Finishing at the rim | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Finishing at the rim

Reaction Score
I agree. The stats might be skewed. I feel like every time Martin goes for a layup he misses, but then gets his own OR and puts it in. There’s 50% right there. Do we care? Absolutely not. But I wouldn’t just look at the percentage and say….he shoots 50%. Stats can be deceiving.
You are definitely making an important point about the distinction between a good shooting team and a good offensive team. Points per possession (or more advanced offensive metrics) is a much better indicator of offensive talent than just shooting percentage. Per KenPom, we are 156th in effective FG%, 210th in 2-PT FG%, and 81st in 3-PT%, but 20th in adjusted offensive efficiency. A big part of that is because we are 2nd in the country in offensive rebounding percentage. We’re also solidly above average in terms of getting to the line and not turning the ball over. Are we susceptible to a team that keeps us off the offensive glass on a night when our shots don’t fall? Probably. Still, despite looking bad every few games, we are a much better offensive team than some people give us credit for.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don’t get why we don’t run more stuff for Martin in the half court. Run him off screens get him heading to the basket. He’s so tough he can draw fouls at a high clip seeking contact at the rim.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Andre had one good drive & layup last night and all I could think was "more please" - he's got the skill to do it but he almost always pulls up short. He needs to learn to love the contact more?

Not sure why Whaley isn't taking shots? Considering our ORing putting it in the air is good IMO (see the Tyrese discussion above).

Cole, man we owe this kid. Two charges last night? I think that puts him around a dozen or so this year, got to be. If anyone isn't afraid it's this guy.

Reaction Score
Cole, man we owe this kid. Two charges last night? I think that puts him around a dozen or so this year, got to be. If anyone isn't afraid it's this guy.
17 on the year for Cole, and I think it should have been 18. I didn't see a replay of the block they called on him towards the end of the first half, but watching it live it sure looked like a charge to me

Reaction Score
To expand on this, on actual FG% at the rim Martin is shooting 61.8% at the rim this year and 54.4% last year. Data only goes back to 2013-14 so that's as far back as I could go.
Bouknight - 65.8% last year, 58.3% freshman

Adams - 63.2%, 54.7%, 52.9%, 54.9%

Boatright - 57.5%, 46.8%

Shabazz - 53.0%
thx for the data. I knew Martin was doing better at the rim, but didn’t realize he’s improved that much. He’s allowed to have an off night. But to compare him at 6’6 to guys like Boat or Bazz is the wrong comp IMO.

Reaction Score
To be fair to Martin, to my eye he gets no-call fouled more than anyone on our team. Maybe it's because he's strong enough to get the shot off through contact, or maybe his balance is so good that he can look less awkward than most after contact...but he gets a terrible whistle going to the basket...imo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom