First Night | Page 6 | The Boneyard

First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Agree! It was so very frustrating. The positioning of the cameras was off all night.
There is someone in charge of deciding which camera to use at a live event. They are often called the technical director. They can see what each camera is showing and give the command to switch camera. It isn’t the fault of the camerman. That was either a student production with FSB sharing the feed in which case the students have a lot to learn or an FSB person in which case they should find another line of work.

2 major bad decisions. Not showing the action while coach interviews were being done, the interviews could have been done off camera, and during the 3 point contest not including the basket in every shot. Close up of shooters are pretty useless. Hope they will learn.

Reaction Score
I say don't broadcast it at all. Problem solved.
Calm Down GIF by CBS
:):D

Reaction Score
My goodness, we’re an entitled bunch. We don’t just want what we want, it has to be free of charge and presented to our specifications. :(
You know us well, Nan.;) I do believe many of us truly appreciate having access... our point is that, if they're going to make it accessible, why not do it well (to represent a great program at its best)?

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't this First Night a production of WFSB? Joe Zone had more airtime than players. Couldn't figure out the coaches interviews, how hard can it be to have the camera on the players (this was their night after all) and have the interview in background.
Even Geno, when being interviewed, looked away to watch what was going on. Ugh!

Reaction Score
I kept yelling at the TV -"Show the players". It didn't help til the 3-pt contest. Even then, they sometimes only showed the shooter and not the basket. I had to guess if it went in based on the crowd reaction.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Jana was wearing a boot. Check out the First Night picture of Paige. You can just barely see the tape on her left thumb. Compare that to the huge tape job on her wrist and thumb from a few days ago.

Interesting criticisms from the TV audience on there being too much talk from the coaches. While those of us at Gampel, unlike in other years, heard nothing from the coaches.
There was 5 words pertaining to the answer to the question, before the post morphed into a Paige injury post, love her to death but seeing Jana walking ( not dancing) as well as she was I was truly impressed and wondered where she was in her rehab regiment.

Reaction Score
IMO recently it feels like being proud of your work/job has taken a back seat to get it done and let the chips fall where they may!
I'm old fashioned I believe that whatever a person does should be done to the best of their ability!
I appreciate them showing First Night but prepare for everything!
As I stated earlier in this thread I liked it better when the women's and men's teams had separate First Nights!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IMO recently it feels like being proud of your work/job has taken a back seat to get it done and let the chips fall where they may!
I'm old fashioned I believe that whatever a person does should be done to the best of their ability!
I appreciate them showing First Night but prepare for everything!
As I stated earlier in this thread I liked it better when the women's and men's teams had separate First Nights!
The Athletic Department lost money last year. We’re lucky we got any kind of production at all, much less two. Maybe donors should open their wallets a little wider

Reaction Score
My goodness, we’re an entitled bunch. We don’t just want what we want, it has to be free of charge and presented to our specifications. :(

Ummm, did you make this post wearing a Friar hat?

Reaction Score
I had a dream last night. In it, this talented group of recruits were bonding and having a great time with each other. Then one of them gets their attention and says "I think we're all thinking the same thing. I wonder if there will be enough room on the wall for all of our names and numbers when we graduate!" Then I woke up with a smile on my face. That did take some explaining to do for the wife though.:oops:

Reaction Score
I have to join the critics of the broadcast. Why broadcast First Night if you're not going to show First Night?

Reaction Score
You know us well, Nan.;) I do believe many of us truly appreciate having access... our point is that, if they're going to make it accessible, why not do it well (to represent a great program at its best)?
Like Deacon I believe many of us that are critical of the production appreciate having access, but also IMO understand that it is not done by the basketball departments, and it is a low budget scenario.

Understanding all of that, whether it should or not, it is a reflection on the program. I know it's mostly for the players and the fans, but it is also a part of the recruiting pitch, not just for those prospective recruits in attendance like Sarah and Adrianna, but also for many many more potential Uconn stars who may be watching the same thing. Opposing coaches going after the same players could even use it against us. First night productions are part of the competitive process and if we have them we should do it well.

Speaking just for myself, I would gladly give up the ability to view First Night if it helped the program. But I don't think not broadcasting it is the answer. Done right, it is clearly a plus to the program, a pretty significant one, so how do we get there?

I thought this one was actually better than prior versions, but that is like going on a scale of 1-10 from a 1 to 2, or 2 to 3. There is no reason to give the people running this another chance, it is a multi-year failure. It may be to have fun and be mostly for players and fans, but experienced event planner types should run it not some student organization or whoever does it now.

The basketball administrations should not be bystanders, but have major input over the whole production, still emphasizing this is a fun event for students and fans, but we want it done right because it still impacts the Uconn brand. I'm sure there are many logistic challenges I am unaware of, but this needs a major overhaul, not some tweaking around the edges.

I think most of the people here, that are critical of parts of this production, are huge fans that have Uconn's best interests at heart, and worry that it may even have a negative effect on the program if it is not fixed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
OMG, I have to TOTALLY agree with @HuskyNan here about the sheer entitlement so many of you are displaying about the effort of the production. Let's have a little fact check for you: this is an entirely student production with some oversight. Wake up call to all of you that this is a UNIVERSITY who is teaching and giving real world experience to the students. @Blond D. , @Audi1954 @The deacon @cohenzone and @mbr33ct maybe each of you needs to reread your posts and realize how "entitled" they all sound as I can only hope you truly do not mean that criticism. And also as Nan says, feel free to donate to the Athletic Department to pay something forward for all the joy and entertainment that is gained with these teams.

My daughter graduated this past May and went last night to see all these fellow students who helped produce this effort, so yeah, I am a bit irritated that all of you want a "Superbowl Production" quality from 19, 20 and 21 year olds. The show was free, you got to see a scrimmage and build upon the excitement for the up coming year and yet you want to complain?
Season 9 No GIF by The Office

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
OMG, I have to TOTALLY agree with @HuskyNan here about the sheer entitlement so many of you are displaying about the effort of the production. Let's have a little fact check for you: this is an entirely student production with some oversight. Wake up call to all of you that this is a UNIVERSITY who is teaching and giving real world experience to the students. @Blond D. , @Audi1954 @The deacon @cohenzone and @mbr33ct maybe each of you needs to reread your posts and realize how "entitled" they all sound as I can only hope you truly do not mean that criticism. And also as Nan says, feel free to donate to the Athletic Department to pay something forward for all the joy and entertainment that is gained with these teams.

My daughter graduated this past May and went last night to see all these fellow students who helped produce this effort, so yeah, I am a bit irritated that all of you want a "Superbowl Production" quality from 19, 20 and 21 year olds. The show was free, you got to see a scrimmage and build upon the excitement for the up coming year and yet you want to complain?
My son is very successful TV producer with Emmys who in college had a thorough understanding of the product he was producing. Actually had it in hs. It has zero to do with entitlement. It actually doesn’t require Super Bowl level quality to know what camera to use. Nobody is knocking the intent or the effort. A few tweaks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well there was a chest bump between Donovan and Azzi that had me worried. :D
Yeah, Donovan has that injured foot. Geno's got to tell his girls to take it easy on the guys.

Reaction Score

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't this First Night a production of WFSB? Joe Zone had more airtime than players. Couldn't figure out the coaches interviews, how hard can it be to have the camera on the players (this was their night after all) and have the interview in background.
I'm re-reading my post above, I wrote what I saw and commented on it. As for the highlighted portion of my post, even Geno stopped the interview in progress and wanting to watch the 3-point shooting contest himself.

Reaction Score
Jana was wearing a boot. Check out the First Night picture of Paige. You can just barely see the tape on her left thumb. Compare that to the huge tape job on her wrist and thumb from a few days ago.

Interesting criticisms from the TV audience on there being too much talk from the coaches. While those of us at Gampel, unlike in other years, heard nothing from the coaches.
Disappointed we won't see Jana but looking forward to seeing Brady this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr