For the first time, I believe we may actually be screwed in the long run of conference realignment | Page 4 | The Boneyard

For the first time, I believe we may actually be screwed in the long run of conference realignment

Reaction Score
\
It is only ND's opinions and stances on this issue that really matter, since they are the ones who decide their status..

Call me crazy, but in some cultures, what everyone else thinks > what your clan thinks.

And in other cultures it's really quite rude to make you and yours the center of the universe.

Not true on web discussion forums of course, but in some places...

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but in some cultures, what everyone else thinks > what your clan thinks.

And in other cultures it's really quite rude to make you and yours the center of the universe.

Not true on web discussion forums of course, but in some places...

My point is that only ND officials will decide the status of ND football, not opposing fans.

It is only what they think that really counts, not others. It is called self determination.

It isn't up to a popular vote of other fans. They are really irrelevant to that issue.

P.S. What division of the ACC is ND football currently allocated to, the Atlantic or the Coastal?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will soon be 30 years since Notre Dame won a national championship in football....those halycon top dog days are receding into the past with each passing season and will continue to recede as we move forward.

As long as those who make the decisions at the Golden Dome are content with being very good, but not winning the championship, they will remain independent.

The Irish, I think, will not sniff a playoff unless they are undefeated and a couple of conference champs have two losses.

Reaction Score
My point is that only ND officials will decide the status of ND football, not opposing fans.

It is only what they think that really counts, not others. It is called self determination.

It isn't up to a popular vote of other fans. They are really irrelevant to that issue.

P.S. What division of the ACC is ND football currently allocated to, the Atlantic or the Coastal?
If ND officials say the moon is made of cheese do you believe them? Like I said, 95% of your student-athletes wear an ACC logo on their uniforms, including the most visibly successful program, the WCBB team, and must follow ACC rules. Even your independent football team is FORCED to play an, albeit abbreviated, ACC conference schedule. How can you continue to believe ND is independent when they aren't even allowed to choose their opponents? Sounds like someone else is calling the shots there. I guess it all comes down to having your own TV contract and having to play Wake Forest only every three years? Also, how can you be an ND grad and claim you don't believe in any deity? Your school's raison d'etre is rooted in deities.

Reaction Score
@HoopsFan21 Notre Dame gave the ACC all of its sports except the one it wants, football. Why do this? To become the natural landing zone if/when football decides to call home. Until then, ND football gets to showcase their overrated team 5x a season to the ACC; in part to emphasize to them how much the ACC needs their television ratings..
You can say they are affiliated all you want but dont make the mistake in assuming whos holding the cards here. The ACC has no leverage as to when, if, or where Notre Dame eventually locates football or any of their olympic sports.

Reaction Score
The ACC has no leverage as to when, if, or where Notre Dame eventually locates football or any of their olympic sports.
Not quite true. There's a few contracts that limits Notre Dame's options for the next 20 years or so.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So two pages of talk about Notre Dame in a thread about UConn being screwed. Notre Dame will be fine, whatever they choose to do. They will never again have the cache or brand power they did 20-30 years ago, whatever they choose to do.

As for UConn, we are at the mercy of others unfortunately. Football and football attendance has to improve. I do think hockey moving in the right direction is helpful in the eyes of the Big 10, but they aren't doing anything soon.

Reaction Score
UConn Provost Mun Y. Choi to be named president of the University of Missouri. Can one mean one thing: UConn to the SEC!!​

Seriously, I have been watching from a distance and lurking on this board. I hope for he best for you guys, but the scenarios seem very difficult. I just wonder, as others have, if the Big East had seen more clearly the future importance of football, how different UConn's situation and the so-called P5 alignment would have been today.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Sorry I should have said Notre Dame's problem isn't going to be revenue going forward. That was Upstaters point.
So what do think it will be? Access to the playoffs?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I just wonder, as others have, if the Big East had seen more clearly the future importance of football, how different UConn's situation and the so-called P5 alignment would have been today.​

Depends how you look at it:

--If the Big East had decided to focus on football in the 80s/90s, then UConn would currently be in the Atlantic 10 with Villanova/Georgetown/Providence and playing FCS football. In this alternate world, Penn St and Florida State would currently be in the Big East and it would be THE East Coast power conference (and rival the B1G/SEC for conference supremacy and $).

--If the Big East had decided to focus on football in the 00s, then UConn would currently be in the Big East with FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, etc. Essentially, UConn would be in what is currently called the ACC, but it would instead be called the Big East. It would basically be the current ACC, minus Notre Dame and Wake Forest, but including Maryland, Rutgers, and UConn.

--And yet another way to look at it is--if UConn had more clearly seen the future importance of football in the early 80's instead of the late 90's, then UConn would currently either be in the B1G or the ACC.

Lot's of would've/could've s for UConn in conference realignment. Wrong place, wrong time.

But I am also 30 pounds lighter with a full head of hair and am in early retirement in this alternative universe as well. ;)

Reaction Score
Early 1990s an all sports conference (similar to what Paterno proposed) forms with Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Penn State, West Virginia, Rutgers, Boston College, Temple and Virginia Tech.
A few years later, UConn steps up football and joins. Perhaps Maryland and/or UVA are enticed. Would the independent Florida State have been interested? If so, the response to further conference realaignment could have been UCF and South Florida.

I know. I know. If my aunt had a ...

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will think it's a problem when they find themselves not even a top-20 program in revenue after having always been top-5 since the age of television. It doesn't matter if it's actually a 'problem.' They're not going to be OK with not being a top-20 program in generating revenue. Ego is a large part of who they are. They won't let themselves start to fall behind in money. And that will happen if they don't join a league. This isn't 1990. They won't continue to live off weak OTA ratings while the conferences continue to get richer.
I respect your opinion but for a school like ND whose media deal is just a small piece of the pie.,Conference membership carries with it the risk of diminishing the bigger revenue stream. When you join a conference unless you dominate it your just one if the guys.
As much as I love to hate on ND if we could ever get them to play UConn here.
They would either have to move out of state or the ticket prices at the Rent would be through the roof . I can't think of anyone even comparable.
Not Ohio Stste or Alabama.
I never was an ND fan but it's silly to deny their mystique and Independence contributes to that mythology.

Reaction Score
I respect your opinion but for a school like ND whose media deal is just a small piece of the pie.,Conference membership carries with it the risk of diminishing the bigger revenue stream. When you join a conference unless you dominate it your just one if the guys.
As much as I love to hate on ND if we could ever get them to play UConn here.
They would either have to move out of state or the ticket prices at the Rent would be through the roof . I can't think of anyone even comparable.
Not Ohio Stste or Alabama.
I never was an ND fan but it's silly to deny their mystique and Independence contributes to that mythology.

Know how successful businesses go under? Relying on doing things the same way just because it used to always work.

Acting like Notre Dame will always be elite just because of their mystique is the quickest way to become irrelevant. Brand names cease to be brand names after a new generation of people have failed to see continual success. You can't act like a $15 million tv deal is going to continue to cut it when some conferences will be bringing in $35-45 million a year. You can choose to think mystique will continue to cut it. Me? I prefer to be realistic and see the trend of where the money is going.

Reaction Score
I think your definition of independence is different than everyone else's. ND is contractually obligated to play a certain number (half?) of games against ACC teams. When you are forced to play a large number of your games against teams from a single conference you are effectively part of that conference if not officially. Some may prefer to do mental gymnastics to keep on believing in independence, but we all eventually grow up and figure out that a man in a red suit isn't squeezing down millions of chimneys in one night to deliver presents under a decorated pine tree. Besides that, the other 20 ND sports are all full members of the ACC, so even if football was absolutely independent, ND still cannot realistically call themselves independent when 95% of their sports are full members of a conference and are forced to operate under the ACC's rules and regulations. Operating under someone else's rules and regulations is not my idea of independence.
Whoa, I don't know about the man in the red suit, but Santa is able to do it....I still believe!

Reaction Score
Know how successful businesses go under? Relying on doing things the same way just because it used to always work.

Acting like Notre Dame will always be elite just because of their mystique is the quickest way to become irrelevant. Brand names cease to be brand names after a new generation of people have failed to see continual success. You can't act like a $15 million tv deal is going to continue to cut it when some conferences will be bringing in $35-45 million a year. You can choose to think mystique will continue to cut it. Me? I prefer to be realistic and see the trend of where the money is going.

It is not $15 million per year. That was the old NBC deal from 2010-15 (It was $9 million a year before that). I know that the media continues to lazily quote this amount, but ND did not renew the NBC deal for ten years with no increase.

ND sources (private school, no contract details are public) put it at $22-23 million a year for NBC. The ACC /ESPN deal pays ND $6.4 million per year for its partial membership for basketball and Olympic sports. Hockey has its own NBC deal for home games and will get Hockey East money this year and...Big Ten hockey money after this year for away games (a small amount, I know, but its still TV money).

ND will get a full share like the other 14 ACC schools for any ACC Network payments from ESPN. So, ND will be ok with the TV money it gets now and in the future.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame's worry is relevance to recruits not tv money. Their NBC deal was worth it's weight in gold when no one else could say all their home games would be televised nationally. But things have changed. You can watch every Georgia Tech game from Honolulu if you so desire.

Reaction Score
Its hard to say that anyone including Uconn is screwed long term until we see how the fate of The Big 12 is decided. With the embarrassing way that they fumbled expansion and the reality setting in that they will likely miss another playoff this season, the pressure will continue to mount as 2025 approaches. I simply can not see a viable scenario where OU stays in that hell hole of a conference. If/when they jump you will likely see another round of musical chairs play out. Maybe Uconn gets passed over again but maybe not.

JMO but watching the trends of cord cutting and the fast shifting of delivery mediums, I strongly believe that providing a conference with quality year round content will carry as much weight as the number of cable subscribers potentially billable in the states that schools are located in. What schools have the fan bases that could sell a high volume of stand alone BTN Subscriptions nationwide and could be readily available at the time The B1G renegotiates its media deals? Until Delany says the conference is done expanding and is set forever, which he clearly has not, there is still a chance.

Reaction Score
I think OU would go to the SEC (as have Arkansas, Missouri and Texas A&M). The demise of the Big 12 would also solidify the ACC. Kansas and UConn to the Big Ten would look more likely. I don't see how Texas and the Big Ten would be able to be on the same page. If so, then Kansas and Texas to the Big Ten?

Worst case scenario, UConn to the ACC so the ACC can expand their own market and increase revenues.

Reaction Score
I think OU would go to the SEC (as have Arkansas, Missouri and Texas A&M). The demise of the Big 12 would also solidify the ACC. Kansas and UConn to the Big Ten would look more likely. I don't see how Texas and the Big Ten would be able to be on the same page. If so, then Kansas and Texas to the Big Ten?

Worst case scenario, UConn to the ACC so the ACC can expand their own market and increase revenues.
What makes anyone think that the demise of a conference suddenly means UConn gets picked up? Why is UConn more attractive as a conference expansion target just because some other conference breaks up? Wouldn't existing P5 teams being jettisoned from their now defunct conference get more consideration than UConn which would at that point have been a G5 team for about a decade?
Also UConn mascot makes appearance in ESPN's "Erased" Cubs victory commercial:

Reaction Score
What makes anyone think that the demise of a conference suddenly means UConn gets picked up? Why is UConn more attractive as a conference expansion target just because some other conference breaks up? Wouldn't existing P5 teams being jettisoned from their now defunct conference get more consideration than UConn which would at that point have been a G5 team for about a decade?
Also UConn mascot makes appearance in ESPN's "Erased" Cubs victory commercial:

Because we're more attractive than the majority of Big 12 schools.

Reaction Score
UConn's problem is that their most natural fit has no reason to expand. That will likely remain true until Notre Dame goes all-in. And even then, West Virginia is there. And as much as Tobacco Road may say no, it's clear their pull is greatly exaggerated in this whole expansion process.

The B10 is the only other power conference that makes sense. UConn's problem there is Kansas is like the Midwest version of them, only the Jayhawks can serve as a land bridge to Tejas if the B10 decides to go there. If the Pac or SEC take an OU/Tejas contingent, UConn might look more desirable. So it simply is a matter of how the B12 implodes.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
LOL at all the people who think the Big 12 collapse would somehow be a good thing for UConn, or in any way make UConn's position easier to stomach.
Even IF the Big 12 crashes, which it won't that's all forum and clickbait talk in reality, the former members of that conference would still be in a much better position than we are. They still got paid for all the years they were in the big 12, and now they are the likely members to be scooped up. Just more fish for UConn to get passed up for.

Reaction Score
UConn's problem is that their most natural fit has no reason to expand. That will likely remain true until Notre Dame goes all-in. And even then, West Virginia is there. And as much as Tobacco Road may say no, it's clear their pull is greatly exaggerated in this whole expansion process.

The B10 is the only other power conference that makes sense. UConn's problem there is Kansas is like the Midwest version of them, only the Jayhawks can serve as a land bridge to Tejas if the B10 decides to go there. If the Pac or SEC take an OU/Tejas contingent, UConn might look more desirable. So it simply is a matter of how the B12 implodes.
If WVU is there and ND is still refusing to go all in I could see a UConn/WVU pairing to the ACC.

Reaction Score
LOL at all the people who think the Big 12 collapse would somehow be a good thing for UConn, or in any way make UConn's position easier to stomach.
Even IF the Big 12 crashes, which it won't that's all forum and clickbait talk in reality, the former members of that conference would still be in a much better position than we are. They still got paid for all the years they were in the big 12, and now they are the likely members to be scooped up. Just more fish for UConn to get passed up for.
LOL at you for thinking Kansas State and West Virginia are more valuable than us. The best that could happen if the "Big 12" continues without UT and OU is they bring in Houston and Tulsa.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom