Favorite regular season games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Favorite regular season games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lot's of great memories above. Let me add a new one, Michigan State - opening game this season. I hoped we wouldn't get embarrassed. You know the end result. And nearly all the games this year have been great because KO has the Team playing with such intensity and focus.

Reaction Score
Loved the game at Marquette in '09.

Another game where we ended an opponent's long home winning streak
Dicky V
Calhoun's 800th win
and this:

Reaction Score
@ BC. 1994. Down 17, 2nd half. Donyell leads us to OT win. I have nearly every game on tape from 1994 - 1999. Anybody interested?

Reaction Score
Loved the game at Marquette in '09.

Another game where we ended an opponent's long home winning streak
Dicky V
Calhoun's 800th win
and this:

Wow, look at the score and time. We had 56 points with 16 minutes to go. The last 4 years we're lucky to hit 56 for the whole game!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm partial to the drubbing of Kentucky in Maui. That was very satisfying to just molest them.

A personally satisfying one was January 2004 ( I think) where I was in Vegas for CES and took 1000 dollars of Craps winnings to the sports book right before the Michigan state game at Gampel and then watched us just dismantle them on one of those Personal TVs that they had rows and rows of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I'm partial to the drubbing of Kentucky in Maui. That was very satisfying to just molest them.

A personally satisfying one was January 2004 ( I think) where I was in Vegas for CES and took 1000 dollars of Craps winnings to the sports book right before the Michigan state game at Gampel and then watched us just dismantle them on one of those Personal TVs that they had rows and rows of.

They played MSU at Gampel in Dec 0f 98.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
They played MSU at Gampel in Dec 0f 98.
Come to think of it maybe it was Oklahoma

Reaction Score
Here's one that most of you will not remember. On February 28th, 1970 Rhode Island came to Storrs to play Uconn with the Yankee Conference title on the line. Uconn had three players suspended prior to the game, two of whom were starters. Rhode Island was a very good team and with the suspensions were heavy favorites. Dee Rowe knew that we could not run with them so he took the air out of the ball by having his guard dribble of two or three minutes before taking a shot (no shot clock then). At half time both teams had less than 20 points. In the second half, our point guard (whose name I cannot remember) had to be given oxygen. Normally a slow down game is tough to watch but the field house was rocking that night. In the end Uconn won 35-32.

Reaction Score
I remember this one. We gutted it out and many fans expected us to lose . Good one.
Forgot about that one....that was a true gut check win. JC was so so happy after that win.

Reaction Score
A lot of them have already been mentioned:

Georgetown and Syracuse in 1990.
Gampel opener over St. John's in 1990 (Dan Cyrulik must have a copy of this one somewhere).
Beating Stamford on the road in 1999 without Rip.
El-Amin at Pitt.
The whole Maui Classic in 2010.

A couple I didn't see.

Blowing out North Carolina at Gampel. Maybe not a great game, but amazing for someone who as a kid rooted for a Yankee Conference team.
The win at Texas in 2011, complete with Roscoe's first heave.

One that sticks out to me, as a 1987 grad was the last game of the regular season. Gamble and Robinson had been gone since January due to academics, and even WITH them we had lost to Yale and Hartford on route to 9-19 overall. In the last game of the regular season, we played a Seton Hall team that had all the key players except Andrew Gaze that came within one point of a title in 1989. Steve Pikiell and Greg Economou cracked heads in the first half, leaving a lineup the rest of the way of Tate George, Gerry Besselink, Jeff King, Spider Ursery and James Spradling, except for a minute when Spradling had to leave when he got cut, sending soccer goalie Brian Hall into the game. Somehow the Huskies gutted out on their and Calhoun's toughness. It was a great game to attend it was confirmation that once Calhoun got some players that good things would be happening.

Honorable mention for comedic value: Leading BC by three in the final second and letting BC get a uncontested layup at the buzzer to lose by one.

Reaction Score
Doug Melody was the point East Catholic HS. Saw the game in person. Jack Kraft of Rhody blew it by not pressing full court.

Reaction Score
Here's one that most of you will not remember. On February 28th, 1970 Rhode Island came to Storrs to play Uconn with the Yankee Conference title on the line. Uconn had three players suspended prior to the game, two of whom were starters. Rhode Island was a very good team and with the suspensions were heavy favorites. Dee Rowe knew that we could not run with them so he took the air out of the ball by having his guard dribble of two or three minutes before taking a shot (no shot clock then). At half time both teams had less than 20 points. In the second half, our point guard (whose name I cannot remember) had to be given oxygen. Normally a slow down game is tough to watch but the field house was rocking that night. In the end Uconn won 35-32.

Believe Bobby Boyd (22 plus a game) and others were suspended for something fairly serious back in the day.........yeah hear Ehrlich on that one I was 11.........

Reaction Score
Semi's of the NIT Champ year vs BC and Barros at the Garden.........Barros had 23 at the half and things looked awful then enter Lyman DePriest and Barros ends with 25..........WINNING began!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here's one that most of you will not remember. On February 28th, 1970 Rhode Island came to Storrs to play Uconn with the Yankee Conference title on the line. Uconn had three players suspended prior to the game, two of whom were starters. .

That game hurt us in the future. Rowe went into the stall and blew the game a few years later in the NIT quarters. That was big, a win there and UConn would have been on national TV for the semis. That game killed me, UConn was never on national TV in those days. They had a good team that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom