Final Four - Is this fair? | The Boneyard

Final Four - Is this fair?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So Stanford and South Carolina get an extra day of rest before the Final Four. And they don't play each other. Is this fair? Is this the way it has worked in the past? Seems to me the two teams that won Sunday should play each other, and the two teams that win Monday should play each other. What do others think?

Reaction Score
Also, if it was a significant advantage to have an extra day of rest, doesn’t it make a lot more sense to have that be before the final four than before the national championship (which I think is your suggestion but could be wrong)?

Reaction Score
So Stanford and South Carolina get an extra day of rest before the Final Four. And they don't play each other. Is this fair? Is this the way it has worked in the past? Seems to me the two teams that won Sunday should play each other, and the two teams that win Monday should play each other. What do others think?
I have complained about this for a long time. At least this year the overall #1 gets the extra day. I think it is important. Many years we were on the down side of this. One extra day of rest and time to game plan is important and valuable in my opinion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One extra day of preparation does not make much difference. It’s been this way in college basketball for as long as I can remember. It is largely fueled by tv, which spreads out the games during March over 4 days each week to maximize viewership.

UConn has won championships with the extra day of preparation and without. Let’s all worry about just getting to the FF, and then we can worry about who the Huskies are going to play there and how well prepared they are.

Reaction Score
One extra day of preparation does not make much difference. It’s been this way in college basketball for as long as I can remember. It is largely fueled by tv, which spreads out the games during March over 4 days each week to maximize viewership.

UConn has won championships with the extra day of preparation and without. Let’s all worry about just getting to the FF, and then we can worry about who the Huskies are going to play there and how well prepared they are.
You can't really game plan until you know who you are playing.

Reaction Score
I think it is a minor advantage, mostly with an extra day of prep time not rest, but if two teams are going to get that advantage it is appropriate to give it to the number 1 & 2 overall seeds.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The Men's tournament is the same way. If I recall correctly its happened many times in the past for both tournaments as well. I don't understand why the NCAA doesn't fix it, as they control the schedule of the games Overall #1 Seed and #3 Seed brackets play on the same day and #2 and #4 seed brackets play on the same day. Easy to fix.

Reaction Score
I don't think any of it matters. They set the bracket up that way because they assume that it'll be SC v. Stanford in the final.

Reaction Score
The fact that they are not playing till Friday makes that extra day mute. Now if they were playing Wednesday it might make a difference. Some times its an advantage not to have too much time between games. Three days between games is plenty of time.

Reaction Score
Unless they play all Elite Eight games at the same exact time - would fanbases be happy with this? - then they have to play one at a time. And if this is what has to happen, then it should go in order of 1) overall #1 or highest overall Seed, 2) next highest overall Seed, 3) next highest overall Seed, 4) lowest overall Seed left to play.

That appears to be exactly how they scheduled it:

1st Game: South Carolina (overall #1 Seed)
2nd Game: Stanford (overall #2 Seed)
3rd Game: NC State (overall #3 Seed)
4th Game: Louisville (overall #4 Seed).......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom