For Sale. College Football Stadium on Old Airstrip | The Boneyard

For Sale. College Football Stadium on Old Airstrip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the event any NASCAR or MLS officials are checking the message boards, I wanted to let them know we have a PERFECT stadium for either of their needs available ASAP.

Reasons why it is perfect:
1. It seats 40,000 people. This is ideal for MLS, where the average stadium built over the last 5 years seats between 18,000-24,000. Nothing screams big time soccer like a half empty stadium every week.
2. It seats 40,000 people. Average NASCAR attendance is nearly 100,000. We promise that even though 35-38k create mass chaos on the roadways leading into your track, 100,000 will fit quite nicely.
3. Geographic proximity. Ideal for MLS, as they ONLY have teams in Boston and New Jersey. If we learned nothing from the UFL, that market between the two is perfection personified.
4. Geographic proximity. NASCAR has Sprint Cup events in New Hampshire (Loudon), New York (Watkins Glen) and Pennsylvania (Poconos). We all know that the Northeast is the biggest target market for NASCAR. Insert solution.
5. Cost of renovations. For NASCAR, the stadium is far too small at this time. However, look at this as an opportunity to spend a ton of money to renovate nearly the entire stadium to add the track configuration and seating you'd need to make the track profitable.
6. Connecticut's history of selling-out sporting events. Ok, Ok, you've got us there, but we come pretty close! We rarely, if ever, sell out one of the smaller BCS Football stadiums in the country. Attendance for the most dominant Women's Basketball and one of the most dominant Men's Basketball teams have been in a steady decline as well. And the one professional team we've had? We had our diehards, but for the last decade, didn't eclipse averaging 12,000 fans until the final season, when a phony season ticket minimum was announced to keep the team. But we can assure you this is worth your significant investment! Both of you!

Please contact HFD with your offer. He's just looking to get out of the deal, so he'd prefer an offer in writing ASAP.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
1) seattle soccer field is 38,500
2) nascar developers were willing to spend $350-400mil to build a track in ct, buying land and everything included. it cost us 91mil to build the rent correct? how much $ have we made back at this point? sell the rent and the property to break eve investment wise and move on.
3) if a racing developer bought the track he would knock down the rent and build a half road corse half oval like nazereth penn type track but i asume your not a racing head. so i wont bother. the other option would be a bristol type enviroment. both very interesting and doable but w/e the answer is, it has to be something that gets races for sure form the big leagues.
4) take hat $ and rebuild the exact rent(well almost) on campus. were even $ wise with our initial investment back in play for the fball stadium
5) now sell the naming right for 30 years for 30mil or 60mi. 1-2 mil a year. w/e u can actually get for them. take that $ and u want half of it up front and the other half paid off per year cycle. take the up front $ and expand to 50k(from the orginal rent tweak it so its a bit different so 50k equals a nice bowl or something, doesn't have to be the exact rent looks wise but u get my point do something more tcu ish or w/e i dont know)
6) keep the work of dts going and make sure its all coming together as 1 big college town
7)get the pf built as its on its way

right now your even $ wise. you have 50k on campus fball and a mls team in hartford
8) announce a 5mil plan to flip gampel to a 6k rink. take the bubble top off it and steel beam across it. lay a rink down. done. its a completely serviceable and doable rink for the next 30 years of the program. its plenty in the d1 college enviroment to survive and build. students can pack that on weekends and fans can go to games just like if they were bball games still. play all home bball games if hartford for now.
9) now your creating a school-state-base culture. now sell the xl. sell it to some1, i dont care what. monster jam or the circus i dont care. sell the property and knock it down or something. take that $ and redo roads and highways around storrs. even $.
10) now have phase 2 of w/e of dts. more stuff, apts, food places etc etc. but a bball arena(bball only with a very cool and close design) 15k in storrs. be able to use the fball parking lots but make it walkable from dts. figure that out. get some big sponsors like lville did and pull out all the stops. i asume that will run us a good 100mil maybe?

100mil gets u alot and a set up future for a long time without major investment needing to be made.

Reaction Score
All I can say is this. You don't understand how the business world works. You don't know how money works. You are in FAR over your head.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
mls size and cost

houston-22k-91mil
vc-22k-126mil-expandable to 50k
toronto-22k-70mil
seattle-38k-430mil

see what im getting at here???? we can sell the rent for $ back or double for profit. there is major $ to be made and then the balls u have to do so doubles your wallet and lets u build uconn to a height we could have never dreamed of. usa soccer plays games at the rent. something they must like about it if they keep coming back.

this is doable if some 1 would put pants on and go pitch it. it would be a game changer for this state for ever. the connecticut whalers soccer team in the rent. build your mall and eats and w/e and call it whalers place like all u pats fans are creaming over. meanwhile u sell it for 200mil to some rick guy from russia who wants to own a soccer team(cough nets owner) and let him dump $ and have his fun up the road from nyc.

everyone here would rather rip me and talk poop. meanwhile i hope some 1 who matters has actually looked at this and tried.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
All I can say is this. You don't understand how the business world works. You don't know how money works. You are in FAR over your head.

please enlighten me, how does the real world work? u mean i can't put on a nice dress shirt and call the mls from my basement and ask if he wants my football stadium? booohoooo i am going to cry all night, i want candy and popcorn.

its impossible for me to have real $ #'s and stats to throw out here ebcuae i dont have the power to have those, but its pretty obvious this is more than a silly dream if any of u would get your hands out of each others pussiess. i realize this isn't something that happens overnight and on the fly. but i think if u put a real effort in this is very possible.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lastly i dont care if the mls gets not one ticket sold or they sell out everyu night. dont care. i just want whats best for uconn and anything hartford is not it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
earthquake are opening a new stadium that hoilds 20k in 2014. will cost them 60mil.

the size and rent already being built all hekps value to a new mls franchise. 90mil for the rent is a good deal, the state should be able to get much more than that. your also giving a franchise a 1mil+ pop to work with and be the only pro sports team within that bubble. thats a major sticking point for a sport like soccer to build a base.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Dumb and Dumber
MV5BNjQxNTA1NjE5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTMwNzE5._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
will some 1 explain to me why uconn stamford is getting dorms????

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
will some 1 explain to me why uconn stamford is getting dorms????

The talk in the local news over the past year has been the idea that Uconn wants to increase it presence in Fairfield County and NYC. One the ideas to help do this is to build dorms at Uconn Stamford to serve kids from Storrs in the business programs (and perhaps other programs) who would do an internship semester. Adjacent to the UConn Stamford building is the school's parking garage which is need of replacement. I believe what they have in mind is to rebuild the parking garage with new dorms atop. U of Hartford did something similar with a private developer in downtown Hartford a few years ago....parking garage on the bottom and student housing on top.

Incorporating a semester in Fairfield County seems like a great idea to enhance the profile off UConn in the NY area and aid the economy of CT. At the moment, many employers find it a little difficult (more difficult than it should be) to find young / entry level college age talent. It really could be a win-win.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac has the number 1 ranked team in the country for hockey.

UConn needs to fire their hockey coaches damn it. Just sayin'

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
HFD - more on UConn Stamford here:

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...ild-student-housing-4295309.php#photo-4227009

Fairfield County Business News has more stories on this from earlier this year. I'd post a link, but they are locked behind a subscription firewall.

thanks. i like the idea i guess. im just not sold on the way the system is setup. i guess my question is how much exposure can uconn sports get from it as i dont see the connection really being made. but overall a + for the school.

Reaction Score
This is the dumbest thing I may have ever read. We just built the Rent and its in the perfect location for the state. Come on!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
This is the dumbest thing I may have ever read. We just built the Rent and its in the perfect location for the state. Come on!

key in this "for the state" not for uconn, for the state...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
thanks. i like the idea i guess. im just not sold on the way the system is setup. i guess my question is how much exposure can uconn sports get from it as i dont see the connection really being made. but overall a + for the school.

Ugh. Not everything can, nor should, have a direct connection to UConn sports. Here's an anecdote. At my firm in lower Fairfield County with approx 120 onsite employees, I dont think we have 5 UConn alumni. UConn might be influential in Hartford, Manchester, Waterbury, Groton, West Haven, etc but not down here. Not all is lost however. Everyone I speak to around here recognizes that UConn is an improving school academically and a smart choice if you child is unable to ascertain entry to a truly worthy private school. UConn, for its future academically, for the state's ROI in these subsidized educations (ie our tax base) and yes - even for UConn sports, much stronger ties to NYC and Stamford are important. The integration between this end of the state and the UConn Storrs must be greater.

Btw, kids staying in UConn Stamford dorms could easier taken on Manhattan internships given its a 35 min train ride in on the MetroNorth and the dorms, if built where I think they will go, will be just a 10 min walk from the station.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Ugh. Not everything can, nor should, have a direct connection to UConn sports. Here's an anecdote. At my firm in lower Fairfield County with approx 120 onsite employees, I dont think we have 5 UConn alumni. UConn might be influential in Hartford, Manchester, Waterbury, Groton, West Haven, etc but not down here. Not all is lost however. Everyone I speak to around here recognizes that UConn is an improving school academically and a smart choice if you child is unable to ascertain entry to a truly worthy private school. UConn, for its future academically, for the state's ROI in these subsidized educations (ie our tax base) and yes - even for UConn sports, much stronger ties to NYC and Stamford are important. The integration between this end of the state and the UConn Storrs must be greater.

Btw, kids staying in UConn Stamford dorms could easier taken on Manhattan internships given its a 35 min train ride in on the MetroNorth and the dorms, if built where I think they will go, will be just a 10 min walk from the station.

That is exactly why they would build it out there. UConn presence in the NYC market and give the kids a toehold to get to Manhattan.

There are a lot of connections to make and many years to invest in building the UConn brand, that starts by giving the best and brightest a way to show off in the biggest market.

Reaction Score
I think your figures for those MLS stadiums are for "brand new" buildings not a place that is over a decade old. Come on HFD your smarter then this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom