FHCRE article “I don’t miss it one bit” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FHCRE article “I don’t miss it one bit”

Reaction Score
To me it is a bit unfair to lay everything about the lost decade on Edsall. Pasqualoni started the train down off the tracks, and Diaco didn’t exactly help getting it back with his utterly whacky behavior. Edsall came into a train wreck and couldn’t undo it, though one could make the case that he didn’t recruit so badly since many of the guys Mora used were Edsall recruits. His first time around was good. Second wasn,t. Simple as that.

Reaction Score
Neither do we, I wish him well but good riddance. Take just a little responsibility, pushing out Lashlee then Dunn should’ve been the writing on the wall for Benedict. It is what it is we have moved on.

Reaction Score
Think he pushed out Lashlee so he could hire Dunn. Dunn did not want to stay. No matter, think he tried and recruited pretty okay players 2nd time but many left before developing. Thank goodness for Mora not running them off like RE did. Seems like Mora has a plan for success in today’s game which is more professional than amateur.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And I don't think HCRE gets enough grief for his coaching UConn's FB biggest game with one eye on his watch. We deserved 100% from him and didn't get it. He's a bum.
Yes, he absolutely was in that case. There is a bit of blame to go around on that as Hathaway never should have allowed him to coach that game. It would not have been unprecedented if Hathaway had relieved him of his duties, in fact, that was one of very few cases where the departing coach was allowed to remain at the helmet in similar situations.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
And I don't think HCRE gets enough grief for his coaching UConn's FB biggest game with one eye on his watch. We deserved 100% from him and didn't get it. He's a bum.
THIS!!!

UConn was playing in the Fiesta Bowl for the first time ever and the guy was clearly more worried about the Maryland roster than the Husky roster. And THAT will remain his legacy here at UConn...

Reaction Score
That was bad but I put it on Hathaway more than Edsall. He got another job. Hathaway was derelict not to tell him to step aside. It not only hurt in the game, it put us behind in landing a new coach. I imagine Edsall was expecting to be removed. Hathaway didn’t ask so he stayed. Or Hathaway decided to let him have his moment. Either way it was a bad decision.

Reaction Score
Not to take away from Edsall success, but I will play devils advocate and say edsall assistants recruited better than Edsall did. Reason I say that is because Edsall for whatever reasons did not like the hand picked qb Lashlee recruited… Steven K. Part of me feels like Edsall only played guys he specifically had a hand in recruiting personally and showed some favoritism towards certain players. In my eyes, the team got significantly better and competitive after Edsall was told to stepped down and we saw major changes in the depth chart. It was baffling how there were some guys who were backups that were significantly better than the starters, but for whatever reason Edsall did not want to play. Edsall controlled the depth chart and made the final call on who play Saturdays. He gave up on the team and laid a goose egg after Covid and you would think after having a year off, the team will be competitive the first two weeks. Edsall failed in his second stint and the 5 year rebuild plan was straight BS… Mora came in and did a total rebuild in year 1.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was bad but I put it on Hathaway more than Edsall. He got another job. Hathaway was derelict not to tell him to step aside. It not only hurt in the game, it put us behind in landing a new coach.
I know we all hate Hathaway. But do we know when Hathaway found out he was leaving? Did he know before the game? Remember, HCRE 2.0 announced his retirement effective at the end of the season without telling the AD.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know we all hate Hathaway. But do we know when Hathaway found out he was leaving? Did he know before the game? Remember, HCRE 2.0 announced his retirement effective at the end of the season without telling the AD.
Hathaway was informed that morning, RE told Hathaway that he felt he deserved to coach the Fiesta Bowl as it was the culmination of everything RE had done at UConn and Hathaway agreed.

Reaction Score
To me it is a bit unfair to lay everything about the lost decade on Edsall. Pasqualoni started the train down off the tracks, and Diaco didn’t exactly help getting it back with his utterly whacky behavior. Edsall came into a train wreck and couldn’t undo it, though one could make the case that he didn’t recruit so badly since many of the guys Mora used were Edsall recruits. His first time around was good. Second wasn,t. Simple as that.
Oh I lay the worst choice on hiring pasqualoni. That was a loser move from the get go. I'm more shocked by edsall basically checking out on the whole ordeal in the 2.0 phase

Reaction Score
Lest we forget, the reason we got Coach Randy part two is because the team did not want to pay for a coach at the time. He kind of took the job as a favor. You get what you pay for.
Some favor. Dude funded his retirement and made sure his son had gainful employment for a few years. The favor would have been to tell UConn thanks but my time as a HC is behind me.

Reaction Score
Think he initially tried. Not retaining his OC after offering 150k of his own salary then making his OL coach do double duty as an OC plus not being told his program was going indy until the anouncement, sucked. As far as his kid. he was lead recruiter for the beginnings of a very good class s until it fell apart after the season started. Alot of kids had P5 or multiple P5 offers and was ranked very high for us at the time if you believe in such things.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lest we forget, the reason we got Coach Randy part two is because the team did not want to pay for a coach at the time. He kind of took the job as a favor.
Stop it. He took the job because it was the only place that would pay him that much money. He's done UConn no favors.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Stop it. He took the job because it was the only place that would pay him that much money. He's done UConn no favors.
Eh...I do think it's more complicated than that. I believe Benedict needed support(money) to get out of Diaco's contract. And that support was linked to re-hiring Randy.

On hindsight it was the wrong decision...but UConn wanted Diaco gone and this was a way to make it happen.

At least that's how I remember it t going down...I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
in his first go-round he was infuriatingly stubborn and conservative and always blamed others for shortfalls. But he built strong offensive lines and running games, good to great special teams and had playmakers on defense. So despite little QB or WR talent, they could compete with most teams. A few good breaks and voila they make the Fiesta Bowl. How he handled that was atrocious as has been covered here.

His second go round he simply mailed it in, had little interest in the job or elevating the program in any way. Re-hiring him after the failure at MD and the way he left set the program back almost as much as hiring Blue and iDiaco. Maybe more as he was point on cancelling the covid season, which furthered the general opinion that football just did not matter at all at UConn

Reaction Score
Cacelling the Covid season wasn’t his call. Look his entire schedule cratered. The Big 10 cancelled their season. So did the PAC. Other leagues worked out playing only intra league games. In case you missed it we didn’t have a league. Then there were the early season CT travel rules. It made sense when they did it. And really playing 3 games decided on Tuesday would have been pretty silly. Criticizing that decision to me is 110% 20-20 hindsight.

Reaction Score
Eh...I do think it's more complicated than that. I believe Benedict needed support(money) to get out of Diaco's contract. And that support was linked to re-hiring Randy.

On hindsight it was the wrong decision...but UConn wanted Diaco gone and this was a way to make it happen.

At least that's how I remember it t going down...I could be wrong.
I don’t believe RE was ADDBs choice. He was influenced by of course Danno and likely financially by donors longing for past successful days. RE was well liked by the Burtons.

Reaction Score
Cacelling the Covid season wasn’t his call. Look his entire schedule cratered. The Big 10 cancelled their season. So did the PAC. Other leagues worked out playing only intra league games. In case you missed it we didn’t have a league. Then there were the early season CT travel rules. It made sense when they did it. And really playing 3 games decided on Tuesday would have been pretty silly. Criticizing that decision to me is 110% 20-20 hindsight.
We all get that, but remember he was preaching we had to get bigger,stronger, faster, etc etc. Covid gave the team a break to be able to dive in the playbook and get stronger in the weightroom. What it yielded was a loss to holy cross.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom