"Fans are anxious to hear from AD" (DiMauro) - Ruskin Outed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Fans are anxious to hear from AD" (DiMauro) - Ruskin Outed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What really sucks, about everything right now, is the simple fact that we've got another full week to stew on all of this crap before the team takes the field again and either redeems itself to whatever degree is possible by winning, after the worst loss in decades, or proves without a doubt that change of some drastic measure is without a doubt necessary.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
The best part of UCONN football, for those that buy tickets and attend games regularly is most definitely within walking distance of the stadium, outside, on game days.
And here I thought you were going to say Cabela's

Reaction Score
Good Lord with these double threads.

I just wish folks that occasionally visit would just scan at least the first page of threads before posting.(my own little pet peeve here).

Reaction Score
I just wish folks that occasionally visit would just scan at least the first page of threads before posting.(my own little pet peeve here).
Sorry guys busy day a little rushed,, on same hand we can never get too much of Mikey D.

Reaction Score
WTF

I just want to know why this DrewDog has this truly unnatural love of Mike diMauro. I think he's derivative scum. A little low creepy know-it-all snake writing for a third tied dying newspaper. His BC affection is way over the top & his use of pejorative language about OUR beloved State University has irked me for a decade. F--- him

I haven't read what he wrote. I don't think he's ever had an original thought.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Read it. THEN judge it. But at least read it first.

Reaction Score
His Sunday column was all Adazzio and BC. Sunday, BC in New London County CT, he rubbed the fans' noses in it. He is Lee Lewis east of the river.

Reaction Score
OK. I read it.

Can you explain why he needed to include the snippet of praise for AD Bates at BC on his targeted dig at Manual? That's the kind of stuff this jackass repeatedly gives: we are a Connecticut school in Connecticut and you're at a Connecticut newspaper. It's not Newton. BTW ... BC was the 2-10 team last year; I'm sure they had wonderful attendance. We are just a lap behind.

As for the Manual content: I think many of us could write this. But, frankly, it would seem inauthentic for any AD to say - here in week 2 - that he was upset or he wanted PP to fight on or we were doing anything. I think the die is cast. What do you do? Greeting tailgaters? Yes. I'd like this to be the year that President Herbst and AD Manual. And Geno & Jim rally all of us together. Because we desperately need Team and Community bonding as UConn fans. We need to fix the deficiencies (Fire the Football coach) and build build build. I don't want to repeat the Trailer line ... But ... We still have the capacity to go so much farther. And we have far more potential as a Market & as a Business Venture & as a Brand than BC.

Yeccchh

Reaction Score
Lifted from here, but it's spot on...
Like your post Mike...Not you but is also funny how many here get info from here and repost like they knew it all the time....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only way you could put UConn's tailgate up against the rest of the country would be if you've never actually been to a game anywhere else.

It's just patently ridiculous. It's like saying the football is as good as the SEC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
DiMauro was trolling with that article - start to finish.

No athletic director with an ounce of sense is going to comment on his coach unless he truly plans on retaining him nor would an AD comment on the musings of some ESPN nitwit on a backwater radio show.

DiMauro is just tossing breadcrumbs in the park and some of the pigeons here bit.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The only way you could put UConn's tailgate up against the rest of the country would be if you've never actually been to a game anywhere else.

It's just patently ridiculous. It's like saying the football is as good as the SEC.

Agreed. After experiencing ND and Michigan (2 totally different TG experiences themselves), saying it's "patently ridiculous" is being way too kind, Whaler. I've been to several SEC games and our tailgate doesn't come close in any category you can measure such a thing in. I have a lot of respect for the atmosphere at The Rent, even moreso for every BY'er who represents at home games.

That being said, tailgating at big time football schools is a way of life, not an occasional Saturday roadtrip.

Does anyone else here realize that Pop Warner games are held at some SEC stadiums so that they don't interfere with the real game days? Or that many SEC schools open the parking lots 3+ days before kickoff? I love the UCONN tailgate experience but we don't even come close to the big boys. And I'm not even including our lack of pre game traditions.

We can't even get a Husky Howl implemented to let people know it's almost kickoff.

Reaction Score
DiMauro was trolling with that article - start to finish.

No athletic director with an ounce of sense is going to comment on his coach unless he truly plans on retaining him nor would an AD comment on the musings of some ESPN nitwit on a backwater radio show.

DiMauro is just tossing breadcrumbs in the park and some of the pigeons here bit.

Disagree. Maybe it was an easy column to write given the fodder DiMauro's been given, but the nut issue is should Manuel have said something after that disaster Thursday given everything else he's said in the offseason starting in December. Given the extenuating circumstances of CR, he should. He can talk generally about the football program without mentioning PP. Also sort of a cheap shot to characterize people who agree with DiMauro's column and want WM to talk as "pigeons".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Silence is anything but golden for Coach P right now.

I don't need to hear Warde tell me that Towson was a duck*ing disaster or that it essentially demolished any hope P might have had to save his gig. December 8th is not that far off.

Reaction Score

That's not necessarily a ridiculous statement. After the Vanderbilt game in 2010, Vandy's beat writer for The Tennessean wrote that "Rentschler Field was the original name of a company airfield where the stadium is now located. With so much surrounding open land, fans are able to line cars for hundreds of yards around the stadium and showcase a huge tailgating scene that rivals the best of the SEC."

Granted, that was homecoming, and a gorgeous day, and we had an All American RB and high expectations, but their writer gets paid to go to SEC games for a living and had a qualified opinion.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Agreed. After experiencing ND and Michigan (2 totally different TG experiences themselves), saying it's "patently ridiculous" is being way too kind, Whaler. I've been to several SEC games and our tailgate doesn't come close in any category you can measure such a thing in. I have a lot of respect for the atmosphere at The Rent, even moreso for every BY'er who represents at home games.

That being said, tailgating at big time football schools is a way of life, not an occasional Saturday roadtrip.

Does anyone else here realize that Pop Warner games are held at some SEC stadiums so that they don't interfere with the real game days? Or that many SEC schools open the parking lots 3+ days before kickoff? I love the UCONN tailgate experience but we don't even come close to the big boys. And I'm not even including our lack of pre game traditions.

We can't even get a Husky Howl implemented to let people know it's almost kickoff.
Even West Virgina opened up their lots 3 days before kickoff for games... We've got a long way before we get there. I love our tailgate scene though, probably one of the best in the American Conf... Certainly BEST in the Northeast. Anyone ever been to 'Cuse or BC games? Jokes compared to what we all do up at The Rent on Husky Gamedays. Something for us all to be proud of! Not sure what Penn State's like, I'm sure its pretty good considering.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's not necessarily a ridiculous statement. After the Vanderbilt game in 2010, Vandy's beat writer for The Tennessean wrote that "Rentschler Field was the original name of a company airfield where the stadium is now located. With so much surrounding open land, fans are able to line cars for hundreds of yards around the stadium and showcase a huge tailgating scene that rivals the best of the SEC."

Granted, that was homecoming, and a gorgeous day, and we had an All American RB and high expectations, but their writer gets paid to go to SEC games for a living and had a qualified opinion.

Rentschler is a pretty good tailgating scene. It's also miserable weather half the year, the female talent is well below the southern schools, it's compacted into a few hours and the cops clear you out after the game.

Seriously go to a game at even a place like Clemson or Tennessee. Nevermind a Mississippi.

Reaction Score
Silence is anything but golden for Coach P right now.

I don't need to hear Warde tell me that Towson was a disaster or that it essentially demolished any hope P might have had to save his gig. December 8th is not that far off.

just curious if you have season tix. As one who does not exactly look forward to the next six games with unbridled enthusiasm. And if you were a player or a senior don't think you'd be so cavalier about how quickly Dec. 8 will arrive.

Reaction Score
Rentschler is a pretty good tailgating scene. It's also miserable weather half the year, the female talent is well below the southern schools, it's compacted into a few hours and the cops clear you out after the game.

Seriously go to a game at even a place like Clemson or Tennessee. Nevermind a Mississippi.

All of those things are true, but the worst part is the four-hour limit. By far.

If you could somehow install an RV/overnight parking lot that was just a chunk of Blue or Grey (maybe the parts of Blue Lot on the left as you drive in from the Main Gate, which would still allow them to block off access to most of the stadium site), even if it only allowed 100 cars or so, that would be tremendous.

Also, I think some of our best tailgates have been when the weather was miserable. I'm thinking Louisville in '05 or USF in '09.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All of those things are true, but the worst part is the four-hour limit. By far.

If you could somehow install an RV/overnight parking lot that was just a chunk of Blue or Grey (maybe the parts of Blue Lot on the left as you drive in from the Main Gate, which would still allow them to block off access to most of the stadium site), even if it only allowed 100 cars or so, that would be tremendous.

Also, I think some of our best tailgates have been when the weather was miserable. I'm thinking Louisville in '05 or USF in '09.

Yeah it's awesome when it's so windy everything falls over. Or when it's so cold people build caves.

It's good everyone is in the same space and people drink a lot in 4 hours. It's light years worse than dozens of schools.

Reaction Score
It's a good article. It raises points beyond just the coaching problem and it gets these points out to the casual fans that we need to bring into the fold. So what if many points were raised here. Do we have a patent on them? I don't get the griping over mentioning Bates. DiMauro tried to reach Warde and got no response. We will see if we should be encouraged by that. Personally I think a picture of the raging dumpster fire with UCONN Football photo shopped onto the dumpster for the front of a Tee shirt says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom