Final Four - Is this fair? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Final Four - Is this fair?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Please move along, there is nothing to see here so just stop with all the conspiracy theories. I, for one, think the NCAAT got most of the seedings and regions correctly assigned. Attendance was up and most people have stopped whining about the NC St region placement (all except Deb Antonelli who kept making the point that UConn was favored tonight without maybe stating because UConn is playing better).
Deflect Go Away GIF by Kathryn Dean

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
If Geno and Bueckers were told they had 24 hours to prepare to play Stanford for a trip to the national championship game, I'm confident they'd be 100 percent ready to go. More rest time always helps, but if you're not ready to play two games in less than 5 days in March, you should throw away any national championship aspirations.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Yes, IMO it is fair. "Regular Season" (including Conference Tournament) records have to have some value, as they do in most sports, with home games, byes, playing in a region closer to home, and facing less-challenging early-round game opponents. It is a reward for prior performance, and it reduces the likelihood of top teams facing each other too early in the competition.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Please move along, there is nothing to see here so just stop with all the conspiracy theories. I, for one, think the NCAAT got most of the seedings and regions correctly assigned.
Ummm, haven't there been more upsets this year than in years past??? That would mean they're worst job ever.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ummm, haven't there been more upsets this year than in years past??? That would mean they're worst job ever.
Actually, I think the parity among the middle ranks is being achieved. I do not fault them for that based on how the their protocol is to determine the seedings-NET and Conference Tournament results. Creighton played a very good OOC and did get eliminated in the 1st game in the BET. Where they got lucky was being put into a region with a team they knew well. SD also played a strong OOC and knew what they needed to improve upon during the season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually, I think the parity among the middle ranks is being achieved. I do not fault them for that based on how the their protocol is to determine the seedings-NET and Conference Tournament results. Creighton played a very good OOC and did get eliminated in the 1st game in the BET. Where they got lucky was being put into a region with a team they knew well. SD also played a strong OOC and knew what they needed to improve upon during the season.
Doesn't matter the why, if they did a perfect job of seeding, then the games would follow the chalk.

Reaction Score
SC is flying out Tuesday. At least that is what I thought Dawn said when asked.

Reaction Score
Unless they play all Elite Eight games at the same exact time - would fanbases be happy with this? - then they have to play one at a time. And if this is what has to happen, then it should go in order of 1) overall #1 or highest overall Seed, 2) next highest overall Seed, 3) next highest overall Seed, 4) lowest overall Seed left to play.

That appears to be exactly how they scheduled it:

1st Game: South Carolina (overall #1 Seed)
2nd Game: Stanford (overall #2 Seed)
3rd Game: NC State (overall #3 Seed)
4th Game: Louisville (overall #4 Seed).......
I think this had to do more with time zone than anything else.

Reaction Score
I think it's about time zones and TV Schedules. I'm about 99.9999999% sure that "fairness" was not a consideration. Life isn't fair. Time to play.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I always defended UCONN getting the extra day because their top ranking earned it. So it would be hypocritical to complain when other top ranked teams get the extra day.
Unfortunately, in today's America, hypocrisy is not a thing anymore. But I appreciate your honesty. Wait, maybe that's not a thing anymore either. ;)

Reaction Score
Life aint fair so I'm pretty certain basketball scheduling doesn't have to be. lol

Reaction Score
Please move along, there is nothing to see here so just stop with all the conspiracy theories. I, for one, think the NCAAT got most of the seedings and regions correctly assigned. Attendance was up and most people have stopped whining about the NC St region placement (all except Deb Antonelli who kept making the point that UConn was favored tonight without maybe stating because UConn is playing better).
Deflect Go Away GIF by Kathryn Dean
Deb Antonelli also neglects to mention that she graduated from NC State & is showing her bias in her comments. Innocent oversight, I'm sure! :rolleyes:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Deb Antonelli also neglects to mention that she graduated from NC State & is showing her bias in her comments. Innocent oversight, I'm sure! :rolleyes:
??? Everyone knows Debbie played for Kay Yow at NC State. It is one of her "calling cards" if you will, mentioned at least once every game, I swear.

Yes, I agree that she has a bias. They probably all do, for one team or another. It affects how the announcers view different teams. Generally, it isn't too obvious on national telecasts.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter the why, if they did a perfect job of seeding, then the games would follow the chalk.
Nope. That's why they play the games, as an old Rutgers fan, long deceased, used to proclaim whenever anyone suggested Rutgers (or the opponent) should win or lose a particular game.

I stick by what I've said, the gap between the top couple lines and the rest is, well, significant.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Travel is all determined by the NCAA for the tournament.

Back in 2000, when Rutgers won the Portland Regional, the team they defeated, Georgia, was charted home to Athens by the NCAA in spite of losing, while Rutgers had to fly commercial to Newark. The coaching staff (including Viv) were on our flight, however the team was on a different one. Led to the saying "NCAA = no charter airline available". Details have changed since then, but the concept of when you will be where and how you get there are still, for the tourney, under the NCAA's control.

Actually, throughout the season, the NCAA rules control when you can arrive, how long you can stay, and all that for away games and such. However, they have less of a say in the details of where you stay and how you travel, although I believe they operate the travel agency teams use.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Ummmmm(5 of them!) there are 4 1s, a 2 and a 3 still standing. That's not bad seeding IMO. Isn't the idea of the seeding to not have top teams not meet each other too early?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You can't really game plan until you know who you are playing.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted, so everybody is in the same boat. 3 days vs. 4 days of rest really seems like a non factor, unless someone is trying to rehab a nagging injury.

Reaction Score
So Stanford and South Carolina get an extra day of rest before the Final Four. And they don't play each other. Is this fair? Is this the way it has worked in the past? Seems to me the two teams that won Sunday should play each other, and the two teams that win Monday should play each other. What do others think?
I want to see UConn play the best teams, IMO, Stanford and SC are both great teams and I really believe any of those three could beat the other on any given night. However, if UConn does win the NC there will be no doubt they are the best team in the country.

Reaction Score
No, that would mean March Madness has finally come to the women game. Teams just give it all they have during tournament time and I love it!

Reaction Score
Nothing to complain about when the team is playing to reach the final four without leaving CT.

Reaction Score
No, that would mean March Madness has finally come to the women game. Teams just give it all they have during tournament time and I love it!
....and that’s why it is my favorite sport season of the year.
Nothing like one and done to fire up elite, amateur athletes.
Just by the basic numbers, for 25% of the players, the NEXT loss is their last collegiate game.
The desire and the emotion is palpable.
Anyone watch the post game presser after SF lost to UCONN?
Very real.

Reaction Score
well they were ranked the 1st and 2nd overall seed so that is the perks you get.
When it was pointed out that most years UConn "earned" any advantage they had the response was "it doesn't matter, it was still unfair". The teams earned their advantage through seeding. There are no other perks, or at least there shouldn't be.
UConn plays tonight, and if they win they rest tomorrow and then have one day to prepare before leaving for Minn. Thur. Geno has said that once at the site there is no time for serious practices.
So 2 teams get twice the prep time of the other 2 teams. I say so what but

Reaction Score
So Stanford and South Carolina get an extra day of rest before the Final Four. And they don't play each other. Is this fair? Is this the way it has worked in the past? Seems to me the two teams that won Sunday should play each other, and the two teams that win Monday should play each other. What do others think?
When I saw the title thread I thought you were complaining that UCONN gets 4 tourney games in CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom