Fixing football attendance in the NBE era. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fixing football attendance in the NBE era.

Reaction Score
Any salvation for UConn football should start with new leadership. How can you justify DB and HCRE 2.0 taking this program forward as an independent after failing to move the needle at all to this point.
DB has NEVER built a program and IMO has fumbled all major decisions with the exception of MBB.
HCRE 2.0 has been an unimaginative failure. Good man, hard worker, but to overcome the abys we are sailing towards will require a imaginative, strong, relatable leadership group. Randy's idea of marketing is to throw the ol' block C out there. I'm sure that really struck a cord with the 18 year olds.
The twitter he threw out there was a bad look. Sgt Shultz, really?
It's stale, it's untenable and wait until the young men of UConn football line up for the transfer portal.
No conference plus no players = no chance.
Granted, this might be one of the most challenging jobs in the modern history of college football given the current landscape, but IMO the current leadership team has given no indication that they are up for a heavier lift than the previous challenges that they have unsuccessfully tackled.

Sorry but your wrong..

2 years to tight the ship isn’t really your time frame is it? After the mess before HCRE I’m giving 2019 a shot before I claim it’s a total failure with RE at the helm..

sure some might transfer but they were probably not buying in or were not playing anyway, or are failing academically or could be just a pull toward a school closer to home for confidential reasons they can’t or don’t want to make public.. not everyone who leaves is HCRE fault..

I’m on board if we can play teams like Rutgers And some other p5 programs.

I’m thinking there is something already done with our football conference and it’s just not being announced yet..and you bet RE knows..
2 more commits this am...even after this news..

Until I hear what the definite decision is.. I’m hopefully optimistic..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish I could see things differently but sadly I see 3-4 more seasons tops. A few more 2-4 win seasons and crowds under 10K will give the administration all the cover they need to kill it off permanently. A sad end to a once promising program, but you can't indefinitely throw good money down a hole with zero chance for return.

Reaction Score
FBS is expanding, not contracting. And there's so much more potential money wise and everything wise to stay FBS. I'll be shocked if they aren't still there in 10 years. Breathe, guys. The sky isn't falling just yet.

Reaction Score
Earth to you - no AAC team has a shot to win the title now. Playoff might expand in a few years, but that's no given.

Think he was talking more win an AAC championship. As much as our fanbase hated the American, and even the good teams weren't a draw, if we were playing for a conference championship the place would be full.

That being said, that's only with the dream that we were going to get good enough to win 10+ games. If we can get back to winning 7 games, and get a few decent home games on our schedule each year, I don't think the attendance will be much different than it would be in the American. 2 big if's though

Reaction Score
There is a combination of things that need to happen. Most off the field and then the heavy lifting on the field.

1) Create an alliance for scheduling purposes - service academies, locals, 1 Florida school like USF, Big 10 conference, etc.

2) Create bowl tie ins

3) Drop seat donation and make season tix affordable

4) Build up on field product focusing on academics and player development and winning.

5) Create a football partnership with SNY. Then we really are New York's Team and if we can get eyeballs on the games, then we can market New York as the home base and build out from there.

6) I truly think the next round of alignment will mortally wound either the AAC (If Houston, UCF or Cinnci leave) or really hurt the Big 12 - (if Oklahoma and Texas leave). Then I think there will be some teams willing to create a new conference and UConn could be at the forefront of starting it with a Northeast base.
Exactly. A list of schools that could be interested in joining a new conference over the next few years:

UConn
UMass
Temple
Army
Marshall
Buffalo
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Navy
Liberty
Old Dominion
UNC-Charlotte
Coastal Carolina

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
But what is the appeal as a fan? Watch a fun offense? Watch a winning independent team? Even if you get a bowl tie in it will likely be the Beefsteak Charlie’s Bowl. No shot to win any sort of championship.

Out already poor recruiting will get markedly worse. 300 people will show up to games. And the team will be hemorrhaging $$$.

Shut it down.
I didn’t say it was perfect. But the “just win” crowd is vastly too simplistic.

Put aside that the AAC fields some competent teams. They are teams that UConn fans never gave two poops about. Expecting fans to care about them was never realistic, coming from games against Pitt and Rutgers and BC and Cuse.

Winning as an independent isn’t exactly worse than losing in the AAC.

That all said, it’s only like a 10% chance of success anyway. Probably less.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
If the 2023 home schedule is

Duke
NC State
Rutgers
Rhode Island
Liberty
UMass

And the road schedule is

BC
BYU
Buffalo
Army
Ball State
Toledo

You're all telling me you won't keep the faith?
U da man.

Reaction Score
the athletic dept needs to have a meeting with the donors & season ticket holders by the end of the summer

Reaction Score
the athletic dept needs to have a meeting with the donors & season ticket holders by the end of the summer

757A9B0B-7B88-4798-82E5-D3C6F650CA11.gif

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
As a basketball first fan and a NBE fan. I’m still going to get the football tickets. The program isn’t dead

No, but it's on life support from now on. I really hope the new president really meant it when he said we should have a football team. If he did, I hope he remains in office for a very long time.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Win above all else, but you need to play teams we actually care about. How we manage to do that now is a mystery. Only the most delusional managed to get excited for Tulsa and ECU.

And I hate to go all TDH cause he sucks but run a gimmick offense.

Great idea, but I'm afraid the words "gimmick" and "Edsall" may never appear in the same sentence. I hope they do.

It will be really interesting to see the marketing campaign they come up with to try and camouflage this atrocity.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
FBS is expanding, not contracting. And there's so much more potential money wise and everything wise to stay FBS.

I gave up drugs decades ago, but I'm really intrigued about what you're smoking.

Reaction Score
I wish I could see things differently but sadly I see 3-4 more seasons tops. A few more 2-4 win seasons and crowds under 10K will give the administration all the cover they need to kill it off permanently. A sad end to a once promising program, but you can't indefinitely throw good money down a hole with zero chance for return.

It was never promising

Reaction Score
Building a stadium in East Hartford was the first big mistake. Sure you can fill in good years but the students need to walk from their dorms to the game. Not take a bus....Period. Students were the future of the program not Alumni in New Haven or Waterbury.

Reaction Score
FSU
Miami
Vetch
SMU
UCF
Florida international
La tech
Southern miss
Uab
Air Force
Arkansas
Coastal Carolina
Louisiana Lafayette

Are the schools that have openings in 2020. Can we find 8 teams to play us?
All available 1st two weeks in September.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Building a stadium in East Hartford was the first big mistake. Sure you can fill in good years but the students need to walk from their dorms to the game. Not take a bus....Period. Students were the future of the program not Alumni in New Haven or Waterbury.

The games could have been played in their dorm rooms these past few years and students still would not have showed up.

Reaction Score
There is a combination of things that need to happen. Most off the field and then the heavy lifting on the field.

1) Create an alliance for scheduling purposes - service academies, locals, 1 Florida school like USF, Big 10 conference, etc.

2) Create bowl tie ins

4) Build up on field product focusing on academics and player development and winning.

5) Create a football partnership with SNY. Then we really are New York's Team and if we can get eyeballs on the games, then we can market New York as the home base and build out from there.

6) I truly think the next round of alignment will mortally wound either the AAC (If Houston, UCF or Cinnci leave) or really hurt the Big 12 - (if Oklahoma and Texas leave). Then I think there will be some teams willing to create a new conference and UConn could be at the forefront of starting it with a Northeast base.

2) Create bowl tie ins

Totally agree. The next round of conference realignment is right around the corner. The state of our football and basketball teams make it likely that UConn would not be considered for a P5 conference. But after the chips fall and teams move, there will be a vacuum which would allow UConn football to fill holes where teams have left. We just need to become competitive in the meantime. Beat some of the big boys and have people take notice.

Reaction Score
They tried to build the stadium in Storrs in the late 90s but the NIMBYs in Mansfield and the ever so-forward looking CT Legislature knocked it down.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They tried to build the stadium in Storrs in the late 90s but the NIMBYs in Mansfield and the ever so-forward looking CT Legislature knocked it down.
It was less about NIMBYism and more about the fact that they over pitched it. Essentially they asked for the Rent, Burton, and Shankman all to be built with State dollars. Then Kraft launched his Hartford dalliance and got everyone thinking that building a college football stadium a half hour off campus was a fine idea. It was uniquely Connecticut sheet storm of stupid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom