Fired-Up Diaco Wants To Grow Attendance Along With UConn Football Program (M. Anthony) | The Boneyard

Fired-Up Diaco Wants To Grow Attendance Along With UConn Football Program (M. Anthony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Google title if needed: Fired-Up Diaco Wants To Grow Attendance Along With UConn Football Program

>>According to numbers provided Wednesday by UConn, about 12,000 season tickets have been "sold and distributed." That is slightly ahead of sales last year at this time.

Student season tickets, about 4,000 of them distributed over the summer, are not included. Most season ticket sales take place in July and August.<<

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Google title if needed: Fired-Up Diaco Wants To Grow Attendance Along With UConn Football Program

>>According to numbers provided Wednesday by UConn, about 12,000 season tickets have been "sold and distributed." That is slightly ahead of sales last year at this time.

Student season tickets, about 4,000 of them distributed over the summer, are not included. Most season ticket sales take place in July and August.<<

So we are 1,000 short of last year, already? Sounds good.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
So we are 1,000 short of last year, already? Sounds good.

Was last year's total 13k? The article was confusing because it said we were only slightly ahead of last year's pace and that most tickets are sold in July and August, but if we're only 1k short of last year's total how could we only be slightly outpacing sales from this time last year?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Wait, it says that we had 17k season ticket holders last year. That doesn't sound right though...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was last year's total 13k? The article was confusing because it said we were only slightly ahead of last year's pace and that most tickets are sold in July and August, but if we're only 1k short of last year's total how could we only be slightly outpacing sales from this time last year?

Classic Mike Anthony you have to edit yourself. He means the student tickets are bought during the summer.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's simple. Win and play an attractive schedule. BD is in charge of #1. The other will be decided elsewhere.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Classic Mike Anthony you have to edit yourself. He means the student tickets are bought during the summer.

Okay, I thought maybe that was what he intended. Thanks.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Best schedule we've had since 2013. Hard to beat Michigan and Edsall's Maryland at home as well as Rutty and Louisville.

True but this might go a lot better.... it's not like that Rutgers game was super attractive at 1-9.

Reaction Score
I happen to think we have a great schedule this year, despite our conference... Hope people see it the same way.
Mike, can I get some of what you have? You say we have a great schedule despite of our conference? :confused: This dismisses eight of our twelve games. With Maine as the opener out of conference I find your statement difficult to comprehend. :)
ESPN has us 84th in strength of schedule. Nothing I would call great. NO slander here Mike, just not sure of how you perceive what is great. Then again you got a half dozen likes for a statement that contradicts itself...
That's hard to do! OOOOPs forgot we are on The Boneyard....:D
ESPN Football Power Index - 2016 - ESPN

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Mike, can I get some of what you have? You say we have a great schedule despite of our conference? :confused: This dismisses eight of our twelve games. With Maine as the opener out of conference I find your statement difficult to comprehend. :)
ESPN has us 84th in strength of schedule. Nothing I would call great. NO slander here Mike, just not sure of how you perceive what is great. Then again you got a half dozen likes for a statement that contradicts itself...
Maine : the typical "meh" opener. Fine.
Navy/Virginia/Cuse/Houston/Cinci - that's a really nice stretch of games. I'm considering heading down for the Navy game, actively looking forward to the Rent for Virginia Cuse and Cinci... Houston I won't be attending but it should be a very good game.
USF - almost included them in the "nice" stretch above. I like beating them, might get down for this one.
UCF - it's homecoming and as dumb as our invented trophy is, dammit I want to defend it.
ECU - I enjoyed the game there a year and a half ago... More due to friends being down there, I suppose, than the actual matchup... Still a good time though.
Temple - I still have a hard time accepting that we play them but they were very good last year. Hopefully less so this year.
BC - if you can't get up for this game I don't know what to tell you.
Tulane - meh.

Given what we've got to work with in conference - that's pretty good. Of course I want out of the AAC as soon as the next guy so that the schedule is even better but there's plenty to like on our slate this year.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Not to diminish the point of the thread- but the schedule this year is actually awesome both home and away.

Maine- home opener. Entertaining.

The 3 ACC games need no explanation.

Navy is not only a good football program but an extremely intriguing opponent. Especially since any opportunity to see a Service Academy in their home stadium is a must watch.

UCF (2014) and Houston (2015) both have won BCS/NY6 bowls in the past 2 years and we have a trophy with one

Love playing against Cincy/USF since they're the holdovers with us. Wish disco would've created the trophy against Cincy instead of ucf

ECU historically has been a very solid member and if it weren't for the pro basketball persona (and 8 non football playing schools) in the Big East I think they would've been an opponent of ours since day 1 in FBS

Temple is going to be good again this year and is a local team at home

Tulane- got nothing for you here. Not every game gets us fired up but we can possibly be needing a W here for bowl eligibility

You're not going to find a schedule much better than that from a local interest standpoint, especially in our predicament currently. For as much as we hate the American the football has been essentially top notch since we've joined and I hope we keep building our profile to add to the resume of the league

Reaction Score
If you build it, they will come.

I would have loved to play football with Bob Diaco.

Guy has a literal fireball shooting out his ass at all times.
I think you mean "a figurative fireball". :cool:

fig·ur·a·tive
ˈfiɡyərədiv/
adjective
  1. 1.
    departing from a literal use of words; metaphorical.
    "gold, in the figurative language of the people, was “the tears wept by the sun.”"
    synonyms: metaphorical, nonliteral, symbolic, allegorical, representative, emblematic
    "the example given was meant to be figurative"
  2. 2.
    (of an artist or work of art) representing forms that are recognizably derived from life.

Reaction Score
I think you mean "a figurative fireball". :cool:

fig·ur·a·tive
ˈfiɡyərədiv/
adjective
  1. 1.
    departing from a literal use of words; metaphorical.
    "gold, in the figurative language of the people, was “the tears wept by the sun.”"
    synonyms: metaphorical, nonliteral, symbolic, allegorical, representative, emblematic
    "the example given was meant to be figurative"
  2. 2.
    (of an artist or work of art) representing forms that are recognizably derived from life.

No, it's literal. LOL. However you want to look at it, the guy has a motor like he's shooting fire out his ass, and until we have a regularly winnign team that it isn't drawing, there is no problem with attendance really - we're not there yet, I hope that this season, we can block worth something, on O, and get on a roll early and generate some interest behind the hard cores. UCONN fans, come for UCONN - not the competition - and they expect winners.

Reaction Score
No, it's literal. LOL. However you want to look at it, the guy has a motor like he's shooting fire out his ass, and until we have a regularly winnign team that it isn't drawing, there is no problem with attendance really - we're not there yet, I hope that this season, we can block worth something, on O, and get on a roll early and generate some interest behind the hard cores. UCONN fans, come for UCONN - not the competition - and they expect winners.
Amen, Brother.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
This schedule is going to be fun to watch. I have the BC game circled as a UCONN home game. We are going to drop of load of white and national flag blue all over Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
My next door work neighbor is a UConn alum and huge men's basketball fan. I'd say he has followed the football program from afar -- going to games when the Rent first opened but hasn't been back since the floor fell out during the PP years. His perception of Diaco was that he made a lot of mistakes in Year 1 and did better in Year 2. He is cautiously optimistic about this year, but told me this morning that the home schedule stinks, in that there are either games that we going to win by a lot or lose by a lot. I told him that I thought the home slate was strong and that we were going to be at least competitive in each game. He straight up said that he thought Virginia and Syracuse would blow us out. I straight up disagreed and said that if the defense continues on its upward trajectory and the offense gels, the Virginia game would be a barnburner and we would beat Syracuse (and BC on the road.)

I bring this up because this is further evidence to me how important this year is, especially in early September. I'm hoping we manhandle FCS Maine and then beat a rebuilding Navy, looking good doing it. Then if we beat Virginia, the "show me" fans will start jumping on the bandwagon and the Rent will rock for Syracuse and beyond.

At least that is my vision. So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So you attacked the Boneyard and the schedule in one post. ESPN is not the source to understand football or quite frankly, anything else. the ESPN bias is well documented. But more importantly, fans want to believe their team has a chance. The schedule is a mix of good teams, wins and schools fans here remember us owning a few years ago. No one is expecting Alabama, Auburn and Michigan in the same year right now. But this schedule and the uptick in the team gives real UCONN fans a chance to believe we can win most of these games and beat teams we have a disdain for. That makes this a very good schedule for UCONN and their fans.

Reaction Score

Could also be that you're lost. Again.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are a number of interesting games on the schedule. Interesting opponents? Not really after you get past the revenge tour.

Reaction Score
Maine : the typical "meh" opener. Fine.
Navy/Virginia/Cuse/Houston/Cinci - that's a really nice stretch of games. I'm considering heading down for the Navy game, actively looking forward to the Rent for Virginia Cuse and Cinci... Houston I won't be attending but it should be a very good game.
USF - almost included them in the "nice" stretch above. I like beating them, might get down for this one.
UCF - it's homecoming and as dumb as our invented trophy is, dammit I want to defend it.
ECU - I enjoyed the game there a year and a half ago... More due to friends being down there, I suppose, than the actual matchup... Still a good time though.
Temple - I still have a hard time accepting that we play them but they were very good last year. Hopefully less so this year.
BC - if you can't get up for this game I don't know what to tell you.
Tulane - meh.

Given what we've got to work with in conference - that's pretty good. Of course I want out of the AAC as soon as the next guy so that the schedule is even better but there's plenty to like on our slate this year.

Nice run down, glad to see you really do not have the disdain for our entire conference as originally implied. Envious of the amount of away games you are able to attend but glad you can rep us so well out of town. I will make and enjoy every home game, Boston will be the only away game I can do.
On the topic of Temple, I hope they are better this year and we beat them by three scores showing we are also.
BC is what it is...I have been an advocate for years of playing them every year home and home on the Saturday of Thanksgiving week end. This for what I would call The New England Cup.

Reaction Score
Nice run down, glad to see you really do not have the disdain for our entire conference as originally implied. Envious of the amount of away games you are able to attend but glad you can rep us so well out of town. I will make and enjoy every home game, Boston will be the only away game I can do.
On the topic of Temple, I hope they are better this year and we beat them by three scores showing we are also.
BC is what it is...I have been an advocate for years of playing them every year home and home on the Saturday of Thanksgiving week end. This for what I would call The New England Cup.

Do you hang around w/ Chief?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Temple is better than last year and UConn is 3 touchdowns better than Temple we will need to start a list of coaches to replace Diaco.

Give me PJ Fleck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99