Finally - someone shedding light on Shaka's sixth man defense! | The Boneyard

Finally - someone shedding light on Shaka's sixth man defense!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Since Hurley seems to think the world of Shaka and the program at Marquette it seems we fans have kept quiet. I did not know this was going on. It tough to watch the game and watch their coach. I saw it one time but did not see the clip that was shown while watching the game. The whole point is I guess you can do certain things that deserve technical fouls and get away with it. Shaka gets a lot of love but he does cross the line. Seeing this I now like Cam even more. Especially if he said what are you going to do now since you can’t be on the court helping your defense.

Reaction Score
Matt Norlander called out Smart for this a couple months ago.

For far too long many of them have paid little heed to the coaching box, a 28-foot-long area that runs parallel to, and extends past, the bench. It's commonplace to see coaches stride onto the floor as if it's their territory, even though it's not. On Saturday, we saw one of the more egregious violations when Shaka Smart did this.

I admit the whole thing looks hilarious, but at the same time, um, hello? At minimum, Smart should have been sanctioned with a warning.

"Clearly a coaching box warning," one official told CBS Sports. "By rule, coaches outside the box get one warning and it is recorded in the score book."

Reaction Score
Shaka is excellent at closing out opposing three point shooters on the corner three. Or at least disrupting their rhythm.

Reaction Score
Shaka has solid form on D. Does he have any eligibility left?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This is pretty simple. It is called crossing the line. Remember that growing up? If a player crosses the line by a millimeter when attempting a three point shot there are instant replays that can last for 10 minutes or more. We all have to wait while a trio of refs stares at the video tape. Is Shaka suffering from emotional exuberance or deliberate malfeasance (Havoc) ? It doesn't really matter. It is the rule that is being violated and the refs job to enforce the rules. BTW, I've seen Hurley go out of the box and over the inbound line on numerous occasions (Rick P as well) so Shaka not alone. But he is right in the flow of the game area (corner 3 shot) which makes it more egregious.

Coaches and refs are grownups and their brains are supposed to "finished" in development. Give them warnings and then T them up if they continue. End of problem. Nothing causes more confusion than inconsistent messaging. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

When the refs meet the coaches before the game kindly inform and remind them what the rules you intend to enforce so they get the picture.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would overload that side on offense early in the game (four or five of the first five or six possessions if necessary) to force the officials to make a decision.

Sadly, if we did that, they'd T up Hurley a couple plays later just because they'd need to balance things out.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Coaches box is fairly non-existent at this point it seems like but this is pretty absurd. I respect him as a coach but he can do the exact same antics without being on the court.

I also still dislike the long shirt under the polo look. Lol

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
Coaches box is fairly non-existent at this point it seems like but this is pretty absurd. I respect him as a coach but he can do the exact same antics without being on the court.

If the league addresses this, and they may or may not, I suspect it will be in the off season. They could make the coaches box a "point of emphasis." I'm pretty sure Smart will get away this at MSG. But the above poster has it right. The box is completely ignored at this point, I don't think there is a coach in the league that stays in it.

Reaction Score
It would be funny if a player decided to just drive right into him when he's on the court and force the ref's hand.
And with the change in the rule interpretations this year, there's no way he'd get a charge call.

I think someone did make contact with him earlier this year. It didn't affect the play, but I was still shocked that didn't result in a T.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Don't like Shaka one bit or his pretending to be a player. Hurley is pretty bad about it too but at least he's just standing on the court and not jumping around like a lunatic (he saves that for his faces). Maybe they'll start enforcing the box when they enforce the "no carry" rule too.

Now I double love Cam's T. Also, unless he cursed I just don't see a T there at all man.

With the crazy logic we've seen this year I guarantee contact by a UConn player with Shaka would result in a flagrant 2 against us or something equally egregious. Probably toss Hurley instead.

Reaction Score
I’d say have Clingan or Samson set a moving screen on Shaka in the halfcourt, but they’d be whistled for an offensive foul.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just because DH likes someone doesn't mean UConn fans need to turn a blind eye on transgressions, but I don't see where Smart actually comes in contact with an opposing player.
Is what he is doing a bit overboard? yeah many would think so and he probably needs to be spoken to/warned about it by the officials.
I like Smart- a lot. I was hoping he would replace KO. Some coaches berate refs, call them names and make hideous faces at them. Some coaches are animated and move around quite a bit on the sidelines. Bruce Pearl, Penny, Kelvin Sampson, DH, A Autry, Jamie Dixon, Cronin and many others are guilty.
The refs usually miss 65% of what goes on during the game, yet we expect them to see these antics also?? Asking way too much!!!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
It would be funny if a player decided to just drive right into him when he's on the court and force the ref's hand.
Unless it’s Tristan where the refs would swallow their whistle as usual like when he drives to the lane and gets mauled with no call…

Reaction Score
Funny enough, the only time I've seen a coach get a T for being on the court this season was Calipari and he was barely over the line and not remotely involved in the play. Seemed like a Ted Valentine type moment from the official.

Reaction Score
Shaka certainly got AKs attention. You see Alex look over his shoulder. Thats not fair and should be a T. When the entire bench is doing it, that coordinated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom