Ex-UConn coach Edsall a national punching bag - CT Post | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ex-UConn coach Edsall a national punching bag - CT Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree. Mack Brown's Texas team went 8-5 this year. They must have had limited talent. Since he's been there for about a decade or more, Mack Brown sucks. Let's start a new post that says, "Mack Brown Sucks." Wait, what's that, you say? Texas had a lot of talent?? So then Mack Brown must REALLY SUCK!! And this whole time, we've been focusing on Randy! Can you believe it?? Silly us!! :confused:
[/quote]
That's your defense of Randy? Somebody else had a bad season? No sale.

Reaction Score
For me, it was when I realized that FUCRE's peak would be top 35 and 8-5.

Make no mistake - we got in the Fiesta Bowl through contracts and legalities (someone had to come from the BE) and not through on field excellence.

Once we showed up there, it was obvious to the world that Randy's peak didn't belong on the same field as a "normal" BCS team.[
[/quote]
So does this make you a "hater"?

Reaction Score
Was that before or after we entered our first BCS game against Oklahoma? (I'm guessing the week before that game, you weren't very vocal about his lack of coaching ability). Or maybe it was when we upset WVU along the way? Or maybe it was the time we beat South Carolina at a neutral site? Or maybe before that when we beat Notre Dame at ND?

His conservative nature may have cost us some games where we were the more athletic team, but it also won us some games when we clearly were not....

...again, I'm not going to build a statue for him. But I'm not going to act like he accomplished nothing here, either.

You'd have guessed wrong. The simplest I could make it, could Randy take us to the next level. To me the next level means 10-2, 11-1, with a BCS bid. I believe the answer to be no. It really is no more complicated than that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
[quote="Palatine, post: 176616, member: 974"
That's your defense of Randy? Somebody else had a bad season? No sale.[/quote]

I'm not selling anything, so you don't have to buy anything. If the idea is that Randy wasn't a good coach for us, that is just a flat out lie. Plain and simple. The history is there. The records are there. If the statement is that Randy is not Urban Meyer, then this is a completely different conversation, people! Again, I will repeat what I stated about 86 posts ago; I'm not going to build a statue for the guy, but I'm also not going to say that he wasn't a good coach. I can't put it any simpler than that. If you are all arguing that the man wasn't Bill Parcells, that's fine with me.

Then, if that is the new argument, I would ask the following questions: Do you believe that a program that just jumped from 1-AA to 1-A should have had a Bill Parcells or an Urban Meyer already at the helm? And do you believe that the recruiting base should be equivalent to a Florida or Ohio State? If the answer to either one of those questions is "yes", please let me know, so that I can rest easy, knowing that I am in a chat room full of lunatics (see my signature line below)...

Reaction Score
Of course nobody mentions when we were 3-5 after a tough loss to RU and a 26-0 beat down by UL our guys sucked it up and won out (5 straight) to EARN a trip to the Fiesta Bowl.

No good coaching there. It was all due to a bad Big East.

Why is it so hard to give credit where credit is due? We could just as easily have been a Buffalo type program.

Was it time for him to go? Yes. Did he leave in a piss poor manner? Big yes.

Did he do a better than average job at UConn? A big yes. All you experts have no idea what it takes to do what he did and you look silly to the people who know best. The players and their parents.

Randy built a very strong foundation that, if handled properly, can grow into something special.

I wish him well at MD but won't lose a minute worth of sleep if he fails.

It really is time to enjoy the next chapter. Looks like our recruiting is off to a good start.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Of course nobody mentions we were 3-5 after a tough loss to RU and a 26-0 beat down by UL our guys sucked it up and won out (5 straight) to EARN a trip to the Fiesta Bowl.

Why is it so hard to give credit where credit is due? We could just as easily have been a Buffalo type program.

Did he do a better than average job at UConn? A big yes. All you experts have no idea what it takes to do what he did and you look silly to the people who know best. The players and their parents.

Randy built a very strong foundation that, if handled properly, can grow into something special.

It really is time to enjoy the next chapter. Looks like our recruiting is off to a good start.

I couldn't have said it any better than this, Sportsart (and I didn't say it any better, clearly). And throughout the whole last hour, I still keep thinking that I didn't take your advice about 20 posts ago. You were right.....you were right...

Reaction Score
I couldn't have said it any better than this, Sportsart (and I didn't say it any better, clearly). And throughout the whole last hour, I still keep thinking that I didn't take your advice about 20 posts ago. You were right.....you were right...

Someday I hope to take my own advice.

Reaction Score
Of course nobody mentions when we were 3-5 after a tough loss to RU and a 26-0 beat down by UL our guys sucked it up and won out (5 straight) to EARN a trip to the Fiesta Bowl.

Art speaking for myself. I don't deny he did those things. I think we weren't going any higher with him. To the poster who mentioned Parcells and Meyer, no one expected him to be that, but RE himself acted like he was that. The flipside to the coaching, was that he was annoying everytime he spoke save for the Jasper Tragedy. What are we arguing at this point. Lets be thankful he left on his own terms. Win win for everyone if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Sorry all you haters out there, but Randy Edsall will ultimately prevail in this saga. He is doing what is necessary to clean up an out of control program and the team that remains will win -- this year! Then all the media bashers can eat his droppings.

I wish there was a dislike button. You'd get one for this ridiculous comment.

Reaction Score
wow you guys are still going on this. #shocked.

i'd left this thread alone for a few days and thought i'd check in on it. it's amazing how often the same thing can be repeated. i think everyone knows where everyone stands and i doubt anyone is going to change tanyone's mind at this point. let's bury it. like when Rick Rubin had a funeral for the word "def" we need to have a funeral for discussions on Randy. i suggest there be no eulogy

Reaction Score
I wish there was a dislike button. You'd get one for this ridiculous comment.
Really? Sorry you feel that way. So what part of the comment do you deem ridiculous? That Edsall will win at Maryland, that he's cleaning up the program (kind of like needs to happen evidently with UCLA basketball), or that he'll have the last laugh?
I actually think the comment is right on the money.I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom