For the first time, I believe we may actually be screwed in the long run of conference realignment | Page 6 | The Boneyard

For the first time, I believe we may actually be screwed in the long run of conference realignment

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is basically nothing like any of the B10 schools besides Northwestern. At any rate, the point is likely moot. Every step Notre Dame has done for the last few decades is to ensure it is not in the B10. I don't expect an about-face anytime soon.

Reaction Score
You seriously believe that ND locked themselves in until 2036?

"Along with the network details, the ACC announced last week that its 15 members (including Notre Dame) extended their existing Grant of Rights agreement until 2036. Notre Dame's other sports aren't going anywhere for at least the next two decades. So if it at some point it wants to plant football in a conference, it's almost certainly going to be in the ACC. "

From ESPN

"
The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they will be contracted to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
Screw the ACC ...... UConn is better suited for the Big Ten.

What are the thoughts regarding Big Ten expansion?

Thanks.

Reaction Score
What are the thoughts regarding Big Ten expansion?

Someone in the the Big 12 has to make a move. Then, I think UConn gets paired up and joins the Big Ten, but that's just me.

My thinking is that adding the Big Ten to the radar of perspective students in New England is too much to pass up.

Reaction Score
UConn to the B10 makes sense if everything below Kansas is locked away. KU and UConn would make an attractive basketball pair. I imagine the B10 will wait on Oklahoma and Texas to decide what they want to do first though.

Reaction Score
LOL at all the people who think the Big 12 collapse would somehow be a good thing for UConn, or in any way make UConn's position easier to stomach.
Even IF the Big 12 crashes, which it won't that's all forum and clickbait talk in reality, the former members of that conference would still be in a much better position than we are. They still got paid for all the years they were in the big 12, and now they are the likely members to be scooped up. Just more fish for UConn to get passed up for.
ISU in the Big 12 might have more value. ISU to the ACC is not trumping Uconn unless something other than market forces are in play.

Reaction Score
Hello Uconn Fans,

I'm not sure if this is the best location for this story, and if not, I apologize. I just figured this thread fit better than any of the other semi-up to date threads as compared to those that have been inactive for a few days. Anyhow, enjoy the article:

ACC needs to do something about Boston College – DeCock

It would seem that the first tiny pebble that might manifest itself into the push to drop dead weight members from the power conferences may have started... Just an opinion piece, but still, it could portend the beginning of consolidation. Of course, it could also be a writer who is upset his team was beaten by BC. Tough to day as I am unfamiliar with Luke Decock.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hello Uconn Fans,

I'm not sure if this is the best location for this story, and if not, I apologize. I just figured this thread fit better than any of the other semi-up to date threads as compared to those that have been inactive for a few days. Anyhow, enjoy the article:

It would seem that the first tiny pebble that might manifest itself into the push to drop dead weight members from the power conferences may have started... Just an opinion piece, but still, it could portend the beginning of consolidation. Of course, it could also be a writer who is upset his team was beaten by BC. Tough to day as I am unfamiliar with Luke Decock.

Luke DeCock was the Hurricanes beat writer for the N&O. Now he's their columnist and they share content across other papers like the Charlotte Observer.

I agree it was weird timing to write the article since they just beat NC State. He's not some big State fan or anything though.

Wait til he sees the loss to Nicholls State last night.

Reaction Score
Well...BC does play UConn next week in football...after losing their last two games by a combined score of 97-14, they should be ripe.

I'll try to catch it on watchespn..

Reaction Score
BC is at the end of their rope...

Coach Jags:

Embarrassing. I can't even watch this. Let me know when you want to be relevant again! You deserve better.

Reaction Score
I have three kids, six nephews and five grand nephews/nieces. They are all ND fans despite several graduating from other universities. My family is similar to thousands of other ND fan base families. I think that overstate the "lack of appeal" for ND to young people.

Two of my sons were born/raised in Baton Rouge and graduated from LSU. They dislike the Tigers and root for ND.

I think that overstate the "lack of appeal" for ND to a lot of young people, especially from multi-generational ND families.

Time will tell. Take care.

My family growing up was always ND ...

And it is one of those Irish extended families of 100+. There is no way ND has that appeal that it did in the 1960-1975 timeframe. Too many other Programs were rising and that moved many people in other directions. If you were part of that group ... and then had a family member attend Notre Dame, then I think you extended that to a new generation. But I presume the numbers are dropping dramatically. Of course ... still a Major BRAND.

Reaction Score
Hello Uconn Fans,

BC (Gene DeFilippo and Father Leahy) were prescient in their deceitful moves to get into the ACC back in the early Oughts. They could see what was coming ... and it seems other Universities were sleepy (Pitt, WVU, UConn etc).

Having said that, the JOKE is on John Swofford. There is no way that BC (who's fanbase is one zipcode or 4) can be a better Athletic Department than UConn (a regionally strong up&coming Public). I would argue that Syracuse is also the same story. Central New York is a depressed quicksand of a market. Carrier Dome skews peoples thought (hoop); but, this is a Townies supplementing their farflung Alumni base (and frankly, what is the instance of someone from a solid urban center going to SU and staying in the 315 area code). Louisville has really good football with Petrino (and before that with Strong); and that is emblematic of a good way of procuring talent with a weak academic entrance. None of this should be surprising.

UConn could be the dominant Northeastern Public - for 39 million people in NY and NE. And, has a good case for being solid in Manhattan and greater NYC. Unlike Rutgers, they actually do develop and keep solid Athletic Programs in multiple sports. Excellence. Without the crap scandals yearly.

There is no trading. But, this was all predictable as we were solid in MBB and could be far better in CFB.

Reaction Score
BC started out fine in the ACC right after they joined......they finished their first season AP ranked #18 in 2005, #20 in 2006, #10 in 2007...and then disappeared. Those three years were the Matt Ryan at QB years.

After Matt Ryan..not much going on for them.

Some teams can be better than they usually are for a time with a very good QB...Marshall with Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich, UCF with Duante Culpepper and Blake Bortles, WVU with Pat White, NC State with Phillip Rivers, etc

I don't expect to see Boston College again see the AP in my lifetime...but stranger things have happened.

Reaction Score
OK, I know it's childish, but I cannot let the name Luke DeCock go by without mention...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom