Finishing at the rim | The Boneyard

Finishing at the rim

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Have we ever had a team that didn’t have a perimeter guy who was money finishing at the rim? I mean Ben, Rudy/Marcus, Price/Dyson, Kemba, Bazz, Lamb, Boatright, Jalen, Bouknight. These guys made getting to the rim and finishing look easy. Something that doesn’t seem easy to guys on this team.

Reaction Score
Tyrese Martin shooting 51% on 2 point shots this year.

Ben Gordon’s best year was 47%
Rudy Gay’s best year was 50%
AJ Price’s best year was 46%
Jerome Dyson’s best year was 46%
Kemba’s best year was 52%
Shabazzs best year was 49%
Boatright’s best year was 49%
Bouknights best year was 53%
Jalen’s best year was 56%
Lamb’s was 60%

Only two of the players you listed are arguably much better finishers around the rim than Martin. Revisionist history is a wonderful thing.

Reaction Score
It’s frustrating because these guys really have all the talent. A guy like Andre Jackson with his athleticism and ability has no excuse not being able to be waaaaay better at getting to and finishing at the rim.

Hurley addressed that. In high school he would just dunk over guys so that is a skill he never learned. He's just beginning to figure it out.

Reaction Score
Lots of missed bunnies last year, but that as a problem had receded this season. Hopefully just a flare up.

Reaction Score

Lamb’s was 60%

Only two of the players you listed are arguably much better finishers around the rim than Martin. Revisionist history is a wonderful thing.
To expand on this, on actual FG% at the rim Martin is shooting 61.8% at the rim this year and 54.4% last year. Data only goes back to 2013-14 so that's as far back as I could go.

Bouknight - 65.8% last year, 58.3% freshman

Adams - 63.2%, 54.7%, 52.9%, 54.9%

Boatright - 57.5%, 46.8%

Shabazz - 53.0%

Reaction Score
To expand on this, on actual FG% at the rim Martin is shooting 61.8% at the rim this year and 54.4% last year. Data only goes back to 2013-14 so that's as far back as I could go.

Boatright - 57.5%, 46.8%

Shabazz - 53.0%
Just came here to post something similar. Here are stats from the past two years (link is for this year).

Attachments

• C39B0C59-E5A2-4BA5-B289-37B9FA44020B.jpeg
    C39B0C59-E5A2-4BA5-B289-37B9FA44020B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 432DD16F-874F-46A5-A1FE-945095408F24.jpeg
    432DD16F-874F-46A5-A1FE-945095408F24.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think sometimes we watch too many old highlights, but I bet those players missed a ton.

But to be honest I haven’t seen a Ben Gordon miss in like 17 years.
Maybe. I remember having the feeling of watching those guys and being comfortable whenever watching them try to beat their man off the dribble and go up. Just being able to create their own bucket in general.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hurley addressed that. In high school he would just dunk over guys so that is a skill he never learned. He's just beginning to figure it out.
He NEEDS camps next summer where he can spend time doing that. The jumpshot is flowing. With all that talent he just has to learn how to be able to use it around the rim. His HS highlights were ridiculous with the way he can just dunk on guys. Lol. There’d be some plays where he’d blow an easy layup and use it as an off the glass alley oop.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Boatright - 57.5%, 46.8%

Shabazz - 53.0%
Tyrese Martin is SO much better than he was last year. His jump shot is money at this point. I wouldn’t call him an acrobatic finisher like all of those guys though. That and being able to pass the ball are things that’s keeping him from being an NBA talent because he does everything else well. Do we really think Tyrese is better at finishing at the rim than any of those guys this year?

Reaction Score
Tyrese Martin is SO much better than he was last year. His jump shot is money at this point. I wouldn’t call him an acrobatic finisher like all of those guys though. That and being able to pass the ball are things that’s keeping him from being an NBA talent because he does everything else well. Do we really think Tyrese is better at finishing at the rim than any of those guys this year?
If you had asked me before I looked at the stats I might have said no, but he is objectively shooting better at the rim than those guys. I also don't think it's a perfect comparison since his are generally off rebounds and the others are creating their own shot off the dribble

Reaction Score
If you had asked me before I looked at the stats I might have said no, but he is objectively shooting better at the rim than those guys. I also don't think it's a perfect comparison since his are generally off rebounds and the others are creating their own shot off the dribble
Yeah martin is taking different kinds of shots at the rim then the penetrators like bouk et al did. They aren’t off the dribble and over/around a defender. Not as high a degree of difficulty.

The number of bunnies martin missed at the rim last year was maddening but he’s improved upon that for sure.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

Lamb’s was 60%

But I'll take Kemba's best two weeks.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah I think that context is important there. Us not being great at finishing at the rim off the dribble can hurt our transition offense too. A lot of those guys named were unstoppable in the open court on a fast break.

Gaffney is probably our most dynamic finisher if he could actually finish his layups.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think that context is important there. Us not being great at finishing at the rim off the dribble can hurt our transition offense too. A lot of those guys named were unstoppable in the open court on a fast break.

Gaffney is probably our most dynamic finisher if he could actually finish his layups.
Gaffney? What is your definition of a dynamic finisher?

Reaction Score
One difference is that Cole, even when he misses, gets to the foul line and makes the other team pay. Some of our other slashers need to follow that story line.
As other 3 point shooting comes and goes, this slashing is the key for us. We have the tools. Keep doing it! We also have the offensive rebounders to help on misses and that can be more of a downer for the opponent.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
other than sanogo and Whaley, it’s bad. Really bad.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Maybe. I remember having the feeling of watching those guys and being comfortable whenever watching them try to beat their man off the dribble and go up. Just being able to create their own bucket in general.
and often getting fouled and being very tough from the free throw line. I see some of this from Cole who is really stepping up; doing all the little and not so little things (taking charges). Invincible from the line. Kid has a heart for the game and team. Hope he has a great end to his career with a run at the end of the year. But he is going to need other guys to think on the court and cut down on TO's and step up with toughness.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Lamb’s was 60%

Jalen Adams was amazing finishing at the rim. I just wish he had learned how to get fouled when doing it. Such exceptional body control that he avoided it.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams was a genius finishing at the rim.

Kidding right? He never finished strong if contact was coming he was fading. Martin twice the finisher, maybe not as creative but stronger to the rim.

Reaction Score

I agree. The stats might be skewed. I feel like every time Martin goes for a layup he misses, but then gets his own OR and puts it in. There’s 50% right there. Do we care? Absolutely not. But I wouldn’t just look at the percentage and say….he shoots 50%. Stats can be deceiving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom