First Night Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

First Night Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Edwards showed real quickness and ball-handling skills, but I think she'll come along slowly.

Williams looks like someone who will need time to remove the rust of surgery and missed games.

I wish Ekmark had looked quicker and more athletic. I don't really see a Faris comparison there. I think her shot will be her calling card and easily her biggest strength.

Nurse looked very quick, mobile, athletic, and confident. We had already seen her pitbull style on defense with Canada. Her shooting probably needs work, but she seems most likely to contribute early.

You may be thinking of Courtney now vs. Kelly as she left; judgement a little premature IMO.

Reaction Score
Dave O'Brien on the Midnight Madness at Kentucky said they do it the best. It couldn't have been that great, they didn't have any new banners to raise!

I am not a big Kentucky fan and I hate Calipari but I have to admit that 20.000 people paying 25 plus dollars each for tickets to a scrimmage is pretty crazy.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You may be thinking of Courtney now vs. Kelly as she left; judgement a little premature IMO.

I'm talking about in terms of agility and athleticism. Faris always had those things which is part of the reason she was so good at compiling stats in rebounds, steals, and even blocks.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Having just returned from First Night after watching the scrimmage, I agree with Kara Lawson that Kia Nurse is currently the best performer among the freshmen. Without retracting anything I said about her after watching her World Championship games on TV (and in fact feeling more strongly about my claim that her "above the shoulders" contribution is her biggest strength), I do think she is more ready than the other three freshmen to make an immediate contribution. (Hardly a surprise, given how she spent her summer.) She seemed to be always in the right place, pushing the tempo, which was also the case in the World Championships.

I agree with those who said that Courtney seems slow, but she seems to be strong. I still think there is a chance that she will be the fourth player in the paint, behind Kiah / Stewie / Morgan. Given her background, she should be poised, but I did not observe that after watching her badly miss a couple of jump shots that I have to believe she would normally make.

Geno seemed to be limiting Gabby's playing time in the scrimmage even more than the other players, which is understandable if she hasn't been cleared for 5-on-5 or has just been cleared. It was hard to see her potential with such limited play.

I watched Sadie Edwards but did not observe anything that was especially good or bad, so I remain neutral about her.

I think Natalie Butler will be ready when UConn needs her following Kiah's graduation.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Did they ever have the 3 Pt shooting contest? I heard it discussed but never saw it aired.

Reaction Score
I was fortunate enough to be sitting on the aisle that the girls were coming down
during their introductions and so was able to exchange medium-high fives with
each of the girls. Moriah was full of pizzazz and cute as a button.

Just before the player introductions, someone came down to where I was sitting and
asked if anyone would give up their light stick for Stewie. Amazingly, I was the only
one who offered, so Stewie was carrying my light stick when she came down the
aisle. I felt honored. (it doesn't take much to please a geezer).

Also I noticed a small tattoo grouping on the back of Gabby's left shoulder, so I
guess the no visible tats rule may be history (as long as they're not too obvious -
and hers aren't).

There seemed to be some confusion as they were trying to get the 3 point competition
going, and the guy who seemed to be directing the proceedings told the m.c. to forget
it. My guess is that they were running behind schedule and didn't want to run too
late.

Last edited:

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
My favorite moment was MoJeff guarding Brimah. He is only about double her size. I enjoyed seeing Kiah go 1-2 behind the arc (that felt weird typing that). It is going to be great seeing her blossom. She doesn't quit.

Reaction Score
I like the old dog that looks friendly and looks like he would like to be pet instead of biting off your hand lol.

I think the brilliance of the logo is that it is able to depict both your description and an image of happy smiling husky as well. It's a matter of perspective. Personally the latter is what I tend to see, but that may be from my own personal experience with actual huskies. It took awhile to adjust, but I thought it looked awesome tonight with the lighting.

Reaction Score
Edwards showed real quickness and ball-handling skills, but I think she'll come along slowly.

Williams looks like someone who will need time to remove the rust of surgery and missed games.

I wish Ekmark had looked quicker and more athletic. I don't really see a Faris comparison there. I think her shot will be her calling card and easily her biggest strength.

Nurse looked very quick, mobile, athletic, and confident. We had already seen her pitbull style on defense with Canada. Her shooting probably needs work, but she seems most likely to contribute early.

Sluconn, as usual I agree with you just about 100%.

Reaction Score
My favorite moment was MoJeff guarding Brimah. He is only about double her size. I enjoyed seeing Kiah go 1-2 behind the arc (that felt weird typing that). It is going to be great seeing her blossom. She doesn't quit.
MoJeff guarding Brimah was a laugh out loud moment, and I think Brimah got a kick out of it too. MoJeff = NoFear

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Nurse looked spectacular! She led some fast breaks at what looked like full speed- and then hit another gear when they found her with the pass. She got shots off and scored, to beat the guys early that were really really difficult at full tilt. She looks like she's ready to start. Morgan said she is 100% healthy. Kiah said she is ready to kick butt this year- full time!
The night was done right- it was rockin high energy all night! And it flowed!!!
Ray Allen stayed all night -and was absolutely fantastic!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Loved every aspect of the show. Ray Allen - talk about a role model for a whole sport, let alone university. Ditto Sue B - (er, Sue I don't know about the modified biker chick outfit ;)). Loved Kiah's demeanor - it shouts I BELONG. Kia - well everyone pretty much agrees now, right? She's more than a keeper. Surprised no leg brace for Morgan but suspect it will be on come game time. Wanna get a big smile and feel real good about UConn? Take in the whole Courant photo shoot of the students and fans of UConn. It is great.:):)

Reaction Score
Nurse looked spectacular! She led some fast breaks at what looked like full speed- and then hit another gear when they found her with the pass. She got shots off and scored, to beat the guys early that were really really difficult at full tilt. She looks like she's ready to start. Morgan said she is 100% healthy. Kiah said she is ready to kick butt this year- full time!
The night was done right- it was rockin high energy all night! And it flowed!!!
Ray Allen stayed all night -and was absolutely fantastic!

Wow on Kiah Nurse. Kids going to be the next great one - can she shoot from the perimeter? If and when she can she will be really special. Will be fought for Geno to keep her off the court!

(Don't think the guys were close to full tilt but nonetheless impressive going to the basket)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow on Kiah Nurse. Kids going to be the next great one - can she shoot from the perimeter? If and when she can she will be really special. Will be fought for Geno to keep her off the court!

(Don't think the guys were close to full tilt but nonetheless impressive going to the basket)
Well - we all know Kia Nurse can shoot from three ... the issue as always can she shoot a high percentage from 3!!!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that they were using a men's ball. That should explain the pile of air balls and poor shots. Courtney struggled but I'd chalk that up to the ball. If I remember right even Stewie had an airball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that they were using a men's ball. That should explain the pile of air balls and poor shots. Courtney struggled but I'd chalk that up to the ball. If I remember right even Stewie had an airball.
I think Stewart definitely was fouled on the arm by Polly on that air ball! At least that was what Stewart is saying!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno tells it like it is....

LINK
Geno... "There are places where basketball is really really important, and there are places where basketball is great... And then there's UCONN"... cue big grin!

Reaction Score

For those of us who were watching on ESPN in New York it was frustrating because they kept cutting away to practices at other men's programs. Frankly, the men at UConn were so busy controlling the ball they really didn't get the women the ball all that much, so it's hard for those of us who weren't there in Storrs to get ANY sort of take on anyone save Kia Nurse, who was impressive. I watched the national title game again last night and I had forgotten how horribly Mo Jeff and Bria shot that night, yet we won easily. They shot a combined 6/23. There should be a lot of open looks in our offense this year for the 2 guard. If Courtney is anywhere near the sniper we've been told she is, and it's been said her range is pretty extensive, Geno may be willing to sacrifice some quickness defensively to gain her shot and stretch opposing defenses. Saniya is such a wild card this year. If she reverts back to her high school form shooting Geno will have such a deep bench none of the starters will need to play ridiculous minutes this season. I just keep seeing KML on one side of the court and Courtney on the other , and good luck rotating fast enough to get to them if you pack the defense in on Kiah, Morgan and Breanna. Did anyone watch warmups? How did our lady freshmen look shooting in warmups?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Just so you guys know the replay of the UConn only first night from soup to nuts is on espn3.

Ray Allen is totally awesome as is Donny Marshall. I was so pleased to see Taliek Brown bring down a trophy, and my favorite guy Ricky Moore as an assistant coach at UConn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom