Feelings on Edsall? | The Boneyard

Feelings on Edsall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey everyone, this is Kevin Duffy from The CT Post. As we prep for Edsall's return to The Rent, I wanted to get the pulse of the fanbase. A year ago, I think you all, for the most part, were still really bitter. Now, I wonder if the bitterness has subsided due to the current state of things in Storrs.

If you're interested in being quoted for an upcoming column, shoot me an email @ kevin.r.duffy@gmail.com or kduffy@newstimes.com. Appreciate it...and thanks for reading.

Reaction Score
Liked him while he was here..thought he may have topped out and was at a point where he needed to move on. Thought he should have done a better job of telling the team ge was leaving; but personally hoped he would succede.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Liked him while he was here..thought he may have topped out and was at a point where he needed to move on. Thought he should have done a better job of telling the team ge was leaving; but personally hoped he would succede.
my thoughts in a nutshell, thanks!

Reaction Score
and I quote, "anything would be better than Edsall".

well............

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I was still somewhat bitter until a year ago; beating them at MD was a bit theraputic. Quite frankly we have such a dumpster fire on our hands now that worrying about Edsall is the furthest thing from my mind.

... and now that I went back and re-read your original post... that's pretty much exactly what you said. haha.

Reaction Score
If we played at the Rent last year I would have booed him bigtime but I'm past that now and totally respect what he accomplished as our Coach. I want to win this years game but will applaud him when he runs out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you are hung up on Edsall's results at Maryland to date I suggest you actually watch his team play. They are good. Oh they didn't go to a bowl game when a freshman linebacker played quarterback. He must be a bad coach.

Reaction Score
He's a C**k Sucker
Can we quote you on that one?

All kidding aside I just want to know if Maryland was his dream job. At the time it seemed to rub salt into the open wound he left with his leaving us/ or his team without so much as a word on a moments notice. It was time for him to move on. He being the diplomat that he was he was a drag on the fan base. Then again I think a lot of us long for those days were attention to detail was not an issue. Besides we wouldn't have known who or how bad GDL is.

Reaction Score
I wasn't his biggest fan. But I hope we show him some class on his return. And you never know....

Reaction Score
I loved FUHCRE for 99% of his tenure. He ran a tight ship, loved how he handled the Jazz murder, arms around his players. He recruited some great running backs (Caulley, Dixon, Brown, Todman) and then executed a game plan around them that got us to a BCS bowl.

Then he left us in a rather unauspicious way. Forced Jordan to address his teammates in the locker room regarding his early departure, but he snuck out the back door without doing the same. Called Maryland his "dream job". Come on man, what was Connecticut, your nightmare job?

Really hoping we beat him (again) on the 14th.

Reaction Score
liked HCRE.. he coached up his players well. he wasnt landing the 4-5 star athletes, but he got to max out of them. (oh wait, he has a few of those boy's playing at the highest level) .. only issue is he couldnt get that top notch qb after DO

Reaction Score
Let's whoop them in two weeks. Think about how he'll have to deal with losing to a team that lost to local, in-state Towson. That would be sweet. Liked Randy when he was here but the the way he left was completely f@%&ing inexcusable. You earn respect. He had a bunch and threw it all away.

Kevin, use it if you want.

Reaction Score
Thank you Randy! and I hope we beat your , again and at any opportunity.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hi Kevin,

I think you hit the nail on the head: what a difference a year makes. Last year, I wanted revenge. This year, I want to roll down memory lane to a time when UCONN was trending up, not backward. Personally, I will probably give him a nice applause before the game as my token of appreciation for his time here, then get down to business of rooting for my Huskies. I still don't like the way he left UCONN but I feel that last season's win over Maryland helped to cool that particular fire. Not all seasons under Randy were peaches and cream, but Randy Edsall did help establish our fanbase's expectations to be MUCH higher than what Paul Pasqualoni has delivered during his tenure.
I'm very interested to see and hear the crowd's reaction if Maryland were to come up here and return last year's favor. Pasqualoni could not have picked a worse opponent, other than Boston College, to potentially lose to on the heels of being blown out by a FCS opponent.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I really liked him while he was here. He did a great job of finding "diamonds in the rough", especially at a time when it must have been difficult to talk quality recruits into coming to an upstart D-1 program. He got us to multiple bowl games, including a BCS bowl, and sent a fair amount of players to the NFL. Had he stayed here for another 10 years, they likely would have named a building after him and would have included his bust with Calhoun's and Auriemma's as "The Fathers of UConn Athletics."

But as we all know, he left for Maryland; in quite the hypocritical fashion, by the way (Jordan...Jordan Todman....you've got to be honest with the guys on the team before the game....tell them about your NFL intentions...by the way, I have a plane to catch...). Maybe he really did grow up a Twerps fan and that it was his dream job. But he gave up a lot to be there; perhaps more than he realized at the time. At Maryland, he'll probably be remembered as a good coach. Here, he would have been remembered as much much more.

Having said all that, I hope we only beat him by 40...and you can quote me on all of it...

Reaction Score
I think he pissed on UConn when he left, not by the way he left, but with his comments.
Sorry, hope he goes down in flames.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think he pissed on UConn when he left, not by the way he left, but with his comments.
Sorry, hope he goes down in flames.

You've spent all day pissing on UConn so you should be brothers in arms.

Reaction Score
1,000x better than PP, which is no compliment

His only bad decision was in theory had he stayed 1 more year and did ok he could have been a top candidate for PSU. But right now with UA and all and b1G, Maryland is a much better job.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He didn't want to be here long term, for whatever reason. But, he understood how to win at a northeast school where it was difficult to recruit skill position players.

Reaction Score
Tell you what Kevin - track down & grill the AD about what happened Thursday and if his previous statements are "operative" and then we'll talk.

JK. Edsall's departure wasn't clean, but it happens in the big time. Hathaway thought Randy was bluffing on leaving and Randy called him on it. Bad mistake for Randy moving to a bigger media market with a bigger spotlight. Ask him what he thinks of John Feinstein.

Maybe other coaches could have one what Edsall did here ("from trailers") but only he did. UConn fans should be grateful for what he did - unfortunately taking PP less than 3 years to destroy what Edsall built in 10.

Reaction Score
You've spent all day pissing on UConn so you should be brothers in arms.

I'll take your word for it. You're the expert, when it comes to Edsall pissing and brothers in your arms, I have no prior experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom