For Sale. College Football Stadium on Old Airstrip | Page 6 | The Boneyard

For Sale. College Football Stadium on Old Airstrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You have to live or work in lower Fairfield County to understand what a grind it is every day. I lived in Fairfield and worked in Westport/Norwalk and after 5 years I was ready to lose my mind.

Hartford is nothing compared to the Merritt and 95 from Milford southwest.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Route 8N to the end then 44E to 318 to 219 to 20 to Bradley.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I know that Global Spectrum is working on the AHL affiliation contract right now, but instead of these crazy ideas (selling the Rent or downgrading the football team) concocted by someone on a self imposed BY blackout and a hypocrite, respectively, how about we figure out what GS has in store to improve the Rent an thereby improving the game day experience.

Let’s face it, there is a better chance (times infinity) of the current stadium being expanded and further development of the lot than there is of an on campus stadium seating 60K+ (Which is not enough, by the way). There is too much red tape and bureaucracy to wade through with the affected municipalities on the way to Storrs (let alone at the State House). A new structure will most assuredly cost more than the 2002 price tag of $91 Million, which sets the state up for a MONSTER BATH on any sale. Book value of the current structure alone is just under $68 Million ($91Million - $91M/39 years*10 yrs), not including property taxes, or yearly maintenance costs. The state is considering reintroducing toll roads to close a budget deficit approaching $1/2 billion and people are getting behind a stadium sale only to build another, infinitely more expensive one (plus infrastructure) in quite possibly the most NIMBY towns in New England? If it does happen, I am betting that it won't be in my lifetime.

It doesn't surprise me so much that this topic was brought up. However it is quite surprising that it was taken seriously enough to elicit 7 pages and 128 responses...so far.

Reaction Score
New York and Connecticut are so beholden to the ups and downs of international finance that one never knows what the future holds. You'd think after 2007-08 that the rest of the world would have learned a lesson and stopped recycling its surpluses through the tri-state area, but instead we see jaw-dropping ineptitude everywhere. The euro is about to unravel. The Chinese are experiencing huge growing pains. If the world economy gets back on its feet, it's likely that those surpluses are going to get rerouted to New York and to a lesser degree Connecticut once again. The tax pains the state is experiencing now in a huge recession may disappear practically overnight. I don't feel so sanguine about the rest of the country, but NY and Conn. may very well recover quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom