"Fans are anxious to hear from AD" (DiMauro) - Ruskin Outed | The Boneyard

"Fans are anxious to hear from AD" (DiMauro) - Ruskin Outed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Medic you give me too much credit. Dont always agree with Mike D but can't disagree with a word this time. I'll bet he'll see Warde at Geno's presser today. Maybe he can go all Sam Donaldson on The Big Fella.

Reaction Score
That's funny. Most of his stuff is lifted from here. Even threw in the "Fire P" tee shirts gimmick.

Reaction Score
That's funny. Most of his stuff is lifted from here. Even threw in the "Fire P" tee shirts gimmick.

Yup - even Ruskin's WM needs to walk the tailgates kissing asses babies and shaking hands point. NSA schtuff!!

Reaction Score
Yup - even Ruskin's WM needs to walk the tailgates kissing asses babies and shaking hands point. NSA schtuff!!

The most annoying part of that is he's always looking down his nose and ripping the BY.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Lifted from here, but it's spot on...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would feel much better if Warde fired Pasqualoni today and then took Q&A from season ticket holders on how to enhance the gameday experience. That would buy him patience for at least 2 years of losing seasons as long as I know that he is TRYING. This dumpster fire status quo of retaining Pasqualoni and DeLeone and the lifeless gameday experience is crushing UCONN.

Reaction Score
I would have to assume the AD has nothing good to say about PP right now. So why speak up? The best Manuel would be able to say in public is a "vote of confidence" but that might not even be there. Me, personally, I am enjoying the silence. Manuel very likely wants to make a "signature hire" here.

Reaction Score
I would feel much better if Warde fired Pasqualoni today and then took Q&A from season ticket holders on how to enhance the gameday experience. That would buy him patience for at least 2 years of losing seasons as long as I know that he is TRYING. This dumpster fire status quo of retaining Pasqualoni and DeLeone and the lifeless gameday experience is crushing UCONN.
He hired one of the best head coach prospects for hockey. Perfect for this region. He even got the attention of GWoz. You can't say he is NOT trying.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
He hired one of the best head coach prospects for hockey. Perfect for this region. He even got the attention of GWoz. You can't say he is NOT trying.

Sorry Butch, I meant trying in football. And by trying, I mean trying to turn this sh1tstorm of a football program around.

Reaction Score
Honestly, it's great to have a sportswriter in state that uses his brain. I also like Ostrout and Duffy. I respect John Silver too.

Reaction Score
I would have to assume the AD has nothing good to say about PP right now. So why speak up? The best Manuel would be able to say in public is a "vote of confidence" but that might not even be there. Me, personally, I am enjoying the silence. Manuel very likely wants to make a "signature hire" here.

You okay??? That was one of the clearer/most rationale posts you have ever made. :D

Reaction Score
Does Warde get out and chat with people at tailgates? If he just talks to donors then he is missing the boat. He's an approachable guy, I chatted with him in Ramstein and I appreciated the email he sent me in December.

I support the guy even if he has done a few things I don't understand. I like DiMauro's article but Warde's silence is deafening. And it's probably the responsible adult thing to do. His words will carry more meaning leading into Michigan I think.

Reaction Score

Actually going to agree with this, Solid post.

Reaction Score
I don't give a crap about hearing what Warde Manuel has to say about anything.

Those of you who say the game day experience is lifeless are either not going to games, or aren't spending any time outside the stadium. The best part of UCONN football, for those that buy tickets and attend games regularly is most definitely within walking distance of the stadium, outside, on game days.

It's up to the program themselves, the people in charge of putting players and coaches on the field, and the coaches and players themselves, to make it worthwhile for the people outside, to come in, and stay in.

They're not holding up their part. I can tell you for sure, that in 10 + years now, of Rentschler field, I'd put the UCONN football tailgating diehards up against any in the country for the tailgates we put together and the college football atmosphere we create around the stadium on game days.

Fans, the diehard season ticket holder tailgaters, are doing our part in development. Inside the stadium on the field? Not so much.

So - I don't care what Warde Manuel has to say about any of that, I want to see action on making sure we've got a winner on the field, from the people he's in charge of supervising, and so far, we haven't had a winner, and I'm tired of it.

I'm going to be consistent on this on how I feel about things inside the stadium - I'm week to week now personally. For this week, it's win and things stay the same. Lose, and it's over. Start new. That's how I'm approaching it this week. We'll see how they do next Saturday. I won't know how I approach the week after, until late Saturday night.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
According to Desmond Connor, he was rip roaring angry last Thursday. I can only assume he is adhering to the old, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all," adage.

Fans have come to expect that the public vote of confidence is actually a euphemism for, " You've got about a week and a half left. Call the realtor." I don't think that is the prudent way to go...just yet. On the other hand he can't publicly undermine his coach either, or no one worth their salt will want to come here. It's a sticky situation that require very a measured response. To that end, I too don't blame him for not talking. However events have come to pass indicating that this is not business as usual and a statement is warranted.

If/when Mr. Manuel does address the situation, I expect him to preface it with, "I have prepared a statement, after which I will NOT be taking any questions."

Reaction Score
Actually going to agree with this, Solid post.
This observation is probably correct. He cant say much about PP directly in public. The fact would appear he is not supporting him and wont give him a public lifeline. But, Manuel can reassure the fans just like any good leader does when the ship hits an iceberg. He gets out on the decks and tells everybody to stay calm, we have a plan and rest assured the ship will make it into port. It is fascinating that there is such poor public relations. Lay out a vision. Simply saying we are aware folks are uneasy about the status of the program, but we have one mission and one mission only - to be a national football power and we will not rest until we achieve a status befitting one of the top state university's in the country. For God sake, all you have to do is communicate, be steadfast in vision, mean it, start following through and folks will follow.

Reaction Score
If/when Mr. Manuel does address the situation, I expect him to preface it with, "I have prepared a statement, after which I will NOT be taking any questions."

I agree, I don't want to hear a word from him, and I am assuming that his silence means that he's holed up in the bowels of Gampel researching qualified coordinators on BCS staffs. He's not a dumb man and his boss isn't dumb, either.

The manner and speed with which Dr. Herbst addressed personnel issues upon her arrival tell me that she will not take this lightly.

Reaction Score
I agree, I don't want to hear a word from him, and I am assuming that his silence means that he's holed up in the bowels of Gampel researching qualified coordinators on BCS staffs. He's not a dumb man and his boss isn't dumb, either.

The manner and speed with which Dr. Herbst addressed personnel issues upon her arrival tell me that she will not take this lightly.

You have an admirable faith in a group that has missed every opportunity to do something meaningful. Since we cant go back in time, I can only hope you are right and major, bold changes are afoot. This includes Coaching and also Conference matters. We have to buy our way into a Power Conference or sue our way to inclusion on the major bowl system. If we are in the AAC for ten years, Connecticut's investment is done.

Reaction Score
I think that when DiMauro comparing him positively to Hathaway, that's what I'd call damning with faint praise, no? When you look at the stuff Bates has done, he invited 300 former season ticket holders to a meeting to find out why they left and how he could get them back. He brought in a bunch of current season ticket holders and asked what should be done to improve the game day atmosphere. Went around the BC tailgates last weekend talking to people, snacking on folks' offerings. I'm sure Warde is a nice fellow. he is simply better suited for a place like Buffalo that competes on a lower level, loser profile. He has been and likely will continue to be a disaster at UConn.

And Bluedog, the reason Warde does none of those things is it is beyond him. When you are clueless it is tough to put forth a believable position.

Reaction Score

Agree with the way SH has handled personnel issues, mostly successfully (except for the raises, which were politically tone-deaf,). There's jut one major difference here -- the head of the board of trustees helped bring PP here and is firmly in his corner, and either blind to what's happening to the program or putting old-boy-network relationships over the good of the program and school.

I've been hearing all week you can't fire a coach mid-season except for extenuating circumstances. If conference realignment and the national perception of UConn in the wake of the Towson loss isn't 'extenuating circumstances' than what the heck is? Blue Dogs (below) has it right. Manuel at a minimum can talk about the program and not use PPs name. That works.

But, Manuel can reassure the fans just like any good leader does when the ship hits an iceberg. He gets out on the decks and tells everybody to stay calm, we have a plan and rest assured the ship will make it into port. It is fascinating that there is such poor public relations.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"The guy's probably not in the mood to sing spirituals" Really, Mike?

Reaction Score
Not so sure about Herbst and her personnel management, either. She wouldn't be the first new boss to be quick to replace the existing staff but unable to see the flaws in "her people." We'll see, I suppose, but if she wants to make a dramatic move, I have a suggestion as to who she could replace. His nickname is Rock Star...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom