. I understand biased commentators who are working games for their team or conference as those teams are basically making their paycheck. But this is not appropriate when working for a national broadcaster who is supposed to have no dog in the fight.

Reaction Score
I find both Elle Duncan and McNutt to be very relatable. Could it be a generational thing? Elle isn't afraid to be upfront about her loyalties to Atlanta-based teams because of where she's from. I appreciate that energy and she seems to have fun with it too.

Monica McNutt was on broadcasts last year talking up Aaliyah and her style of play as a freshman (think when games were on the CBS Sports Network). I haven't taken anything she's said to be biased from what I've watched or listened to.

I like the idea of Carter being on the sidelines for the games. She deserves the opportunity to be on the scene along with the studio work she's done. I hope it expands into more WNBA and NBA coverage as she's excellent for the game.

Reaction Score
I pretty much could care less who the halftime crew are because I rarely listen to them. I record games and start watching at a time where pregame and halftime chatter, as well as ads, can disappear with the click of fast forward. I highly recommend the practice!

Reaction Score
McNutt, Carolyn Peck, Stacey Dales-Schuman.... they all were very anti-UCONN. It is sad that they pushed their views on the audience instead of just reporting the story.... their personal bias is noticeable.

I would enjoy listening to Kara Lawson, Rebecca Lobo, and others who were able to call the game as they saw it. They would give the pros and cons of both sides, and would give an honest opinion of what they thought the outcome would be using facts.

The fact that McNutt thought Indiana and NC State would win, is fine by me...if she supported it with facts and details. What is really getting under my skin now are all the people crying that UCONN had the home court advantage and therefore it was not fair. Like when Louisville was our 1 and we beat them a couple years back....

Reaction Score
What happened to Andy Landers?
Oh God... why bring that up. I cringe every time I see him and Lobo working together. You can tell she dislikes that man..... and she dislikes him because he is offensive. Those that cannot coach, work on ESPN....

Reaction Score
McNutt, Carolyn Peck, Stacey Dales-Schuman.... they all were very anti-UCONN. It is sad that they pushed their views on the audience instead of just reporting the story.... their personal bias is noticeable.

I would enjoy listening to Kara Lawson, Rebecca Lobo, and others who were able to call the game as they saw it. They would give the pros and cons of both sides, and would give an honest opinion of what they thought the outcome would be using facts.

The fact that McNutt thought Indiana and NC State would win, is fine by me...if she supported it with facts and details. What is really getting under my skin now are all the people crying that UCONN had the home court advantage and therefore it was not fair. Like when Louisville was our 1 and we beat them a couple years back....

Serious question - When was the last time Dales did a basketball broadcast? I'm used to her covering the NFL, specifically the NFC North conference. I have found it amusing when they've referenced her basketball background on occasion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom