Final Four Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Final Four Thread

Reaction Score
And then you have Alabama shooting 45% from 3 this tournament.
The posted video noted it was different inflation at different sites. Brooklyn was one of the over-inflated. Neither of Alabama's sites were.

Do I believe 100% this is the problem? No. But I do think it could have had an impact.

Reaction Score
Purdue vs. us is inevitable. And maybe I am going crazy, but I do not think it crazy that our 7'2" center whose forte is defense can guard their 7'4" center w/out help. How many centers like DC has Edey faced, ever? The answer is zero, because defensively, there is nobody like DC in college ball. Again, maybe this more nuanced than that, but I would start that matchup mano a mano.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Alabama has a different great offense than Illinois. They will unload from outside. Not going to use the idiotic approach Illinois tried. They're dangerous if we don't start hitting our own shots.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Alabama has a different great offense than Illinois. They will unload from outside. Not going to use the idiotic approach Illinois tried. They're dangerous if we don't start hitting our own shots.
Yes but they are using the same ball.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My guess on this is that the balls are too new. Likely need to be dribbled quite a bit (I believe that normally they are machine dribbled a couple thousand times when they are made, maybe they shortened that part of the process) to make them feel less stiff and smoother.

The thing is, once it gets into someone's head, even if it isn't true it can have a major impact.

Poe

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, we can game plan to stop Edey, Burns, Sears, or whoever the best player or top two players are.

But other teams can’t do the same against us. Who do they try to stop? Clingan, Spencer, Newton? The “other guys” will simply eat you alive, there is no drop off from players 1-6 (I’m including Diarra, because he would start on almost any other team in the country) and ranking this roster 1-6 is impossible (e.g., our first team all-American had zero field goals in 25 point elite eight blow out.)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes but they are using the same ball.
Sure. So maybe we make some. My point is that they won't pass up the shots to attack Clingan the way Illinois did. Samson even swatted one or two. Bama will score more than Illinois, so we will need to have the offense clicking.

Reaction Score

This is why this theory doesn't hold water. Every team is using these same balls, so how come other teams like Alabama seem to be able to hit their 3s but not UConn?

Reaction Score
This is why this theory doesn't hold water. Every team is using these same balls, so how come other teams like Alabama seem to be able to hit their 3s but not UConn?
The argument is that, no, not every team is using the same ball. Different sites are actually in control of the ball, and a few sites over-inflated.

You should watch the video before making criticisms addressed by the video.

Reaction Score
The posted video noted it was different inflation at different sites. Brooklyn was one of the over-inflated. Neither of Alabama's sites were.

Do I believe 100% this is the problem? No. But I do think it could have had an impact.

Duke hit 14-28 (50%) of their 3s in Brooklyn against JMU. So again, it's not the balls. How was Duke able to hit lights out with these overinflated balls but not UConn?

Reaction Score
they are gonna launch 30+ 3's regardless if they making them or not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't care about local time for them. It will probably be 9:00 and that's just too late to start a major event. For clarity: west coast people don't matter and their preferences should never be considered.
It's been that way for decades. What do you think about having the Federal holidays on a Monday?

Reaction Score
Duke hit 14-28 (50%) of their 3s in Brooklyn against JMU. So again, it's not the balls. How was Duke able to hit lights out with these overinflated balls but not UConn?
Wasn't it just McCain? They shot 33% in game 1, and then McCain shot 8-11. Proctor was 4-10, but the number is really juiced by McCain's output.

Look, who knows why we're shooting so badly. It's pretty serious deviation from the mean. I suspect we come back to the norm at some point soon.

Reaction Score
Purdue vs. us is inevitable. And maybe I am going crazy, but I do not think it crazy that our 7'2" center whose forte is defense can guard their 7'4" center w/out help. How many centers like DC has Edey faced, ever? The answer is zero, because defensively, there is nobody like DC in college ball. Again, maybe this more nuanced than that, but I would start that matchup mano a mano.
One of the things that makes our defense so adaptable is that we rarely double team. Doesn't mean we can't, or won't, but most good offenses, including ours, is looking for the double team to spring an open man.

Reaction Score
DK has UConn -5.5 against Purdue and -14.5 against NC St.

Reaction Score
Edey still has, what, like 40 pounds on Clingan? He would still need help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom