Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Let's see.
1. He graduated players
2. He brought us success faster than any of us expected
3. He filled the Rent
4. He was key in closing the deal with Burton and Schenkman (that was not Hathway)
5. He beat ND in South Bend and that post game interview was as heartfelt as it gets. Still get chills hearing the U-C-O-N-N cheer while he's being interviewed. 1:15 mark
6. He was a gentleman in his handling of Jazz's murder

but
7. His departure was terrible
8. He had the media skills of Belichick and was not a great salesman of the program

I give him an A for his overall tenure. He just got to the point where he could no longer tolerate Hathaway and his micromanaging ways. I honestly believe that if Herbst was hired two years earlier and brought in Warde, that Randy would probably still be here.

He also knows that coaching careers at one school have an arc and after the Fiesta Bowl, probably felt like his would start trending downward so he made the move.

But he is a million times better than Coach P

This matches most of my sentiment so thanks for posting. The only thing I would add was that his inability to recruit a good QB after Dan O probably had more to do with limiting his ceiling than anything to do with his game planning, etc.

Reaction Score
What Randy did here was the difference between a guy who buys a house and remodels the kitchen and a guy who buys a lot in the middle of the woods, clears the land, drills the well, puts in the septic, designs the house, puts in the foundation, constructs the shell, puts in the plumbing and electrical, puts up the dry wall, etc., etc. Both guys have similar responsibilities for raising their family but one has way more on his plate than the other. And name the coach who had greater integrity than Edsall.

I'd like to know more about the circumstances of his leaving. He simply didn't conduct himself as some are presenting him. What, if any, were the extenuating circumstances? And if he made a mistake, well, he made a mistake. I'm not prepared to let something as inconsequential as moving on without a proper good bye color my entire perception of what the man did to build this program.

I think if you go back and read this board in Edsall's out years you'll find the same guys in ax grinding mode today were calling for his head then. He'd topped out, reached his ceiling, couldn't get us to the "next level." Randy started from the worst position of any coach on any team in the history of the Big East and took us to two championships in seven years. If his accomplishments here can't be celebrated, I'm not sure whose can.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What Randy did here was the difference between a guy who buys a house and remodels the kitchen and a guy who buys a lot in the middle of the woods, clears the land, drills the well, puts in the septic, designs the house, puts in the foundation, constructs the shell, puts in the plumbing and electrical, puts up the dry wall, etc., etc. Both guys have similar responsibilities for raising their family but one has way more on his plate than the other. And name the coach who had greater integrity than Edsall.

I'd like to know more about the circumstances of his leaving. He simply didn't conduct himself as some are presenting him. What, if any, were the extenuating circumstances? And if he made a mistake, well, he made a mistake. I'm not prepared to let something as inconsequential as moving on without a proper good bye color my entire perception of what the man did to build this program.

I think if you go back and read this board in Edsall's out years you'll find the same guys in ax grinding mode today were calling for his head then. He'd topped out, reached his ceiling, couldn't get us to the "next level." Randy started from the worst position of any coach on any team in the history of the Big East and took us to two championships in seven years. If his accomplishments here can't be celebrated, I'm not sure whose can.

Waylon's post is ridiculous but I think the didn't beat ND by enough is a new complaint.

Reaction Score
Let's see.
1. He graduated players
2. He brought us success faster than any of us expected
3. He filled the Rent
4. He was key in closing the deal with Burton and Schenkman (that was not Hathway)
5. He beat ND in South Bend and that post game interview was as heartfelt as it gets. Still get chills hearing the U-C-O-N-N cheer while he's being interviewed. 1:15 mark
6. He was a gentleman in his handling of Jazz's murder

but
7. His departure was terrible
8. He had the media skills of Belichick and was not a great salesman of the program

I give him an A for his overall tenure. He just got to the point where he could no longer tolerate Hathaway and his micromanaging ways. I honestly believe that if Herbst was hired two years earlier and brought in Warde, that Randy would probably still be here.

He also knows that coaching careers at one school have an arc and after the Fiesta Bowl, probably felt like his would start trending downward so he made the move.

But he is a million times better than Coach P

To elaborate on #8, I have never seen a coach who is more comfortable with being completely disingenuous to those of us outside of his inner circle. He always said what he thought the media would eat up (e.g. "I'll be here as long as you will have me"), rather than what he honestly believed.

Reaction Score
To elaborate on #8, I have never seen a coach who is more comfortable with being completely disingenuous to those of us outside of his inner circle. He always said what he thought the media would eat up (e.g. "I'll be here as long as you will have me"), rather than what he honestly believed.

There are mountains and there are molehills.

Definitions
Mountain: building an FBS football program from scratch.
Molehill: a coach being completely disingenuous to those of us outside of his inner circle.

pj

Reaction Score
He was a fine coach. He was the best UConn could have hoped for at the time. He deserves credit for a job well done. His departure -- well, many other coaches leave that way.

The more interesting questions:
- If both P and Edsall are fired on December 1, do you hope Edsall applies for the UConn vacancy?
- Would you be glad to see him back if he was re-hired?

I'm guessing the answers are maybe, depending on the applicant pool, and no. People will want change and hope even if it's probably no improvement.

Reaction Score
Skiblets' post summed it up well, as have many of the posts here. Just like to add that he was a great disciplinarian of his players, but at the same time never took responsibility for his team's struggles (it was all about the team "not executing" his game plan), which frustrated fans and media members alike.

The way he departed doesn't bother me as much as some people. Sure it was a low thing to do and could/should have been handled much better, but at least he stuck around to coach UConn in their biggest bowl game, which is more than can be said for many coaches who leave their team hanging weeks earlier (Brian Kelly, Rich Rodriguez, etc.).

He put UConn football on the map in an incredibly short time (maybe spoiling us all in hindsight for how good things were so quickly), and frankly I'd still take him back knowing what we know now about the current train wreck PP has turned this football program into.

Reaction Score
- If both P and Edsall are fired on December 1, do you hope Edsall applies for the UConn vacancy?

I'm guessing the answers are maybe, depending on the applicant pool, and no. People will want change and hope even if it's probably no improvement.

Is this is a serious question?

Reaction Score
My favorite Edsall moment was when he publicly stayed UCONN fans had no reason to have expectations since we had no history. Clearly im summarizing, but since we shouldn't have expectations, why are we mad at P again?

Reaction Score
He was a fine coach. He was the best UConn could have hoped for at the time. He deserves credit for a job well done. His departure -- well, many other coaches leave that way.

My answers would depend on how good a season Randy turns in this year. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Maryland. His first year was, well, his first year. Last year, so I read, was plagued by injuries to key players. If raises the Terps level of play this year so they perform like his UConn teams did, I would not be particularly eager to have him back. But, if Maryland gets ranked and plays in the ACC title game, then yes, I want him back. Under any circumstances, I wish him the best. He's earned that.

Reaction Score
My favorite Edsall moment was when he publicly stayed UCONN fans had no reason to have expectations since we had no history. Clearly im summarizing, but since we shouldn't have expectations, why are we mad at P again?

Because P inherited a UConn team with a history.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you just posted that if Maryland reaches the ACC title game you'd want him back.

And I'm the crazy one.

Wanted Edsall gone, did you? Fan of the P hire were you?

If a desire to move up from P to a ranked, title-playing-for ACC coach makes me crazy, then yes, I'm crazy as a loon. I'm ready to organize a good moon-baying right this second.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Edsall isn't, won't, and can't come back. He dumped us, and people would welcome him back? Get out of here. "Oh just kidding guys about leaving for my dream job thing. I won't leave you again, honest."

I liked him while he was here. Then he went against the family, and now he's dead to me. There are 100 other candidates I'd be happier with.

Reaction Score
My favorite Edsall moment was when someone here stated that he would make the ACC title game in his first season. Good times.

I was not surprised with why he left. If you were paying attention you knew there was tension. Everytime he lost an assistant like Lakatos or a guy to WVU, he was clearly ticked off in press conferences and had stated that he addressed the salary issue to the AD.

In this environment, there are assistants out there making a million bucks. Some coordinators are making much more than even some head coaches. Hathaway just didn't get it.

I WAS surprised with how he left.

Reaction Score

If a desire to move up from P to a ranked, title-playing-for ACC coach makes me crazy, then yes, I'm crazy as a loon. I'm ready to organize a good moon-baying right this second.

I would take Nick Saban too. Maybe we should kick those tires to see if he's interested as long as we're dealing with a fantasy.

Reaction Score
There are mountains and there are molehills.

Definitions
Mountain: building an FBS football program from scratch.
Molehill: a coach being completely disingenuous to those of us outside of his inner circle.

There are those who cherry pick to santimoniously rail against a point not made, and those who dont.

Gee, this is fun!

Reaction Score

This is so funny.

You apologists are so traumatized that you still equate not loving Edsall with loving the P hire. I was totally underwhelmed, I supported him up until a certain point until I realized that he couldn't even manage a clock.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni is 2-0 head to head against Edsall. Enough said.

That may be the most misleading, unenlightening and irrelevant statistic of all time. If it's supposed to mean P is a better coach than Edsall in the 21st century that is 100 percent laughable.

Pretty sure Edsall would not be 10-15 since 2011. He won almost all the games he was supposed to, ESPECIALLY the disaster last Thursday.

It's stunning to me that with UConn's limited Division I-A/FBS experience people here are experts on how to build a program from scratch. "Make mediocrity look like success" 9-4, 8-5, 8-5, 8-5 in his last four years WAS success. Jesus.

Reaction Score
This is so funny.

You apologists are so traumatized that you still equate not loving Edsall with loving the P hire. I was totally underwhelmed, I supported him up until a certain point until I realized that he couldn't even manage a clock.

3rd game?

Reaction Score
Edsall isn't, won't, and can't come back. He dumped us, and people would welcome him back? Get out of here. "Oh just kidding guys about leaving for my dream job thing. I won't leave you again, honest."

I liked him while he was here. Then he went against the family, and now he's dead to me. There are 100 other candidates I'd be happier with.

And if Edsall performs like the ghost of Bear Bryant for the next half decade you'd prefer an up-and-comer because you just like noseless faces? You're not one of the Hatfields or McCoys are you?

Reaction Score
And if Edsall performs like the ghost of Bear Bryant for the next half decade you'd prefer an up-and-comer because you just like noseless faces? You're not one of the Hatfields or McCoys are you?

He is never coming back. I wish he never left. But he did. His time at UConn is over. He will never coach here again. That should not be something that people need to point out to anyone here. Gee whiz.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Edsall being compared to Bear Bryant (even hypothetically) is right up there with some of the most ludicrous comparisons ever on this site. And this coming from someone who would have been considered an Edsall Apologista!

You honestly are telling me that you'd trust Edsall not to stab us in the back again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom