Fagnano it is | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

Reaction Score
What?
Saturday: "We will probably announce Monday"
Monday: "We will actually announce Wednesday"
Wednesday: "Practice cancelled, we will not be announcing QB1 today"
Also Wednesday: "Just kidding, here is a press release of the QB1!"

That is exactly what NOT to do in PR 101.

Last edited:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Maybe Maine wasn’t that good. Tim Boyle couldn’t play at UConn and is in nfl. It is about the talent around you unless you are a great QB.

It comes down to can you run the offense around you. If Fangnano takes care of the ball and passes, what ya gonna do?
Look I am cheering for him- but he was absolutely terrible in the Spring “Game” they held and has proven to be somewhat limited in the accuracy department. He’s started 4 years in FCS and has 3 TOTAL games with 300 yards passing. I’m trying not to just box score scout and I’m sure we’ll run the ball, make short throws, move the chains, etc to eat clock but I am pretty shocked as I was almost certain this was going to be a purely depth add rather than a guy you trot out to start at QB against NC State

Reaction Score
I guess Phil Steele knew he had the inside track?

"Earning a spot on the Preseason All-Independent second team was r-junior wide receiver Kevan Clercius (Montreal, QC), r-junior defensive lineman Dal'mont Gourdine (North Charleston, SC), r-junior offensive lineman Valentin Senn (Volders, Austria), senior quarterback Joseph Fagnano (Williamsport, PA) and sophomore running back and kick returner Victor Rosa (Bristol, CT). "

Reaction Score
The spring game is one day and the plays calls are vanilla. FCS 5th year kids come to division 1 to play. Coaches have said the 2 were very close the past few weeks so not totally surprising. Agree with previous post that his stats were pretty damn good for a 2-9 team.

Let’s go Joe! If he performs, we like him. If not, you make a QB change at some point and we have a more than capable backup.

In Mora we trust!

Reaction Score
Look I am cheering for him- but he was absolutely terrible in the Spring “Game” they held and has proven to be somewhat limited in the accuracy department. He’s started 4 years in FCS and has 3 TOTAL games with 300 yards passing. I’m trying not to just box score scout and I’m sure we’ll run the ball, make short throws, move the chains, etc to eat clock but I am pretty shocked as I was almost certain this was going to be a purely depth add rather than a guy you trot out to start at QB against NC State

I watched the highlights above and I am wondering how we can run the RPO with him. He does not appear to be super quick. I also read the article on the RPO earlier. Maybe they are looking for better balance of traditional throwing/running. Go Joe, just win baby!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I won't completely dismiss the conspiracy theory of wanting to avoid a 98% healthy Roberson getting banged up against NC State and missing future snaps.

I also won't dismiss the conspiracy theory it was a fair competition, a competent staff evaluated their options, and chose Fagnano.

Reaction Score
I am absolutely shocked to be honest. I really hope to be pleasantly surprised but his stats against FBS teams last year (48% completion against BC, 44% against UNM) with 2 TDs and 3 INT are really not good. QB of a 2-9 FCS team is going to come up to FBS and lead us to success? I will wait and see.
This is my thought exactly. Charlton gets his "guy" and I don't think thats a good thing, mostly because I don't think Charlton showed much promise last year. We're really banking the entire offense on a mediocre-at-best FCS offensive tandem? Sure, I know Charlton and Fagnano had success together at Maine, but it's also Maine. Would rather have the Holy Cross QB/OC combo that torched us at The Rent a few years ago than the scrubs from Maine.

Out of all the amazing decisions of the Mora era so far, hiring Charlton/going with Fagnano are by far the most baffling. He knows more than I do so hoping for the best!

Reaction Score
He did, but Eric Watts continually shoved the RT into him. Watts single handedly distorted any honest assessment of Fagnano's performance that day.

Reaction Score
video above vs. bc check out

play starts at 11:12 and another that starts at 29:45

Reaction Score
This is my thought exactly. Charlton gets his "guy" and I don't think thats a good thing, mostly because I don't think Charlton showed much promise last year. We're really banking the entire offense on a mediocre-at-best FCS offensive tandem? Sure, I know Charlton and Fagnano had success together at Maine, but it's also Maine. Would rather have the Holy Cross QB/OC combo that torched us at The Rent a few years ago than the scrubs from Maine.

Out of all the amazing decisions of the Mora era so far, hiring Charlton/going with Fagnano are by far the most baffling. He knows more than I do so hoping for the best!
Wow. This is so emotional and over the top. Did you have money on the starter based on the Courant's odds or something?

Reaction Score
Fagnano has played a lot more football than Roberson. Reps matter, especially at QB. If he won the job fair and square and it isn't just an injury thing with Roberson then this is a good sign.

People can say whatever they want about his production, but what has Roberson done besides be a 4* in high school?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I am absolutely shocked to be honest. I really hope to be pleasantly surprised but his stats against FBS teams last year (48% completion against BC, 44% against UNM) with 2 TDs and 3 INT are really not good. QB of a 2-9 FCS team is going to come up to FBS and lead us to success? I will wait and see.
I follow Maine closely - Fagnano was a huge loss and he is going to be good for us (UConn). He had zero time against BC and UNM so I wouldn’t put stock in those numbers.

He is a steady, consistent presence and he doesn’t force throws. He will be an average FBS QB IMHO, which is a huge step forward in the last decade of UConn football. I get he has to prove himself but I’ll stick my neck out and say he will do just that.

Reaction Score
How can ANYONE who watches the actual game .. scroll back i posted the link ... talk about his stats. Go back and fast forward to offensive sets vs. BC. He passes the eye test.

From game footage, I get BC was bad last year, but he looks better than our QB vs. them. Also, Maine used Xavier Scott A LOT ... but I see a QB who is accurate on many throws and is being asked to do a lot. The INT's that hit the stat books are from last second to half hailmarry's etc going into the half etc. Fagnano is actually allowed to throw across the middle ... something we haven't trusted a QB to do in a LONG LONG TIME

Reaction Score
A quarterback is only as good as his offensive line, and Fagnano had an FCS o-line going up against FBS d-linemen in those 2 games. I'm anticipating his numbers at UConn will be better given the experienced o-line he will now be behind.

Reaction Score
From game footbage I get BC was bad last year but he looks better than our QB with lesser talent around him. Also Maine used Xavier Scott ALOT ... but I see a QB who is accurate on many throws and is being asked to a do a lot. The INT's are from last second to half hailmarry's etc. He is actually allowed to throw across the middle ... something we haven't trusted a QB to do in a LONG LONG TIME

In fairness to not throwing across the middle last year, Aaron Turner had alligator arms and none of our TEs absent Jolly could run away from me in coverage.

Reaction Score
Absolutely gutted here. I trust Mora, but I really wanted it to be Roberson or Turner. Either would seemingly offer us more than a year at the position, better dual threat options, and give us more hope for future growth. I very much hope to be proven wrong and that Fagnano shines against NCST.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom